The Psychology of Photography: What Drives Us to Shoot?

<p>Lannie, indeed the urge to photograph, in my book, falls within the need for self-actualization. Interestingly, I wonder whether it's an act of narcissism to describe oneself as self-actualized. In my own case, I'm much more comfortable viewing myself as striving for that. Self-actualization, like growth, isn't the sort of goal that comes with a sense of finality. Is it plausible to view it as both goal and process? I'm not sure. </p>

<p>It would take a more serious student of Maslow's work to argue whether his hierarchy is correctly ordered. Personally I think it is confining to look at the hierarchy strictly in linear terms. It just popped into my head that self-actualization may encompass the rest.</p>

<p>Julie: From R.D. Laing's The Politics of Experience - "<strong>If I could turn you on, if I could drive you out of your wretched mind, if I could tell you I would let you know</strong>." Possibly were you alluding to this when you stated, "The point of much of art is to change your mind. Change your mind."</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Michael, that's good. Thanks. Putting a bitter edge to it, this from Samuel Beckett:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>t is useless not to seek, not to want, for when you cease to seek you start to find, and when you cease to want, then life begins to ram her fish and chips down our gullet until you puke, and then the puke down your gullet until you puke the puke, and then the puked puke until you begin to like it. — <em>Samuel Beckett</em>, Watt</p>

</blockquote>

<p>**********************<br /> Thinking about the 'art' tangent, it reminds me of how much of an art it is <em>not</em> to pursue (indulge!) one's personal needs, i.e. for professionals like Ian. ("food, clothes, rent") to suss out what the client wants/needs and <em>not</em> to unknowingly infuse it with his own slant. He has to know where the off-topic (personal) art seeps in and stop the leak.</p>

<p>Yet that same client expects a certain flair be added to <em>his</em> desires. You have my sympathies and admiration.</p>

<p>For me it is a lifelong habit. I started when I was 6 years old with a box camera. That was 58 years ago, and somehow life feels strange if I am not shooting photos. Shooting gives me the impetus to travel, and to interact with people when I am making their photo. What could be better than that?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thinking about the 'art' tangent, it reminds me of how much of an art it is <em>not</em> to pursue (indulge!) one's personal needs, i.e. for professionals like Ian. ("food, clothes, rent") to suss out what the client wants/needs and <em>not</em>to unknowingly infuse it with his own slant. He has to know where the off-topic (personal) art seeps in and stop the leak.<br /> Yet that same client expects a certain flair be added to <em>his</em> desires. You have my sympathies and admiration.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Julie, sometimes I am glad that I am not a professional photographer. I don't think that I could handle customer relations.</p>

<p>I have had enough frustrations with the students buzzing around my head the last two days. It can be maddening.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I bought a camera and realized it was a waste of money unless I used it. I'm driven by not wanting to contribute to landfill with yet another gadget that wasn't used.</p>

</blockquote>

Were you on the writing team for Yes, Minister, by any chance? :-D

And it's true that bad art is still art. Just like a bad car is no less a car than a Ferrari 250 California.