Monday in Nature September 26, 2016

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more details on guidelines <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">please read this </a>helpful information. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good Morning,<br>

It's been a busy week with no time to write, so we'll dive in. The opener is from the foray in Virginia. <em>Stemonitis splendans</em> has been overtaken by an unidentified fungus, possibly a hyphomycete. So many things happen on an inch of wood. What's happening in your area? Let's get the week off to a good start, after all, it's Monday in Nature.</p><div>00e9az-565544884.JPG.c4232adac1d6fa491e26910485490be1.JPG</div>

<p>The White Mountains happened to be pretty cold and windy this weekend. We took a group of first year students on a hike up the Crawford Path (supposedly America's oldest continuously maintained hiking path) and enjoyed an amazing hike through fog and sun.</p><div>00e9bQ-565546184.jpg.1fa1d6b5bbc7d339adf01b0a4a422b61.jpg</div>
Christoph Geiss

<p>Hi,<br>

my photo shows a dwarf carline thistle or a silver thistle. The legend goes this flower is forecasting the weather. If it is open in the evening, the next day will be sunny or at least dry, if it is closed in the evening, in the night or the next day it will be raining. Well, in the most cases the flower's forecast is correct.</p><div>00e9ci-565550984.jpg.bf6601e6aeec098f7d626e9b22891542.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks Laura. A preliminary look into the <em>Gomphus</em> would seem to suggest that this is <em>kaufamnii. My specimen fits that description better than any of the other Gomphus. The distribution maps I have found so far, indicate that this is mainly a west coast species although I did find reference to it in the Appalachians. I'm considerably north of that region? I'll keep looking. </em></p>

<p>Gordon,<br>

I have a description (1973) of this mushroom when it was still considered a Chanterell. It used to be considered uncommon to rare. That publication doesn't mention Appalachians, but modern descriptions do. Interestingly, <a href="http://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?l=r&nom=Turbinellus%20kauffmanii%20/%20Chanterelle%20de%20Kauffman&post=Turbinellus&gro=46&tag=Turbinellus%20kauffmanii">mycoquebec</a> has this species on the web site and you don't need to speak French to see in the notes that it's this first record of the species in Quebec. It's under the genus name of <em>Turbinellus</em>. Bookmark that website, if you're not familiar with it. It is one of my favorites and is up to date with names.</p>

<p>It might also be <em>G. floccosus (</em>aka<em> Turbinellus floccosus). </em>While most images of this species portray it as more orange, my 1973 publication ("How to Know The Non-Gilled Fleshy Fungi" by Smith, describes the hue as "cream color to darker", and the top as "coarsely floccose-scaly to merely floccose". It's range back then was described as "...conifer forests, especially hemlock, eastern North America, Great Lakes region".</p>

<p>So you can see how much things change, and there can be a lot of variation between books and images. It is also possible that you have a species that is different altogether, and undescribed. I'm quite serious about that. A new Chanterelle was recently described from the woods around Chicago. You can be comfortable with the genus as Gomphus/Turbinellus. Exact species may be a question at this time, but the names here represent the range that you mushroom is in.</p>

<p>I had a similar fungus on the fungus here to the original, except in that case it was whole mushrooms covered with the light blue growth, however I already posted it to the Nikon forum so won't bother again.</p>

<p>In the mean time, a nice big juicy garden spider has planted herself conveniently by the pond, and I've been going out and trying various odd lenses on the D3200. This time it was the 35/2.8 PC, which focuses decently close, and is nice and sharp, though the 700 pixel JPG does not do it full justice. </p><div>00e9dc-565555584.jpg.092d856e3f22b59b7e682ef69ecc8ee3.jpg</div>

<p>Laura, <br /> I was looking for this under <em>Turbinellus</em> as that seemed to be the recent genus name. I'll check the mycoquebec site. While the Appalachians do go a long way east I'm not sure if they go as far north as my location, mid way up the Georgian Bay but that does put me squarely within the Great Lakes region.<br>

This mushroom is in the middle of a walking path in my woods so I will look for others and see if it comes up in the same spot next year. In the same area of mixed woods, beech, maple, oak, spruce and hemlock, there are 3 species of chanterelles and they come up every year in the same spots.<br /> Thanks again for all of your help.</p>