A 365 day thread for 2016

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can always put one more on from Latvia for missed day. Praktica super TL Fuji 200 and Helios 44 2/55.

A small convocation of classic restored cars. 1960 Mercedes Benz, couple of Jags from 50s and similar era Porches. In

the middle of all this a Russian Volga which just does not fit in with this crowd in any respect except that it has 4 wheels.<div>00e0Th-563766384.jpeg.7146944e04f9f8258257fc27e5b1a705.jpeg</div>

<p>I'm trying to avoid posting two consecutive days, but the 19th (as the time and date are stamped here) is fast getting away. So, if anyone wants this date, it's still available. I'll wait until nearly midnight to post if no one has a picture.<br>

BTW, great work, everyone.</p>

Having just been to Latvia (daugavpils) I have been to many

small private museums where every year they still scour sites

of heavy fighting (some have not been thoroughly searched

yet). Three years following up on some anecdotal stories one

guy uncovered a German machine emplacement with a

relatively intact M34 and some remains and lots of personal

effects. Given your interest in WW II subjects I can send you

some photos or info on these substantial collections.

<p>I read about the same thing in other Eastern countries. Certainly with the hatred for the German invaders the Soviet forces left their bodies where they fell to be reclaimed by mother nature. I've seen some lugubrious photos of equipment and bones grown into trees and whatnot. <br />I'm a little reserved about these recoveries, I've seen photos of what practically came down to grave robbing pass in revue on Facebook. <br /><br /></p>

<p>I can understand that, but the impact of realising that these events actually happened on the ground where these people grew up and there families experienced as opposed to others where the war was something that was occurring 7000 miles away is overwhelming or in the case of that Roliflex from Latina that was restored on a PN post, I spoke with history professors from Dagauvpils university there (my wife was there doing work for dept of defense) and they said that there was no doubt in their mind that it was recovered from battlefield. No one would have saved it unless they thought it was a war artifact.</p>

<p>What I'm saying is that if fallen soldiers with their personal artifacts are repatriated or reburied properly I certainly am okay with their recovery. It's the dug-up medals and badges that end up on Ebay or sold for profit otherwise, that is what I frown upon. Recovery of other battlefield relics I certainly have no problem with. ;) <br />An acquaintance in Romagne (Fr) runs a Great War museum. It consists of nothing but dug-up relics.<br />I've missed the Rolleiflex topic I think. I've seen an article about a Leica Reporter that was found in a forest near Berlin a while back. <br />I have also seen some dug-up cameras from the Eastern Front offered on ebay, but there's usually not enough left to rebuild. <br /><br /></p>

Just to clarify none of these were for profit. None were

purchase for profit and were donated and the exhibitions were

free. I think you and I agree on the ethics and morality

regarding how and why they are used. It is

a matter of making us understood. I have a very strong

interest in history and at one time almost exclusively WW II. As

historical artifacts they have a purpose. I have no use for the

grave robbers. As an example there was a German officer who

wrote 1,100 letters to his wife from Latvia. Before his wife

died a short while ago she donated every single one of them to this particular collector/curator and his children visit him twice a year. There is a PHD thesis in there somewhere. But this speaks to his non .pecuniary motives and his sense of history. There is a story behind each item and he tells you.