What are you doing with your older cameras?

<p>I finally sold off my next-to-last film outfit (F3HP with 4 Nikkor primes) a couple of weeks ago, because, much as I loved the camera, I just wasn't using it. The cash was nice, but the sense of relief at not having this splendid device sitting there gathering dust was almost as good. I have a Nikonos with a couple of lenses that I might keep for the beach, but, to be honest, I could just as easily sell it and buy an inexpensive waterproof digital.</p>

<p>When the time comes for me to go digital (i.e. my Coolscan dies), I will keep my hardware in a dust-free environment, whatever the money (small anyway) I will be able to get from it. So many souvenirs... It would be like throwing away my retired pair of 100% leather mountain shoes...</p>

<p><em><strong></strong></em><br>

<strong><em>No discussion here on the advantages of digital and the final result. But I wonder if the digital paraphernalia has the same appeal as have the traditional stuff. With a single digital point and shoot I make the works for internet, but the most of my photos (in reality not so much) are made with film cameras. Despite I am not a collector – just an amateur photographer with some experience, I own around 30 old film cameras – from 35mm up to 4x5 (Contax IIa, Rollei SLX, Koni Omega 200, Linhof 6x9, etc), all of them in nice conditions. It’s a pleasure to look at these extremely well made pieces, even if I don’t use them all the time. I have a little darkroom at home with a good 4x5 enlarger (Omega D4) and make the B/W by myself. Appart of the efficience of digital cameras and lenses, they seem not to have an attractive look.</em></strong></p>

<p>I have gone through my huge collection of film cameras and given away a bunch, but I have not the heart quite yet to dispose of them all. I haven't shot much film over the past couple of years, but still have a bunch in the freezer. My wife still has her F100's too, and a lot of Velvia 50 in the freezer. I figure that since we don't need the disappointingly small money most of my well used stuff would bring, I might as well keep it, because one of these days I might get the urge again. And anyway, I just can't bear to part with the old Nikons. And the Minoltas. And the Olympus XE's. And of course the Leica IIIb. Oh, and the Miranda....Sorry, it's hopeless.</p>

<p>@Arlindo - you mention the appeal of it. With the Hasselblad Q1D and the Fujifilm GFX50S. It is nice but it doesn't have a practical appeal for me as film cameras. Digital stuff just go out of date although they are still the very same camera I once bought. Whereas the film cameras have depreciated to a point near the floor. There will be likely no replacements and one could have and use that knowing that it is a good investment. Pick up a $200US RB67 kit, or a $1k Hasselblad 500 kit.</p>

<p>Although I have thought about this in the distant future when I am not around what is the point of this. Others are unlikely want this stuff. Instead of a hard drive film takes so much more room to store the film, time to scan or send it out, the darkroom for those inclined. </p>

<p>I've never had as many cameras as most of you- I have no particular affection or interest in them. So my pair of Bronicas and Mamiya 7 were eBayed a couple of years after I started with Dslrs. I sold them without guilt and I don't miss them any more than I'd miss a washing machine we'd replaced. I now have three Canon 5D bodies and one set of lenses; a Mk 3 which is the camera I use; Mk 2 which is the camera I carry in case the newer one breaks, but hasn't been used since I replaced it; and a 5D original that I haven't used since 2010 and do feel guilty that I haven't sold it yet, though it was my travelling back-up till early 2015. </p>

<p>Well...i use them.<br>

All my cameras are at least 30 years old.<br>

What percentage of your digital cameras, that you use on a regular basis, are even 10 years old.?<br>

It seems a tired discussion at this point. My cameras use film, my amplifiers use tubes, and my phone and television use digital technology.<br>

I develop my own film and wet print in a darkroom like your are supposed to do.</p>

<p> </p>