A 365 day thread for 2016

<p>My pleasure, <strong>Mike.</strong> A few years ago, when I first came back from the cities to live in a rural community, I found this sort of creation a little tacky, but over the years I've developed an affection for the small-town approach to business. Kind of homely, I guess...</p>

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Here's one that may interest you, <strong>Donald</strong>. It's from a few frames shot with a BeLOMO Vilia camera, with it's Triplet-69-3 f/4 lens. I guess with a production run of over 2 million units, the Vilia must have a few billion images to it's credit, but I can't get very excited about it. I might try again on a brighter day when I can stop the lens down beyond f/5.6. Ilford FP4 in PMK Pyro.</p><div>00e4gL-564629584.jpg.e0970a82d8e5b57b1296bcf46f1d7c31.jpg</div>

<p>Rick<br>

A preset shutter speed based on ASA. They have not made them like that in a long time. How innovative LOL. Seriously, I can see why you are not excited. It does not offer the element to learn something and move on. It is an interesting adventurous approach. These simple innovative quirks are interesting. Maybe because my first camera was the Signet 50 I was always fascinated by simple mechanical means of linking fstop to shutter speed etc and having a good lens. Just about every camera is a platform that provides shutter speed etc and the picture quality is really dependent on the lens. So my big thrill is the simple innovative facility that makes them fun. Thanks for presentation. Just when I think I am familiar with what is out there I learn something new about about how engineers come up with different innovative technology. Kind of like the AMC Rambler.</p>

<p>Aperture and shutter linked? Is that the same as the LVS exposure system popular in a lot of mid to late 50’s cameras? The idea was that when linked the user could change shutter speed or aperture and have the other change so that overall exposure was equivalent. </p>

<p><strong>Mike</strong>, with the Vilia it's really only a calculation system rather than a linkage. According to the instructions, you first set your shutter speed to match the ISO speed of the film you're using. Next, you look into the viewfinder, observing an illuminated line of lighting situations illustrated by the usual cloudy/sunny graphics. Next, you find the tiny aperture lever beneath the lens of the camera; moving this will move a pointer along the line of graphics, and you can select the lighting situation you deem to be appropriate. Of course you can ignore the whole thing and just select any combination of aperture and shutter speeds, which is what I did.</p>

<p>The linkage of shutter speed and aperture are not novel or complicated. Of course it is not rocket science, it just seems that some manufacturers went out of their way to be different but not easier. But there seems to be and endless number of ways to do it. IMHO some of them are needlessly tedious and counter intuitive. I do not know the exact number but I have 5 or 6 different Kodaks where each have different setups. The same goes for almost all manufactures. Personally (maybe because it is the first camera I used) the Signet still has the easiest simplest system tht has given me excellent results to this day. There are other setups that I just do not see why they are so tedious. And then there are others where I think this is so neat and easy.</p>

<p>Donald- I had a great aunt that had a Signet 50. She had a ton of Kodachrome slides ranging from the time she and my uncle worked for Hershey's in pre-Castro Cuba, to some of their world travels after they left Cuba and retired. I was given several trays of her slides that I hope to scan someday soon.</p>

<p>I know, 1 picture a day. But to me (ME ONLY) this is the greatest photo I ever took (I can not tell you why) I shot this over my shoulder as I was leaving Mystic Seaport in July 1977 looking up into noontime sun. It was with my Signet 50. Is it a really a good photo? I do not know. Maybe it was my obsessions with nautical themes at the time and just plain old luck. </p><div>00e4uk-564669884.jpg.29ad8c26acc7cb0c64f3d93bc67c7fb1.jpg</div>

<p>Hello everyone. Once a year I "test drive" the mellowing, half full, vintage 2009 bottle of Rodinal, just in case I "really" need it should the pyro stainers fail. Stuff still works like a charm! K1000 & 200mm, 100Tmax @ 80asa, V800 scan. Enjoy, Bill</p><div>00e57C-564707284.jpg.7fca9083ed0525dff0f34af8593796f4.jpg</div>

<p>I may have posted this before. Agfa film Fed 4 and canon 2.8. I was looking up something on Fed camera the other day and one of the pages had an oalmost identical shot of same structure from a few years. I guess he had good taste. I am moving my thumb drives to Onedrive where I have one TB for a year.</p><div>00e5UE-564786984.jpg.d29f0c8d528e258882d08d5cf5e6da93.jpg</div>