Hello from Michigan, college trained photographer, but no business skills

kay_brown1

<p>Hello from Michigan, USA. <br /><br />I am a middle aged former college student who majored in photography from 2009-2013. Though I was taught photography skills in both digital and film, and learned the history of photography, I was never taught the business side of photography. Many colleges seem to leave out that important detail. So here I am, in student loan debt, and photography is basically a hobby. I've only been paid a few times, but I shoot mostly events like outdoor concert venues, swing dancing, local car shows, anything that interests me. I've done a few photo sessions, but twice as a tag-a-long for the experience, and a few portrait freebies as a part of a student project. <br /><br />I just can't seem to get myself launched into business mode. This is my first time on Photo.net and I'm hoping to learn about the business side of photography, but often in cases like mine, it's nicer to have an actual mentor to work with. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town and have limited options. <br /><br />I would like to start doing portrait photography, because from what I've heard, that's the only way to pay the bills. I'm pretty relaxed around people and and starting to feel confident enough on how to 'direct' them in a photo shoot, I just don't know how to handle the business side of it. In fact, that's the bane of my existence. I have no idea where to start. </p>

<p>Hello. Welcome.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just don't know how to handle the business side of it. In fact, that's the bane of my existence. I have no idea where to start.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Asking questions is a start. Asking questions is one method of attaining information. Hence you have started: so you now no longer need to worry about "where do I start". That's one hurdle that you are over, so you can tick that off your check list. You do have a check list; and a time line; and marker points for this business building exercise . . . yes?</p>

<p>You having matriculated from College, I expect that you have a few ideas about methods<em> other than</em> asking questions to attain information . . . maybe those other methods of attaining information should be on your very basic check list.</p>

<p>Then consider adding to your check list the <em>sources</em> which you consider relevant.</p>

<p>Sifting the wheat from the chaff in all the answers and all the information you gather is one of the next steps: doing that will help you choose a good path for your journey and also will assist you to rank the worth and relevance of the information and the sources of the information.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>> <strong>What</strong> was (were) your Minor degree Subjects?<br /> > <strong>What</strong>: business; employment; trade/professional; general life experiences do you bring?<br /> > <strong>Why</strong> is it that in cases like yours, is it "nicer" to have a Mentor<br /> > <strong>What</strong> are you seeking - a Photographer as a Mentor; or a Business Coach . . . (both perhaps) ?<br /> > <strong>What</strong> did you do before 2009 and what have you done since 2013?<br /> > <strong>Why</strong> can't you get yourself launched into 'Business Mode'?<br /> > <strong>How</strong> much Capital (approx) do you have to invest in your Business?<br /> > <strong>Do</strong> you have an adequate current income stream / are you placed free from daily expenses as a dependent?<br /> > <strong>How much time</strong> (without compromising any current income stream), can you dedicate each week to building your Business?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>There was a recent article somewhere, whose title was along the lines of "Nobody cares about your photography" which pretty much sums up the state of photography in 2016. To succeed as a photographer you must have motivation, skill, and an angle. Everybody, in whatever field they pursue, needs an angle, but in photography that angle also needs to be profit-making. You can be the world's most renowned photographer of big toes, but unless big toes become the craze of the art world, you won't make a dime off it. Digital photography and cell phones have made everyone a photographer, and 99% of those people give their stuff away for free. Tough world.</p>

<p>There are two basic business approaches. One, the "starving artist" approach, lets you shoot whatever you want, and if it's good, REAL good, people may take an interest in it and buy your photos. The second path is pay for work, as in, concert photographers, wedding photographers, school picture guys. That path caters to what the client wants, pays the bills, and zaps your creative juices. But I did mention it pays the bills. In the best of BOTH career paths, you have a passion for one of the paid gig fields. Combining what you love with a steady income is the goal of every aspiring photographer. If you have passion and skill, even paid gigs can become creative outlets.</p>

<p>What path do you see yourself taking?</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses and advice. Just after I made my first post, I signed up for a free seminar that offers opportunities for women who want to start their own business. The seminar belongs to a long established agency in a city about 50 miles from me, and the seminar is just a starting point as to see whether one is ready to start a business and is willing to go through the training the center offers. <br /><br />I cannot go back to community college, though. That ship has sailed. I was so burned out after four years of it and felt like I was getting nowhere. I did take a business class while in community college and learned absolutely nothing from it. It took everything I had just to stay awake in that class. <br>

I did read the article "Nobody cares about your photography". And yes, it's a saturated market and it has changed considerably since digital technology. I am already going through the 'starving artist' phase. That's what I want to get out of. Wedding photography is out of the question. A few years ago I reluctantly tagged along with my cousin who is an amateur wedding photography that charges pro prices. It was a 9 hour day. At the end of the night my cousin asked me, "So, would you ever want to become a wedding photographer?" I know I threw some expletives her way in my usual, blunt manner. <br /><br />I have done concert photography before and absolutely loved it, but have no idea how to make a living doing it. These days, with everyone whipping out their iPhones and photographing everything at concerts, there seems to be no need for concert photographers anymore except for those great backstage scenes. I wouldn't mind doing Senior portraits, but again, I have no idea how to start. I have no studio. <br /><br />I live under the poverty level, and that's not figuratively speaking. And I don't know what path I see myself taking. I'm so used to just barely surviving, that the idea of 'thriving' seems like a very long reach, if not impossible. Still, I'm taking baby steps in the right direction by going to the "Opportunities for Women" seminar. It will get me back in the city and hopefully in a supportive environment that I really need right now. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I threw some expletives her way in my usual, blunt manner."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><br /></em>Permission to be candid:</p>

<p>Are you driven, hungry, thick skinned, willing to hustle and do what it takes to drum up business by knocking on potentially unfriendly doors? Because figuratively, and sometimes literally, that's what it will take to get established.</p>

<p>These are the intangibles that no seminar or college course is going to give (or teach) you - you either have the fire in the belly or you don't.</p>

<p>Maybe a good way to start is to write a business plan and identify markets you can serve - babies, pets, corporate/business portraits, even dreaded weddings - to get a clearer picture on the feasibility of operating a business in your geography and by clearly identifying competitors.</p>

<p>There are many online guides and templates on how to write a business plan if you're not familiar with the process - I'd recommend spending an intensive week or month doing this; it's something you'll need to do at some point anyway or you'll be simply stabbing in the wind and hoping for the best. </p>

<p>What you love (concert photography) is a luxury that not many get to indulge in as a living, rather it'll be more fruitful to look at the industry from the perspective of your training, capability, and the rest will simply be your desire to achieve in whatever way it takes. </p>

<p>Often broad strokes on the general photography market won't apply to your unique location, so keep that in mind as well. For example, you can advertise photography classes for beginners or students since you're a credentialed professional - one of many possibilities. </p>

<p>You're not alone and we see this quite often on photo.net, so do keep us posted. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi.<br />I'm new here. I am French so sorry for my English.<br />For making any money you have to concentrate on people who are doiing something unusual.<br />Last year during summer I focus to work at the French and Italian alpes shooting tourists on bikes and motorbikes. Make around 800 shots per day and sell around 25% at € 5,00 per digitial photo.<br /><br />There is new international Photographers platform at which you can sell these kind of action photos.<br />http://photo-xl.com/index.php<br />Participation is free, no obligations or contracts. At the end of each month you receive the revenue at your Paypal account. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></p>