Camera recommendation for young teen learning photography

sarah_lange1

<p>Hi: <br>

I have a friend who is a freshman in high school. She is learning photography and is taking a class that will last all year long. What would be a good camera for her parents to buy? I recommended a Nikon DSLR because that's what I know and like and an SLR will enable her to learn the most by being able to use different lenses -- rather than being limited by a fixed lens on a point and shoot. <br>

However, getting an SLR is a pretty big investment -- at least an FX model -- -- for a student who may or may not continue studying photography. I am wondering if there is a good and versatile and sophisticated point and shoot that will be more affordable yet still allow her to learn a lot. For example, if the lens zooms and the settings can be used on Manual. Or perhaps an SLR with a DX sensor is a compromise? <br>

Thank you!</p>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Any decent digital SLR will allow manual control, when desired.<br /> Nikon or Canon? meh. If you're going to be 'helping' her, then getting the same marque as you shoot is a good idea. Otherwise, she'd do well to go someplace where she can "feel" the camera and the "fit" to her hands.</p>

<p>However, I do strongly recommend a "crop" body (=DX=APS-C) format -- it will make the purchase with a "kit" lens much more affordable. It's not so much a compromise as simply a different image format.<br /> The kit DX zoom lenses (typically something like 18-55mm) are actually much better optically than their prices suggest.</p>

<p>A good quality "pre-owned" digital SLR from KEH, B&H, or Adorama with guarantee is something that you might consider to save still further costs, for something she may, or may not, take to.</p>

<p>Unless the budget is not an issue, IMO there is no need to get FX for a high school freshman. I would suggest something from the D7000 family, i.e. D7000, D7100, or D7200, used or new, depending on the budget. Even a new D7200 is well below $1000 nowadays.</p>

<p>Unless one shoots "machine gun" style, the advantage from the D7200 over the D7100 is somewhat limited. The D7200 has a deeper RAW buffer and somewhat better high ISO results. Otherwise, the AF system is mostly the same.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, she is better off saving a bit on the camera body and get 1 or 2 extra lenses.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I think I was concerned a DX format would be limiting in that she wouldn't be able to use DX-compatible senses with an FX camera down the road. Or, is it the other way around, that FX lenses can't be used on a DX camera? <br>

Stephen, good question, I do not know. However since I have been asked for some recommendations my guess is the school hasn't offered any or doesn't have any requirements or guidelines for equipment. But I will ask her parents. </p>

<p>I agree with the recommendations above that a DX camera is perfectly suitable, and especially agree with Shun that something from the D7xxx family would be excellent. The other Nikon DX cameras either lack the most convenient controls (D3xxx and D5xxx) or cost as much as a good FX camera (the D500).</p>

<p>FX lenses can be used on FX or DX. DX lenses cannot be used on FX bodies.</p>

<p>Sarah, after a year, this girl could be totally not interested in photography any more or she would like to upgrade to some more advanced equipment for serious photography. IMO, I wouldn't worry about what she may need a year or two down the road. A DX body is perfectly fine for a beginner.</p>

<p>I am suggesting a D7000 series body because they all have two command dials and are good for full manual controls if she wants to use them and understand what the effects are. They also all have depth of field preview and live view.</p>

<p>The bigger question is probably about lenses and maybe a flash. If you can provide some ideas about the overall budget, it would help us provide more appropriate answers. If the parents can spend $5000, I can totally recommend an FX D750 body, but most parents don't have that kind of budget for a teenager.</p>

<p>Thanks Shun Cheung. Yes, I hear you on the DX recommendation. Makes sense, they are so much cheaper. I don't know the budget but I doubt it's anywhere near $5,000. So I wanted to give them some options, for example a recommendation or two in point and shoots (with manual controls, etc....) and a recommendation or two in SLRs. My guess is they want to stay under a $1,000 just given that, as you say, she may lose interest in photography and the main purpose of this new camera is to be able to take full advantage of the class she is taking and learn as much as possible. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Sarah - FWIWhHow about a micro 4/3 as a starter? I doubt she'll be doing any printing bigger than 8x10, probably mostly for web stuff, and a micro 4/3 does a good job on that. You could easily get a used body, zoom lens, battery, charger, cables and software for under $500.</p>

<p>These one-lens-wonders P&S that could go to F2.8 or better, they will likely be more costly....even more so than lightly used DX model. I'd nudge her (her parents) to a decent camera body + a lens or two (primes ?). The main thing is that she truely understands what it takes to obtain a good photo, and that means frame aesthetics and how the items of the "triangle" intermingle: aperture, shutter and ISO's. Sure, there is more, but many people don't get the basics and they struggle (look at the net). The point I'm making is, that she could pick up (later later) any camera, whether it's expensive or not, and make a wonderful image. Not sure that I can state that knowledge trumps technology, but one can produce some interesting and nice images if both are utilized intelligently.</p>

<p>Good luck choosing.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Thanks Leszek. Yes, if a good P&S is as much or more than an SLR, definitely should go the SLR route. So much more versatile. Thanks for your advice and I agree that the triangle is the most important thing to learn right now. </p>

<p>Thanks Stephen, I don't know what a micro 4/3 is. I'll look it up. </p>

Most modern P&S or bridge cameras don't allow

much change in aperture range, and so will be

limited as a learning tool. Even worse, some low

end models offering "aperture" control fake it by

dropping an ND filter in the optical path, thus giving

absolutely no control over depth of field.

An entry level DX DSLR will certainly be more than

sufficient to learn on. As will most mirrorless

2/3rds cameras. Anything else needs to be

examined carefully to ensure it really offers the

facilites advertised. PASM on the mode dial is no

guarantee that a camera offers control over all

exposure parameters.

<p>Sarah ... the former teacher in me asks: What does the young high school student want? I know this camera might be intended as a surprise. But it's possible she's got her own ideas about what constitutes a great starter camera. She might want the same one as her best friend (or not). And her school may have recommended models and makes. Perhaps as the camera-savvy one in the bunch, you might have a conversation with this young girl and see what's what. Just my two cents.</p>
David H

<p>It is crucial that she get something that can be operated in manual only mode imho.<br /><br />that requires an SLR, and i'd get something cheap and used.<br /><br />D90 with an 18-55mm kit zoom is probably perfect and probably super cheap used.<br /><br />If buying current, I'd buy the very bottom of the line currently available Nikon DSLR.</p>

<p>You can quickly spend two or three thousand dollars on an FX camera, even buying used gear. And don't forget that cameras quickly lose value, just like last year's laptop or phone does. The D7xxx series is Nikon's best value by far. Her photos will be no more interesting if she uses a D7100 or a D810. My own son got interested in cameras when he was 16, so I bought him one. Then, he discovered girls. Hasn't touched a camera since. Does seem to touch the girls quite a bit though.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I think it's very important to find out what the school is going to expect the student to have, and it's not limited to the camera. If the school downplays the camera capability but expects the student to have a computer with Photoshop on it, that may change the purchase decisions. A friend's daughter took a photography course (local community college) and it turned out to be 98% Photoshop and almost no instruction regarding how to take a photo. Knowing what the school has planned has a big influence, and without any info about that, you could be recommending a $500-1,000 purchase that may ultimately prove unnecessary.</p>

<p>Hi Sarah - the micro 4/3 is typically a small body, larger than a P&S, with a smaller sensor than your typical crop, but larger than a P&S. However, the crop factor means that a 35mm lens is the equivalent of a 70mm lens on full frame. Most are full featured, including video, and able to use a variety of both legacy lenses and AF ones made for micro 4/3 bodies. I picked up a used one a couple of years ago from Roberts camera (whole pkg was about $280) and it has become my most frequently used camera. About the size of a Leica. More recent models have articulating screens at the rear. Here's a picture of mine with the kit lens (rarely used these days). IMHO leading mfrs are Panasonic and Olympus.</p><div>00eFs3-566653884.JPG.20dbbb95db7412c2eeadda6411e8b07a.JPG</div>

Thanks everyone! All really good points and good suggestions.

David, that's a good thought, about what she wants. I don't know but will ask her mom if she knows either what she wants or if the

Sschool has made any recommendations.

Peter, I think you are exactly right, it has to able to operate all in manual and need not be anything fancier than a basic or older dslr.

Thanks.

Kent, that's funny. I hope you're keeping the camera exercised for him. But seriously, it sounds like I should suggest the 7000 series. You

guys have convinced me a DX is ok for now. And yes, the FX are not necessary and super pricey.

Bob, yes, the school is asking her to have image editing software too. But since I know what to recommend on that I did not ask about it

here. But you make a good point about the curriculum for the class and what will be taught. I will ask her mom.

Thanks for the explanation on the 4/3 Stephen. Sounds like the DX? Except that the micro is smaller?

<p>Following up on what David and Bob said, I would suggest spending well toward the low end of their budget for something that meets both the schools minimum requirements and the minimum requirements that everyone has been suggesting here:<br>

* something that one *could* grow with. (DSLR or mirrorless with interchangeable lens and a "system" of lenses and accessories behind it -- Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Fuji etc)<br>

* Sensor size big enough to match 35mm film quality. (in my opinion that is Micro-4/3 or larger. I own M4/3 and would recommend DX if not much more expensive.)<br>

* easy to use in manual mode with full control.<br>

* small to moderate range kit zoom.</p>

<p>The point is that if her parents spend no more than half their theoretical budget, they have money in reserve in case she gets interested in some aspect of photography that requires some specific gear (flash, macro lens, whatever). If she doesn't get that interested they have saved money. If she does, she gets the pleasure of picking her own direction with a small budget to fund it.<br>

In my own youth the $10 Argus C3 was not enough camera, but the Nikormat that my father helped me buy served me for almost 30 years -- until digital came along. </p>

My daughter had an excellent high school photo class

experience with a D5000, 18-55 and 55- 200 mm kit

lenses, and a set of extension tubes so she could

experiment with macro. All was purchased used for

under $500 US. She used PS as provided at school for

pp. I really like the D7XXX series, but even a D3300

would be more than sufficient.