80D vs. 7D/5DII low ISO dynamic range

mark_pierlot

<p>I have a dual format kit (5DII/7D) and am generally happy with it. The only real deficiency it has for me is its relative lack of low ISO DR. Having two young children, I often find myself shooting in the midday sun, when DR demands are high.</p>

<p>I've read online that the new 80D has pretty impressive low ISO DR, and that may be a reason for me to "upgrade" my 7D. But I haven't seen any hard data or read any user reports. So I'm wondering whether anyone in the photo.net community has had an opportunity to compare the 80D's low ISO DR performance with that of other EOS APS-C bodies.</p>

While not the necessarily the ultimate reference, DXOmark has the DR of the 7D, 5DII and 80D at 11.7, 11.9,

and 13.2. The wider DR of the new 80D was also reported by DPreview. So I would tend to believe that

Canon's new sensor tech has materially improved DR. I would also agree that for shooting kids in harsh

midday sun, that fill flash would provide an enormous benefit, far more than a camera with 2 stops greater DR.

<p>Thanks for the advice, guys! I didn't think of using fill flash. Unfortunately, it's not really an option for me most of the time when I'm around and about with the kids. It's bad enough lugging around my gripped 7D or 5DII (with the 70-200 or 100-400) without adding the extra weight and bulk of my 580EXII.</p>

<p>When I'm doing more "formal" outdoor portraiture of my kids, I shoot in open shade, so have no trouble obtaining even exposure. But it's when I'm chasing them around on the playground, trail or beach that I have trouble with blown highlights and the like. I think having some extra DR capability built into the camera would be a good thing. Of course, I could just return to shooting Ektar 100 film, which I have been doing to some extent.</p>

<p>Perhaps I'll wait and see what Canon offers in the next couple of years with regard to improved DR. The 80D's sensor is likely just a harbinger of things to come.</p>

<p>"<em>I have trouble with blown highlights and the like.</em> "<br>

<br>

right, however blown 'highlights" are probably not a result of the camera or the sensor. I have no problem with shooting people, sports, or say, butterflies in midday sun with an older camera.<br>

But go ahead and get a camera with more "DR" and see how you like it<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>The trouble is shooting in full sun. I personally don't think the improvement in DR will help. If you boost the shadows too much the picture will look bad whatever the DR: particularly with portraits. It is not that you can't boost the shadows already to improve the shot: but it just will not look natural if done too much, irrespective of how good the shadow detail is. Just make sure to shoot in the shade, or against the sun with powerful flash, or shoot when overcast.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>There are a number of things any decent camera can do to help here, and surely shooting RAW will give you far better dynamic range. I have just ordered the 80D however, also because of the DR and the very decent noise values (even though lagging behind Sony, it seems).<br /> With the massive speed of a 7D you can however see if you can shoot with exposure bracketing, unless the objects are moving too fast.<br /> Also the Canon offers you a highlight priority mode in case you want to shoot JPG after all (not advised), which could help to increase your DR by approx. 1 stop.<br /> The fill flash remains your best option, but I have also seen people carrying foldable reflectors...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>lown 'highlights" are probably not a result of the camera or the sensor. I have no problem with shooting people, sports, or say, butterflies in midday sun with an older camera. But go ahead and get a camera with more "DR" and see how you like it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Brett, you're implying that it's my technique that's to blame, but I've already stated that I don't experience the same issue when I'm shooting film (with the same lenses on an EOS-1V). I have hundreds of photos of my kids (and reams of other stuff, even butterflies), shot in the midday sun with Ektar 100, that have no blown highlights and plenty of shadow detail. So <em>my </em>inference would be that the sensor <em>is</em> to blame, and not my technique.<br>

<br>

So are you saying that the dynamic range of a digital sensor doesn't matter? If so, that's a curious claim, indeed. I guess sensor development with respect to DR should just end with the 60D. We've already reached the pinnacle, guys!<br /><br>

<br>

(Yes, in case you're wondering, Brett, I was offended by your post.)</p>