RB67 overseas scenic - the occasional outing.

RaymondC

<p>I have a family trip coming up, staying in hotels, taking public transport, it's busy Asia so no rental cars. Obviously won't be taking it out every day all day. I plan to set aside a few days for it (like observation decks outside, waterfronts etc so not in the way of people), maybe I would go back to my room pick it up before I head out for a sunset / twilight session - after all it's going to be Velvia 50. </p>

<p>1. I hear that the RB67 is mainly a studio camera. With the standard lens it's about the weight of a pro 35mm SLR with a 70-200mm F2.8 attached right? The RB67 with two lenses fits inside a standard backpack. I would be using a tripod all the time with mirror lockup. </p>

<p>2. I also hear about the debate between the RB67 to the Hasselblad. The Hasselblad being a lot more physically smaller and lighter. I am more interested when they say the Hasselblad is sharper. If both are on a tripod, taking the time to focus the lens with the loupe viewfinder, what's the difference? The Hasselblad is quite a bit more expensive than the RB, although the price has come down heaps since they were new. </p>

<p>Cheers .... </p>

<p>The RB67 is a beast. I wouldn't take it on a trip unless you're going on a special photography field trip. It's not fun lugging it along. It's big, heavy and unwieldy.</p>

<p>The Hasselblad is much more manageable, but it's a 6x6 square, not a 6x7. So, it's not a question of whether one is sharper than another, it's a question of what size negatives/slides you want and whether you want a square format. If you crop a 6x6 neg, you'll get a 6x4.5 image, in which case, you may as well get a 645 camera.</p>

<p>I chose the Mamiya RB67 over the Hasselblad as my travel camera.</p>

<p>The RB plus a 50mm and a 127mm lens and a couple of film backs go in a shoulder bag and the tripod is hand carried. There is more weight in the RB system but I can't ever imagine me saying "Why do you say my pictures are lousy? Be fair! I'll have you know I used a <em>light</em> camera."</p>

<p>I couldn't find any lens sharpness difference between the Mamiya and the Hasselblad for tripod mounted cameras at moderate apertures typical of travel photography but the Mamiya delivered sharper pictures. Why? By the time I made the usual rectangular photographs, 8x10s for example, the Mamiya was working at full frame 6x7 but the Hasselblad was effectively a 6x4.5 camera and a heavy and expensive one at that. The difference in effective negative size, Mamiya over Hasselblad, shows in side by side comparisons of final pictures. Seen in isolation the Mamiya and Hasselblad pictures both look stunningly superior to 35mm.</p>

<p>And I do like the Mamiya's revolving back and close focussing with all lenses without having to fit extension tubes.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. At my age (73) I do not believe wondering about ala tourista with an RB-67 system would be enjoyable, but I do use mine frequently on short hops/hikes from the car or touring scooter. Mine is keep inside an Igloo cooler and can be easily carried in one hand while the HuskyV tripod is in the other. This set up with the Igloo has survived one major dump on the scooter (DUI idiot) and in the last several years 3 major excursions thru TSA to different USA cities (film is removed and a 2" thick foam blanket "stuffed" into top area). Put several duck tapes around to keep lid shut & hand it to the airlines (current $50 round trip "fee", but it is insured to $1000).<br>

This "kit" has the RB67, a 90 or 127mm lens, extra film back, my Weston V meter, 3 filters, cable release, up to 10 rolls of film and assorted goodies. Bill</p><div>00e6XQ-564993984.JPG.74a6ca2588dd479bae1f25f4b93d3a6a.JPG</div>

<p>The RB is so cheap compared to the Hassie. Yes, I will take my dSLR, in the future the Fuji XT1 used would be a good option I think. A number of my camera buddies have gone mirrorless, a good few of them with the Olie OMD. I am looking at using the RB on selected days only. Maybe head to my room and take out for a few hours only. Strategic points like observation decks - like Hong Kong peak and waterfront.</p>

<p>For a 1 lens Hassie kit I could get a RB67 with the standard lens and 3 additional lenses or 2 lenses and 2 additional film backs. If I was going to tout a SLR style medium format the H500 does makes sense ... ie 2 lens kit to keep the weight down. But hey ... the RB with 2 lenses probably weigh similar to a dSLR with 2x 2.8 lenses and a flash gun.</p>

<p>Perhaps down the road I may get the Hassie, at least they don't cost like a high end smartphone and last a few years until the battery needs replacing and then one market price has depreciated so much you may think twice about replacing the battery. </p>

<p>A lot of what you choose depends on what you are used to carrying. Most people will balk at carrying a pack with an array of MF bodies and lenses if they are used to lighter gear. I carry 2 Pentax 67 bodies, both zooms and a 45mm so an RB would not be a stretch for me. Your mileage may vary. </p>

<p>the RB is a 6x8 with the 6x8 back, 8x8 gives 64cm², 6x6 gives 36cm², so its not surprising that the RB is a bit larger,<br>

and the RB isnt a studio camera by itself but was mostly used by pros and pros mostly shoot in studio.<br>

I used mine allways outside and its very good for landscapes or street.<br>

and maybe its wise to use it with a monopod</p>

<p >"I am looking at using the RB on selected days only. Maybe head to my room and take out for a few hours only."<br /><br />Keep in mind that it's still a big thing to lug along. And if you're also taking your DSLR, you're carrying two sets of gear rather than one. <br /><br />Personally, I take whatever gear I need when I'm going out to shoot a job, including when traveling. But for family vacations these days I take a Canon Powershot G15, and sometimes even just my iPhone.<br /><br />It doesn't sound like you have the RB yet, so remember one of the fundamental rules of photograhy -- never go on a trip with a camera you're not familiar with. <br /></p>

<p>Looks like I most probably will leave my RB67 at home now. The family trip has been cut shorter by 1 or 2 days and brought forward due to China's National Day in October. In a smaller town maybe ok if everything is closer by. The only place I really planned to use it was Victoria Peak in HKG. Everywhere else not really realistic. I'll just carry a dSLR, a fSLR (slides) and maybe a manual Nikon with a 50mm for streets (b/w). For travel yes the 6x6 looks a lot better. </p>