A 365 day thread for 2016

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The variety and quality continue to amaze. I look forward to seeing what will post during the upcoming months of 2016. I plan to get my color film processed and scanned soon and also "exercise" my Pentax Spotmatic F, Nikon FM, and Yashica D (as well as a few others.)</p>

<p>An "extra" from the roll I processed yesterday. Three shots were starter for the weekend thread. Here's another. The day before (when I took this photo) there was a dead opossum (around here we call 'em possums) in the road. When I returned home the possum was gone and there was this big hole in the road. Not really related incidents as the city public works was trying to find a leak in the sewer line.</p><div>00e6J1-564944784.jpg.557ddf086a26b915e4f485128fb7bb29.jpg</div>

<p>I'll go ahead with the 20th. From a roll I recently finished in my Konica C35-V. A while back I posted a shot of my town's small replica of the Statue of Liberty at start of city walking path. I mentioned that I had a wider view so that's what I have here.</p><div>00e6Pz-564972284.jpg.cf7ff0e17861a7de42e3aeee24f3dd03.jpg</div>

<p>Lately I've used a lot of Ilford FP4+. I'm still learning a few things about it, mainly optimizing the developing time. With my developing set up I've found the FP4+ to have more exposure latitude than Plus-X, but the Plus-X for me delivers finer grain and better sharpness. However, I only have one bulk roll of Plus-X left in cold storage so I'm planning ahead. I also experimented with Arista EDU 100 as well. <br>

Great images, everyone. And thanks for keeping this thread going strong.</p>

<p>Mike,<br>

<br />I am also using FP4+ quite a bit. Haven't developed my own but like you say it has good exposure latitude, suitable for autoexposure cameras and contrasty enough to use without a filter. I have also used Arista 100 with good results and haven't had any issues with it.</p>

<p> </p><div>00e6RL-564975384.jpg.c43e9a384bdbf2db1617be3fa8a93e28.jpg</div>

<p>One film that doesn't seem to get much mention on CMC is Kentmere 100, manufacture by Harman Technology. In some circles it seems to be dismissed as a "budget" version of FP4 Plus, but it's a quite different emulsion, rumoured to have a lower silver content. I've had excellent results with it, but I prefer the grittier grain structure of Arista 100 that lends a greater apparent sharpness to an image, and more "bite". Kentmere 100 would be excellent for portraiture, with it's wide tonal range. Here's a sample image of decent size, from a Nikkormat FTn fitted with the Tamron Adaptall II 28/2.5. The film was developed in Ilford ID11.</p><div>00e6UO-564983984.thumb.jpg.d07a475889ffbf11df205eb4c7af9df7.jpg</div>

<p>I remember shooting a roll of the Kentmere 100 a few years back. I think it was given to me. Don't really remember what the results were like so I'm due to give it a try. I can get 100' bulk from Adorama for around 40 USD (a little more than 1/3 the price of bulk Tri-X!). The FP4+ I've been using was about 55 USD, still reasonable. I think Arista 100 EDU is just over 40 USD from Freestyle. I don't think I really gave the Arista a good test as I was still working to find optimum developing times for HC110, which is the only developer I'm currently using. Still have a 24exp roll of it that I will use soon. <br>

I think when I've used the last of my FP4+ I will order a bulk roll of the Kentmere. One nice fact about the Kentmere: many sellers get the same price for the 400 as they do the 100. <br>

Just one more thing (to quote Columbo)- I really like Eastman 5222, but no one seems to sell it as short ends anymore. However, Film Photography Project sells fresh stock in bulk. Cost more than the Ilford film, but a lot less than Tri-X.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. I should mention that myself and several other forum members "believe" that the Ultrafine Xtreme line of films (UFX 100 or UFX 400, both 35 & 120) are the Kentmere emulsions. For over a year now I occasionally use one of the emulsions from Kentmere while using the similar speed UFX film, process them in my Obsidian Aqua simultaneously, and it is near impossible to see the differences. Both emulsions show the same differences (100 vrs 400). Currently the UFX material is only on Ebay or thru Ultrafine, so availability is here in the US. For those wanting to try the UFX emulsions, a variety pack, either 120 or 35, is available. If you shot both formats, the addition of the 120 materials will please you a bit.<br>

Rick, is the writing to the right of "library", Maori ?<br>

Bill</p>

<p>Yes, <strong>Bill</strong>, the language is Maori, officially recognised in New Zealand as an alternative language to English but featuring very little in the day-to-day running of things, and with a declining number of fluent speakers. Public facilities like the libraries do their best to preserve "te Reo", as the language is known. Roughly translated, the signage says "The House of Books".</p>

<p>Rick,<br>

I spent several months in NZ back in the 1990s (mostly on South Island) and don't recall seeing "Foxton Fizz" though I do remember Lemon & Paeroa which was pretty good. Also various snacks such as kumara chips, lamingtons, Hokey-Pokey ice cream, and Marmite in huge jars. I took a Pentax ME super on the trip, so one day when I get the time I'll scan a few photos and post them. D.</p>