Are the moderators being subversive and locking out complaint posts?

kohanmike

LOL - this could be a discussion in and of itself. Don't you see it!? Its an artist palette!

No, Mr. Palm, I don't see it for a couple of reasons. The thumb indent and finger hole usually found in a palette appear to be merged into confusion. There's not enough contrast between the blue and gray.

Here's something I through together very roughly just now that might be more consistent with photo.net and a palette. ( I should have used a heavier line for the palette border.)

576269933_photonetpalettemockup.thumb.jpg.c18dfb92e9e9c71260fdb50da09fd3b6.jpg

Edited by Robert W. Pillow

We'll have to formulate a bid process for holes. Three on each side. And what will be the fee for what goes *around* the holes?

I think we're thinking along the same line -- collaboration -- because of the word "We'll ... " in your response. Brainstorm with management about possible logos (links as art), commission a graphics artist to develop designs based on the discussion, and solicit member opinion through a vote on the final choice from mock-ups. If no clear preference exists, request for suggestions for improvement.

Don't you see it!? Its an artist palette!

I didn't get it either. That's what distinguishes a great logo--that it needs to be explained to anyone who sees it. I don't know what painter's tools have to do with photography. A tongue-in-cheek suggestion: How about a photographer caught in a gill net?

Hector, it *was* a great logo until the termites got hold of it (the old photo.net was infested with termites). A few days ago, the logo was solid blue. Now look at it: the big blue blob is losing its nut.<br><br>

Robert, where were we? Oh, yes. I'd add that we will surely need to hire a team of engineering consultants to prepare a 300 page review of the slope/gradient problems of that hole reference it's structural supports. And/or request a price for termite control measures that don't turn everything blue.

• Like 1

Hector, it *was* a great logo until the termites got hold of it (the old photo.net was infested with termites). A few days ago, the logo was solid blue. Now look at it: the big blue blob is losing its nut.<br><br>

Robert, where were we? Oh, yes. I'd add that we will surely need to hire a team of engineering consultants to prepare a 300 page review of the slope/gradient problems of that hole reference it's structural supports. And/or request a price for termite control measures that don't turn everything blue.

You lost me. Maybe a second espresso will help.

Julie H wrote :

"

Hector, it *was* a great logo until the termites got hold of it (the old photo.net was infested with termites). A few days ago, the logo was solid blue. Now look at it: the big blue blob is losing its nut."

We obviously need the help of the Termitinator. Talking of Big Blue - no, I won't even go there. 'Open pod bay doors, please, HAL'

Because this thread is concerns the proper placement of comments, I'm posting news about what I consider a misplaced survey concerning the return of ratings to photo.net here.

For some reason, a survey on whether or not you want ratings back on photo.net is in under the Progress Report 2/23 thread on the help forum.

We obviously need the help of the Termitinator.

<br><br>[Danny DeVito in to Arnold in Twins] "What's wrong with you? You look like you've been stung all over by bees!" Termite bites. Trust me.

<br><br>

You know Deep Blue beat Garry Kasparov. The only other Garry with two r's that I know of is famous photographer Garry Winogrand. Then we have Glen with two n's. Just saying ...

<br><br>

Tony, we might have to stop. I think Robert wants to get back to the OP which is ... [reading the thread title] never mind ...

• Like 1

<br><br>[Danny DeVito in to Arnold in Twins] "What's wrong with you? You look like you've been stung all over by bees!" Termite bites. Trust me.

<br><br>

You know Deep Blue beat Garry Kasparov. The only other Garry with two r's that I know of is famous photographer Garry Winogrand. Then we have Glen with two n's. Just saying ...

<br><br>

Tony, we might have to stop. I think Robert wants to get back to the OP which is ... [reading the thread title] never mind ...

You may talk about whatever suits you. I'm just trying to get the word out on the ratings' survey that ends 26 February. It just seems to me to get the best participation, meaning lots of responses, it would have been posted conspicuously instead of stuck inside an unrelated post.

You may talk about whatever suits you. I'm just trying to get the word out on the ratings' survey that ends 26 February. It just seems to me to get the best participation, meaning lots of responses, it would have been posted conspicuously instead of stuck inside an unrelated post.

@robert - The post heading was updated to reflect the inclusion of the poll. Its not the end all be all and (I think) we can extend the time period on it.

@robert - The post heading was updated to reflect the inclusion of the poll. Its not the end all be all and (I think) we can extend the time period on it.

Mr. Palm, the updated heading is step in the right direction and an extension for the deadline of the survey is one way to increase participation. However, a site-wide broadcast concerning the existence of the survey with a link would draw more attention to the question.

Also, I'm glad to see the survey is not intended to be the only basis for consideration. I'm sure statistics concerning the level of participation in the old site's ratings' system would be of interest to many.

agreed, however please keep in mind there is a fair amount of work that would go into bringing a ratings system back and most of that work is to address the "gaming of the system" that could occur in the old system. How people have time to create new accounts and mate rate artificially inflating ratings is beyond me, but it did exist - so we'll need to design a system that can address that - otherwise I see little point. I think we would all agree that IF you are going to have ratings, they must be if nothing else...accurate.

Glenn: I'm not a proponent of ratings, primarily because of the gaming. If you do bring it back, limit participation to paying members. If someone wants to pay for multiple memberships just to influence votes, pfft, let them, it'll help pay for improvements ;)... Mike

agreed, however please keep in mind there is a fair amount of work that would go into bringing a ratings system back and most of that work is to address the "gaming of the system" that could occur in the old system. How people have time to create new accounts and mate rate artificially inflating ratings is beyond me, but it did exist - so we'll need to design a system that can address that - otherwise I see little point. I think we would all agree that IF you are going to have ratings, they must be if nothing else...accurate.

Mr. Palm, I'm sure you guys applied logic and rules in the 2.1 picture "like" function to prevent the kind of manipulation noted in the paper that Leslie referenced in the progress update for 2/23. I would hope that algorithm could be used in a new ratings' system to prevent undeserved numbers in favor of a photographer or picture. Of course, with the "like" system, revenge "not likes" wouldn't be an issue. That said, the old system handled revenge ratings to my satisfaction or perhaps I just assumed my work was flawed to some extent. :-)

So rather than continue on with "despite its flaws" would this not create a good opportunity to reassess what a fair, accurate and overall "good" ratings system would look like? Leslie opened up a thread to the discussion - lets see what the community has to say.

Mr. Palm, I will support a ratings' system based on what the community says is fair, accurate, and meaningful.