My Film Came Out Blank

<p>I Have An [Olympus XA2] And A [Canon SureShot 2], I have shot multiple rolls in both and they keeping coming back blank. I'm also new to film photography. I have both manuals and for the most part I think I've loaded the film properly. PLEASE HELP</p>

<p>with older cameras with a rewind know , yuan watch and see if it rotates.<br>

many newer cameras do no have such a knob.<br>

are the madufacturer s edge markings visible?<br>

that means the film was not exposed but deloped.<br>

if it is all clear, then it is a development problem.<br>

try a est roll to see if the film is properly advanced.<br>

soe of the auto-laad fetrures could fail.<br>

the advice given above will guide you to the proper cause.</p>

<p>I'm not at all familiar with your Canon. - I suppose the XA2 is hand wound and uses batteries to operate it's shutter? - In that case an empty battery <em>might</em> produce blank film. - I do at least know other cameras where the shutter is either not fired at all or at an insanely short time (which basically means blank film) when the battery is dead but button pressed and film wound to next frame etc.<br>

Good luck and let us know what causes your issues.<br>

To test a fishy camera it is sometimes an option to point it towards your ceiling and fire it with the back open (and of course no film inside).</p>

<p>I always test cameras with the back open to see if the shutter does what it is supposed to do, before putting film in for the first time. For cameras with manual shutter speed, that isn't so hard. If only an automatic mode, I try to find light conditions that I know about. There should be a slow shutter speed for indoor scenes, and fast for daylight.</p>

<p>I suppose the battery could fail after test, and before using with film, but that is rare.</p>

<p>I now have a Polaroid 360, with the usual Polaroid electric eye shutter, which holds the shutter open until it sees enough light. Cover the eye, and the shutter stays open. Pretty easy to test for open and close. I have film, too, but haven't tried that yet.</p>

<p>So, most likely the shutter didn't open, but it could be processing error, like bad developer, or fixer before developer. </p>

-- glen

<p>Also, if the film was properly processed, one end would be black, because it was exposed to light loading the camera.<br>

First hunch is that you're not correctly engaging the film in the take-up spool. At least on the XA2, that's a manual process, bending the end correctly, and putting it in the slot. Once you see that the film is caught there, gently tighten the film with the rewind crank. When you close the back and start winding to the first exposure, see that the rewind crank is being rotated by the film pulling out of the magazine.<br>

The Canon Sure-Shot 2 has automatic film loading, but even there you have to put the tail of the leader in the right spot.</p>

<p>Walgreens around here doesn't return negatives anymore. They send them out somewhere far away, develop and scan, but not return the negatives. Well, the most common use now is for disposable cameras, where the image quality is probably about comparable to the scans.</p>

<p>Fortunately, I have labs nearby that will do C41 and return the negatives. </p>

-- glen