Absorbing Modern Film Cameras

• 4 weeks later...
Lots of responses. Perhaps the next step is to "test the water". One way would be for those of us who participate in the weekend classic film camera thread to possibly make one out of three (just a suggestion) of our submitted image be from a modern film camera and observe the reactions. This might help the administration to decide if such a merger is beneficial to everyone. For example, for two Minolta SRT images I could include a Maxxum 9xi image or maybe a Pentax Zx-5.

It used to be that each forum had a little description of what should go there, and what should go somewhere else. I don't see that anymore. I always liked the Nikon forum, which allowed posts where a Nikon product was used anywhere along the way. You could, for example, use a Nikon scanner on slides from a Canon camera, with a lens made by someone else.

If someone uses a more modern camera in a less modern mode, manual exposure and manual focus, I don't see that it wouldn't belong here. I have an FE2, which is pretty classic by now, manual focus, but I might use the autoexposure mode.

-- glen

If there's a merger, I think provided that 'Classic' remains in the forum name it will send the right message. The regular contributors here and (with much lower traffic) on MFC strike a nice balance between historical interest, technical knowledge and showing us what the cameras can do in their hands. To me it seems it's more about a particular attitude than a strict definition of what gear is 'allowed'. If someone wants to know whether VR lenses or CLS flash are compatible with the F100, their questions belong over on the Nikon forum. But if someone wants to talk about the almost forgotten AF version of the Nikon F3 they just picked up for the fun of it, and their heroically misguided attempts to shoot sports with early 80s autofocus just to see if it's possible, I'd be happy to read it here.

The forum description blurb that used to be at the side of the home page no longer exists. As the moderator I was thinking of placing one at the top of the threads as a sticky post. I won't bother. I don't know what the standard should be. The Nikon F3 goes back 37 years to 1980 and is listed in McKeown's Guide to Antique and <I> Classic</I> Cameras as is the F4. Apparently even "antique" and "classic" cameras can have auto focus and auto exposure. I am not going to worry about enforcing a strict definition of what can and cannot be posted here. I think most users will realize what is appropriate and what is not. Or, I will just zap the thread to a more appropriate forum myself.
James G. Dainis