I need to find C-41 Color Developer

<p>I been looking thro. B&H adroma, freestyle and unique photo recently to find a C41 dev only.</p>

<p>I don't want to buy 1 liter Unicolor C-41 Powder or whatever.<br /> I have fix, bleach, stop baths, stab but I do now have the DEV.</p>

<p>I was looking at various things online like this one<br /> https://www.uniquephoto.com/product/c-41-dev-repl-lorr-tm-5l-ek-kodak-xhaz-hazsp1-832-0608-8231672/_/searchString/Kodak%20%20flexicolor<br /> -<br>

https://www.uniquephoto.com/product/kodak-c-41-entwickler-flxclr-devr-rplr-3667805/_/searchString/c-41%20developer</p>

<p>But I'm not really sure if this is a developer,<br /> I found some fuji hunt stuff, developer replenisher and all that stuff. websites are really outdates about film chemicals and usually there is no information what so ever...</p>

<p>This is basically what I need,<br /> I want to buy a C-41 developer (only) in like many liters. 5-10 I do not care. <br /> If you can provide me a link for C-41 developer, I be so happy. I'm young and missed that film era so I do not have much experience. <br /> When the product says replenisher on it, i get really confused because I do not really know what does "reple" do... There are things like bleach reple. I dont know if that works like a regular bleach or its something similar to a bleach. Same for fixer and anything else. When I see the word replenisher, i don't know what it does.<br /> I have a Jobo CPE 2 system with drums and tanks<br /><br /><br /> your help will be highly appreciated, help this young folk <br /> thanks!</p>

<p>edit:<br /> what is this thing?<br />https://www.uniquephoto.com/product/kodak-c-41-dev-starter-lorr-1-2l-6601074/_/searchString/c-41%20developer</p>

• Like 1

<p>For production labs, and minilabs, you start with starter, and add some amount of replenisher for each roll processed. That keeps the chemical activity at the right level.</p>

<p>For small batch processing, you want one just called "developer". </p>

<p>It might be that you can make an appropriate developer from starter and/or replenisher.</p>

-- glen

[Kadir] "When I see the word replenisher, i don't know what it does."

Hi, I'm not looking at your links because of security issues with my browser, but I can explain a little about replenisher.

The major use of the C-41 process has always been with larger photofinishers who replenish their chemicals. What this means is that they

start out with a "working tank" of each chemical solution that they use to process the film. As film is processed, each of the "working tank" solutions

becomes somehow "used up." In order to counteract this, it is possible to add a specific amount of a replenisher solution which restores

the working tank back to its original condition. The general way this happens is that the replenisher 1) dilutes out the byproducts, and 2) it

replaces the used-up chemical components. In essence, the replenisher is something like an extra-strength version of the working tank

solution.

Now, when a large photofinisher buys chemicals, what they almost always need are replenishers; one can replenish a working tank

indefinitely. Consequently, there is little "professional" market for the pure "working tank" solutions. So instead of stocking kits for "working

tank" solutions, the manufacturers have come up with a way for the user to convert a replenisher solution into a working tank solution.

In the case of the developer, the photofinisher would buy a "developer starter solution," then follow the instructions to convert a specific

sort of replenisher into a working tank solution. The method is to start out with a certain amount of replenisher, add a certain amount of

starter solution, then add a certain amount of water. The end result is a working tank solution, same as if the manufacturer had sold such a

mix to begin with.

If a manufacturer DOES sell a special kit for making a developer "working tank solution," it is probably described as just "developer" (as opposed to "developer replenisher"). And this is what you would use to develop your film. But if such a thing is not available, the other way to get there is to buy both a "developer replenisher" plus the "developer starter solution" made for it, then follow the instructions.

This is why it's so difficult for a hobbyist to buy things - in the industry everyone already understands how this works, so it doesn't get explained. And I guess there's not enough profit in making small direct-use kits.

<p>Below is a link to developer/developer starter, at B&H. Both from my reading of the description and my general undertstanding, "developer" and "developer starter" are the same thing. I think "starter developer" would probably be clearer. Once you've got the product below, you should be able to either dump it when it's used up and buy more, or replenish is as you go. That's the way it works in B&W, where there is just "developer," no "developer starter."<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/792397-REG/Fujifilm_600005425_NEG_N1_S_NEGACOLOR_Developer.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/792397-REG/Fujifilm_600005425_NEG_N1_S_NEGACOLOR_Developer.html</a></p>

[Craig] "Both from my reading of the description and my general undertstanding, "developer" and "developer starter" are the same thing. "

Craig, since you are being directly contrary to what I just explained, I'm going to call you on this; where does your "general understanding" with

respect to "developer starter" come from? Do you have any direct experience using a chemical labeled "starter?"

Certainly the description in your link is not very clear as to what "starter" is, but this is why I made the effort to explain. Anyone who

attempts to develop film with a commercial chemical labeled as "developer starter" will have a rude awakening - no development will

occur.

Thanks Craig, but likewise I didn't say where my experience comes from - I spent a number of years managing the Quality Control Dept. at a

large processing lab, part of a studio chain. We went through literally thousands of gallons of replenishment every day, and had an onsite

chem lab to support our operations.

I apologize for being a little "snippy" with you. When I started on photo.net I took the view that explanations and well-reasoned arguments

should carry all the weight of forum discussions, but a few years ago I gave up on this as a failed experiment. So now I'll pull out the

"experience card" once in a while. (I have a suspicion that some people here think I'm an "internet photographer" because I like to give so

many references. But in truth, I do it to make sure I don't hand out confidential information; I like to be sure it has already been published

somewhere.)

By the way, I found some usage instructions on the Fuji starter you referenced. See

http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/photofinishing/photographic_chemicals/chemicals/minilab-film/index.html and look at any of the "N1-R"

developer replenisher pdf files. They describe how to make a "working tank" solution using water, replenisher, and starter (by the same part

number as your link). So if anyone has any doubt about it, this should clarify things.

Also, fwiw, B&W chemicals for machine use have typically worked the same way - using replenishers and starter solutions. A couple examples that I remember would have been Versamat and Duraflo developer replenishers, but this sort of thing is not commonly known. And I'd guess not available any more, but I don't know.

Ps, thanks also, Rob.

<p>Some of Flexicolor is described in:<br>

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/service/Zmanuals/z131_03.pdf</p>

<p>http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/service/Zmanuals/z131_01.pdf</p>

<p>https://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/j36/j36.pdf</p>

<p>The developer comes in parts A, B, and C. It looks like the starter is mostly or all one of the parts. Bleach comes in two parts, and the starter sounds like one of them.</p>

<p>Mostly that is from the colors they describe for them. </p>

<p> </p>

-- glen

<p>I never used a Versamat or other automated processor but I appreciate the insight on how they worked. At newspapers where I worked we used ordinary D-76 or HC-110 developer, and would replenish with D-76R or HC-110 Developer Replenisher.<br /><br />Bill, no need to apologize. I overstepped my expertise.</p>

<p>If you are buying replenisher, whether developer or bleach, the starter is not included in any of the parts and must by purchased separately if you wish to make working solutions. If you are buying straight developer or bleach, NOT replenisher, you needn't worry about starter.</p>

<p>you guys are the best!<br>

thank you very much for all that info, all of you!<br>

<br /><br />As you know young people are starting to get interested on film more and more but our only problem is there is no information about it online.<br>

<br />I believe posts like this helps many people around the world, so thank you very much for creating a small database like this</p>

<p>highly apprenticed! </p>

<p>Kadir, since you have a Jobo system, rather then get so complicated, I'd go to Freestyle (freestylephoto.biz) and have a look around. They sell gallon-size developer and replenisher in larger quantities. Certainly large enough for your Jobo processor.</p>

<p>If you're unsure how to proceed, I'm sure there is documentation on your Jobo out there on the web and the chemicals come with documentation as well. Start off with smaller quantities until you're getting the results you want and then increase the amount to the level you feel you need.</p>