Nikon Wednesday 2016: #49

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alas, carry-out diners ... Chef Peng Chang-Kuei, the man who created General Tso's Chicken, died last week at the age of 98. But his beloved spicy, greasy meat candy dish will live on. We finally got around to an honorary order of his dish this evening after a long day of getting other things done. It's a good thing it comes in a decent container, because we can <em>never</em> finish that on the first try. <br /><br />What have you got for us on this fine Nikon Wednesday? Looking forward to the week's delights, even if it doesn't involve a bed of rice and cheap chop sticks.</p><div>00eGVz-566763684.thumb.jpg.5946bc853211de5f5c253e880de1f8db.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice everyone - and Patrick: nice tracking.<br>

Appropriately enough, my tour of the US has reached Westworld (well, Monument Valley). No spoilers, please - the last two episodes are on my PVR. Monument Valley is cool, give or take it being very hot - it helped that we turned up late, but our guide had kindly waited for us (since we were the only two on his tour). I'd love to stretch this over two weeks, but... must... edit. So no classic mittens, no dragon rock, no elephant, no Snoopy, no sisters, no... person on a horse. (I don't know why they had a horse for tourists to climb on in the middle of nowhere, but hey.) Oh, and no eagle cave view (the one next to Moccasin Arch), although apart from the weird eagle it's coolest for the acoustics, especially if your guide has a flute. Incidentally, Monument Valley is very nice in Google Earth when I was checking locations - I must try it on my friend's HTC Vive.<br>

I don't have the hang of "no words", do I? Here's a small accident with a catapult.</p><div>00eGYf-566770584.thumb.jpg.10dbc829a3de12c7431e5a4b61eb261d.jpg</div>

<p>This time of year working hours begin and end in the dark, so outdoor photo opportunities are limited to lunchtime and weekends, weather permitting. I took the new AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm/2.8 VR out for a stroll at lunchtime on Monday, with the following results. I love this new lens!</p><div>00eGYw-566771284.thumb.jpg.9472137b8344673282666da86fb85167.jpg</div>

<p>Bill: Thank you, most kind (though it's all been the geography rather than any skill on my part); it's a pleasure to post to threads with such inspiring images from everyone else! Canyonlands next; I'll try to have inflicted my Yellowstone snaps on you before I go back at the end of January!<br />

<br />

By the way, my google-fu recovered: that's the <i>North</i> Window in Monument Valley, for posterity.</p>