Calling all math wizards about a screen resolution problem.

<p>First of all, Here is the image that I will be using as the test image for this exercise. <br>

<a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53017924/Print%20Size%20Image%20Test.jpg">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53017924/Print%20Size%20Image%20Test.jpg</a><br>

(I filled the image with black because it is for a book that will not be published for about a month yet.)<br>

Here is a document file that contains all of my words below, along with screen grabs that help to explain things better.<br>

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53017924/View%20Print%20Size.docx<br>

<br /> <br /> I wanted to make “view/print size” actually work in Photoshop. I found the following article on the subject.<br>

<a href="http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/print-size/">http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/print-size/</a><br>

To make a long story short, the formula is to find what your screen resolution is set to, (hopefully it is set to your native resolution). For me, that’s 1920 x 1200 pixels. Next measure the distance in inches across your monitor. For me that’s 20 inches.<br>

Divide the width in pixels by the inches across your screen. 1920 divided by 20 equals 96. So, the real PPI of my screen in 96.<br>

Now go into Photoshop’s Edit/Preferences/Units and Rulers and put 96 into the screen resolution box.</p>

<p>At this point, when using View/Print size, the image on screen should measure the exact same as the print size.<br>

OK, so in MY case. I did all of the above, (actually I’ve done all of the above three times at this point), and here are my results. I’m looking at an image that I had edited for a client. The client’s wishes were for the image to be 12.25 inches wide and 9.25 inches high and at a resolution of 325. That is all but exactly what Photoshop is showing the image size to be.</p>

<p> and yet, when I try out View/Print size, the image on my screen measures 12 inches wide and 9.5 inches high. So not only is the measurement off, but the aspect ratio isn’t even correct !<br>

Just in case some of you have noticed that when I put 96 into the screen resolution, I left the PRINT resolution at 300, well, I experimented with putting 325 in there and that made zero difference in how the image measured on my screen.<br /> <br /> Can anyone figure out why this has not worked correctly to make Image/Screen Size render an image on my screen that measures the print size correctly? Not only THAT but the aspect ratio isn’t even correct!</p>

<p>Ray,<br>

Thanks. At least I know the image is the right size. Now, does anyone know what I've done wrong that makes the image on MY screen measure 12 inches wide and 9.5 inches high. Not only is this off from what it should be but the aspect ratio isn't even correct.<br>

Thanks !<br>

Randy</p>

<p>Don't know if this helps anybody but I just experimented making different size blank documents, hitting View-Print Size and then measuring.<br>

If I make square images, the aspect ratio is correct but the image consistently measures .25 inches to long in both dimensions.<br /><br />If I make a blank document the same size as the original image that I started experimenting with, which is 12.25 inches wide and 9.25 inches high, it is still measuring .5 inches too wide and .25 inches too short.</p>

<p>I have an NEC PA241W display. The horizontal resolution is 1,920 pixels (like yours), but my screen measures about 20.5 inches wide. 1,920 / 20.5 = ~93.6585 pixels per inch, so in Photoshop CC2015 my screen resolution is set to 94.</p>

<p>When I view your image in Photoshop at "Print Resolution," it measures about 12 3/16 inches wide by 9 3/16 high on the screen—very close to what you say it's supposed to be.</p>

<p>By the way, while this is an interesting problem, does it really matter for your client, who intends to print the image in a book (on paper I presume)? If the pixel dimensions are right, and it seems yours are, why would the client care what size (or shape) the image appears on your screen?</p>

<p>Hi Kent,<br>

Thanks very much for your input. I will re-measure and see what I come up with.<br>

Yes, you're right, this has nothing to do with the client whatsoever. They are not aware of my attempts to get my View/Print Size to give me the right measurements on my screen. This is strictly about me and my very slight case of OCD trying to make things RIGHT on my end. This hasn't mattered for YEARS. Now that I know about the possibility of making it correct, well, I'm going to do it or die trying.<br /><br />OK, before ending this message, I just remeasured and YOUR RIGHT ! Not sure how I measured wrong, (other than the fact that I NEVER let anything touch my screen so it makes it kind of hard to measure while basically holding the ruler in the air right NEXT to the screen). <br /><br />I've put in the new numbers in for the screen resolution and now everything is measuring PERFECTLY. You have made my week ! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!<br /><br /><br /></p>