Buying used from B&H

derek_thornton1

<p>Anyone ever bought a used lens from B&H? If so, was the lens acceptable? I have never bought used camera equipment and feel a little apprehensive. Also, it is Tamron instead of Nikon and I am not sure about the quality of the item. Stinks being on a budget!</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Derek</p>

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

<p>I've bought tons of equipment used from B&H, the reason, I've found them to be very honest and it is easy to return used items if they are not as described, or even if you just change your mind.</p>

<p>I usually try to stick to items that are rated 9, 9+ or OB, but have had good luck even with 8+ items at times.</p>

<p>Not used, but I have purchased refurbished Nikon lenses from B&H and Adorama. Unfortunately, those lenses were not properly refurbished/repaired and I needed to return both. They even pay for return shipping. (BTW, the repair problem has nothing to do with either B&H or Adorama. It is Nikon USA's responsibility for the condition of refurb products.)</p>

<p>I am quite sure that B&H would treat your right.</p>

<p>Used KEH, B&H, Adorama for used equipment lots of times - never had a bad experience. Have bought & sold used camera gear on Ebay for over 10 years (>500 transactions) with only 2 difficulties, buth satisfactorily resolved. I've gotten lots of Leica, Nikon & Canon gear there in great condition at very favorable prices. Like anything else in life, you have to know what you want, what it is worth, and do your due diligence on the seller.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've bought tons of equipment used from B&H, the reason, I've found them to be very honest and it is easy to return used items if they are not as described, or even if you just change your mind.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you. We expect customers shopping for used equipment to have the same experience and the same satisfaction as customers shopping for new equipment.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>One thing to keep in mind about eBay: some very reputable dealers use it as a virtual storefront. For example I've purchased used gear from KEH through their eBay store. I trust e.g. KEH's care and attention to their merchandise, but I definitely don't trust their ability to build a secure ecommerce platform on what is probably a pretty small revenue base. I'd much rather deal with the KEH's of the world through a company whose IT budget rivals the GDP of a small nation.</p>

<p>Having said that, the question is about B&H and I can say I wouldn't hesitate to buy <em>anything</em> from B&H.</p>

<p>I bought a used Nikon D300 from B&H this past Summer. It was accurately described and works fine. They did initally send me a 3rd party battery with it (I was expecting Nikon) and the battery charger they sent came without the cord to plug it in. I mentioned this to them and both items were delivered free of charge... well, the battery had a charge. :) :) :)</p><div>00daH3-559232184.jpg.35dbf4b62b7ee4db6242e9e91545a819.jpg</div>

<p>I've had consistently good experiences buying used through B&H, Adorama and Keh. Being a frequent Bay buyer and seller myself, I don't expect that it's possible to catch any possible thing that would go wrong with a piece of used gear, so for me it's the seller's response when something is off that makes all the difference.</p>

<p>On Bay that can be a mixed bag, and more than once I've had to use the Bay complaints system (or threaten to do so) to get a refund. What's key to keep in mind with eBay is that the seller doesn't have a duty to deliver a perfect item. The seller's duty is to deliver an item that is not worse than described in the listing. The buyer's duty is to understand the listing and ask questions if there's anything they don't understand, so I've always fended off complaints like "this lens doesn't fit my camera" (because it's a Minolta lens and your camera is a Nikon) or "AF doesn't work" (because it's not an AF camera) etc. But I have been hosed occasionally, like by a guy who didn't receive what he expected, having told me he didn't read the listing, and got a successful credit card company refund, and one crazy who was convinced he saw blemishes on a lens after examining it under what I calculated out to be at least 77x magnification (a 1:1 macro shot from a V1 at 100% on screen).</p>

<p>(BTW, since when does the forum not let me use the name of that auction site...)</p>

<p>I'll echo what the others have said about buying used from B&H - not a problem - but I'll also add that I've used Tamron lenses for Pentax and, more recently, for Nikon and have been totally satisfied with the quality and dependability as well as their customer service. Not to mention the prices relative to Nikon's.</p>

<p>Over the years I've probably bought over $20K worth of camera gear. I'd say 90% of it was used. Of my current camera bag: Nikon D800E, 20mm f1.8G, 24mm PC-E, 85mm f1.8g, 70-200mm f2.8 VR, 80-400mm AFS, Sigmas 35 & 50mm f1.4 ART--all of this was bought used, mostly from ebay but also from buy & sell boards. I've never had a problem. I don't see the point in buying new gear unless you HAVE to have it now for a specific job or important trip and used isn't available. I've saved thousands of dollars and have better stuff than i otherwise would have.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>You are hitting B&H (and other retailers) at their busiest time. I just ordered something from them this morning, and it is going to take an extra day to arrive, apparently because B&H are not able to ship the same day (even though I ordered at 6am Pacific Time, 9am Eastern before they opened).</p>

<p>Third-party lens compatibility can always be an issue. If that lens doesn't work, I am sure B&H will take it back. Hopefully Henry can help you on this.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>no way I am buying Ebay</p>

</blockquote>

<p>FYI, many reputable sellers are on eBay, e.g., Adorama, Cameta, Hunt's, Ritz... In my experience, shopping on eBay is very safe, mainly due to their clever feedback system. No sane seller would try to cheat a customer in exchange for a few bucks and get a bad feedback. So, the key is to look for sellers with great feedback.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if you want to buy from an inexperienced seller (e.g., one with little or no feedback - not recommended for inexperienced buyers), it is safe as well because eBay will back you up and will reimburse if you got cheated. This happened to me buying from a seller in Turkey. Never received the lens and eBay reimbursed 100%.</p>

<p>To reduce hassle, you do need to read the seller descriptions carefully and look at the images of the item.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The seller's duty is to deliver an item that is not worse than described in the listing. The buyer's duty is to understand the listing and ask questions if there's anything they don't understand...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Funny you mentioned this. Two weeks ago I sold a KirkPhoto macro rail that I bought for over $200 several years ago. It was practically new. So it was sold on eBay for $89. Then I was surprised that the buyer claimed it was "dysfunctional" and "defective", and that I drilled a hole on the clamp. That was a pain. So I asked him to send it back, even provided return postage. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the macro rail and I would not know how to drill a hole into the metal even if I wanted to. Anyhow, the second highest bidder ($88) got it and he could not be happier.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If that lens doesn't work, I am sure B&H will take it back. Hopefully Henry can help you on this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Certainly. Usually the smartest move is to email cs@bhphoto.com but i can be reached at henryp@bhphoto.com too.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Hey Shun,<br>

Right after I made the comment B&H sent me an email to return the lens. So I immediately erased the post here. I thought I should go over the lens one more time before sending it back. I put it back on my D300 and it would not focus at all, nothing worked. So I again tried without the Kenko tube and it worked flawlessly. In fact, it focused as fast as my Nikon lenses! Then I tried each tube to see which one may be bad. All the tubes worked fine! After screwing with it for a whole day I could not get it to mess up again, even though it would not even focus to begin with. The conclusion I have come to is that it was never the lens but the Kenko tubes that caused the problem. So I am keeping the lens and so far I am happy with it. Sorry it took me so long to respond.<br>

Derek</p>

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com