When is a refund justified? When is a bad review justified?

andrew_loa

<p>Hello All,<br /><br />I am new to this site and want to get your professional opinions. My wife and I recently got married this past Friday, it was an amazing day except for 1 thing. We booked a wedding photographer that was very sub par (Based upon my wife's opinion, who has shot 20-30 weddings etc). The by far worst part about this whole thing, is that I (the groom) can't fix it. To say that my wife loves pictures is an understatement, it's one of her true passions in life. And now, on what is supposed to be one of the most special days of her lives, she has no good pictures in her dress at the ceremony. <br /><br />My wife and I are nice people and we don't want this to really ruin her life or dreams as a photographer -- BUT we also don't want others to go through the same thing. She had decent pictures in her portfolio, which is why we chose her. However, since we chose to do a ceremony at a court house instead of a big banquet hall she phoned the whole thing in. Just didn't care at all.... <br /><br />Does the below justify a full refund? Half refund? and/or bad review?? <br /><br /><br />She: <br />1. Came late. <br /><br />2. Only stayed for HALF the amt of time.<br /><br />3. Wasn't responsive to pictures and moments. When our entire families came in and everyone was hugging each other etc. She was sitting in the order talking to her BF (aka her "assistant" who only took pictures of HER taking pictures). And we had to continuously remind her to take pictures.<br /><br />4. ZERO really good portrait pictures. She must not have reviewed any of her pictures after she shot them because a LOT had our eyes closed, cutting off the top of my head or looking away. She also gave no input, no "your leaning too far in" etc. The lack of good pictures was so bad that my wife had to use her sisters camera phone pics where we weren't even looking as our main pic!!<br /><br />5. Her experience isn't very genuine and misleading -- I looked at other sites and some sites she has 2yrs, others 4yrs. Of the 4 years, 2 years are at HS journalism jobs, and 2 years as an intern.<br /><br />6. Edited our pictures in, literally 2 hours and her work was sub-par. All of the pictures were either unnecessarily in black and white or my skin was tinged orange. <br /><br /><br />Please let me know what you think! <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Andrew</p>

<p>I was under the impression we did have one but unfortunately -- No contract. It was obviously a big mistake on our part. My wife shoots weddings herself and liked her portfolio. The pictures on the portfolio were good -- correct lighting, good angles, framing, and editing. It wasn't until I saw the final result that I took a more proactive role and identified those issues. In her correspondences she claimed she had shot several weddings before but couldn't show her a single picture up.<br>

Obviously, we are at fault too. We took too much faith in her statements, abilities and didn't do proper fact checking. But the end result is that we feel we didn't get what we paid for. We paid $700 for 1.5hrs for a 19year old college student. Needless to say we feel dumb...<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>She's 19 so barely an adult but what she need is a reality check.</p>

<p>I'd be hard but fair. Half refund for the substandard job and not enough time spent at the ceremony. All raw files off all shots should be delivered to you (so you can save what could be saved). If she doesn't comply, threaten with legal action.</p>

<p>You should have known better but at the same time it's good of you to give someone a shot. Unfortunately the shooter in question needs a wake up call. Because you should know better you need to make sure she gets the message and doesn't ruin someone else wedding day.</p>

<p>Then I'd schedule another photo op with better photographer for some great shot of you and your wife in her gown. As compensation to yourself.</p>

<p>You (or more correctly your Wife) should be able to get an Album of reasonably <em>technically acceptable</em> 6x4 / 7x5 inch prints from 1Mb files, so I would not put the depression suit on, just yet.</p>

<p>If you do choose to demand a refund, then, I think you have to be realistic as to what might happen. I am not a lawyer, nor do you mention under what (country / state) laws would have aegis in this matter, but, without a contract (a paper signed contract), I suspect you could be open argument comprising simply of your word, against hers, for example apropos: how long she was engaged; what resolution images would be supplied; level of Post Production; what she stated her experience was . . . and etc . . .</p>

<p>You've probably got some 'reasonable tangible evidence' (not used as a legal term), if you have samples of her portfolio that you previewed and those sample are not at the same quality as your wedding shoot and I suspect you could attain statements from guests to describe her actions (or non-actions) on the day.</p>

<p>I do have a question to you: you mentioned that your Wife has covered 20 ~30 Weddings - did she have a written contract for each? I ask because, if she did not, then it occurs to me that would contribute somewhat as an explanation of this situation.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Choosing a 19 year old for your wedding??</p>

<p>No contract??</p>

<p>$700 for an hour and a half??</p>

<p>Low resolution JPEG??</p>

<p>Chalk that one up to a learning experience. Nevertheless, sincere congratulations on your marriage and best wishes for your future. Don't let this one bad experience overwhelm you. Remember, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.</p>

<p>She 2nd shot most of them and did have contracts for all of the ones that she was the primary shooter for. I'm really not sure why she didn't do a contract. I thought it was obvious to have one so I didn't even ask. We dropped the ball and just have to accept that at this pt. We're in salvage mode, trying to recoup and gather any pics from the camera phones from other guests. Luckily we hired a different photographer for the Reception Dinner and we saw some of his shots and they looked good. No portraits and no pics w/ my wife in her nice dress but we should hopefully have some good pics anyway. <br>

It sucks, but we talked to our "Photographer" and she has agreed to refund us in 2 weeks and give us a complimentary session where my wife can make sure she has High Res/Raw settings on. Hopefully she follows through with it. We'll see...<br>

She didn't even apologize and disregarded my wifes comments that she needs more apprenticeship/2nd shooting, lessons, and should hold off on doing first shooter weddings until at a minimum learns how to use her camera. So, we'll probably end up giving a bad review to warn people.</p>

<p>Anyway, THANKS A LOT for all of your input. Please cross your fingers for us that we can get some good pics!</p>

<p>If your wife has really shot 20-30 weddings herself, she NEVER should have hired a photographer who did not ask you sign a contract. That would have been a HUGE RED FLAG for me immediately. Unfortunately, without a contract, you don't have much to fall back on. It sounds to me like you did not do your research ahead of time, you hired an inexperienced and unprofessional photographer, and you got what you paid for.</p>

<p>How do you know that she did not shoot in RAW? Did you ask her for the RAW files or are you making that assumption based on the files that she delivered to you? Most professional photographs will not release RAW files to clients.</p>

<p>Yeah, we're sure. We asked her to read off the settings on her camera and they were Low res settings. Her excuse was that on her other shoots others just gave her a camera to use. Basically, whole situation is a nightmare but it's done at this pt. Can't get the moments back so need to just put this behind us...</p>

Ask to re-shoot the portraits of your wife and you. Go to a nice park. See if you can get your family together as

well, the same people that were at the courthouse. Pick a day that's nice with the upcoming fall season.

Beautiful fall colors.

Ask the photographer to use a tripod. Ask her to take several shots of the same subject to avoid closed eyes

and cut off heads. The tripod should solve the heads being cut off. Have your WIFE set the camera to RAW and

you use your own cards. Or better yet tell the photographer to use your WIFE'S camera. Be sure to have your

wife check the photo's after each set of photo's are taken. Then you edit your own wedding pics after.

If this lady says no you can still often sue in small claims court. Small Claims court systems are often very lax

with verbal types of contracts. $700 is pretty high. You may not get all of your money back, but I think the judge

will most likely discount this $700.

Think positive. This could turn out to be a big advantage. After the photo shoot have a family BBQ! You can

invite me to the BBQ for this good idea! Best of luck with the pic's and hope you have a fantastic marriage.

• 4 months later...