Nikon F4 shutter problem

vadim_becker

<p>The instruction manual says not to operate the shutter with the back open as damage to the shutter curtains may occur. Fast shutter speeds will be a very brief pulse of light at best if the shutter is pointed at a bright light source.<br /> The best way to test is to load some film and do equivalent exposures of the same scene. Do not trust the battery check in a static condition, take the battery check reading with the meter activated and a grain of salt.</p>

<p>Like others said you have to verify to make sure that at those speed the shutter doesn't open at all. If they don't it could be your shutter curtain travel time is wrong. The second curtain travels faster than the first curtain. This will affect all shutter speeds but affect the higher speed a lot more. </p>

<p>Does your F4 throw an error via the RED led above R2 ?<br>

If no error indicated, your shutter should be working fine. If you had a shutter fault, you would get a red error led, a sequence error.<br>

Tripping the shutter with back open will not destroy the shutter curtains. If anything happens to the curtains they were bad to start with. It is suggested to operate at speeds above 1/250 if back is open for testing.<br>

There is a small switch, camera rear door open, end of arc of R2. The switch is in the gully. Old ones were white. Newer version are metal. Press and hold this switch in and trip shutter. You will see light right up to 1/8000. Light at 1/8000 gets very dim.<br>

The two curtains travel at the same speed, the opening between curtains shrinks in size as you go over 1/250.<br>

Marc</p>

<p>Dear all. Thank you for you responses here. I will try to explain problem one's again.<br>

1. Camera working perfect in all speeds (auto, manual, program modes) up to 1/1000<br>

2. Camera making good pictures at all speeds up to 1/1000<br>

3. There is no error massages appear at any stage.<br>

4. As soon I camera using speed of 1/1000 or higher, in any mode, camera didn't make pictures (clear negative)<br>

5. All systems are working fine: film transport, mirror up and down, and shutter curtains moved.<br>

The only problem they move closed :(<br>

I did exactly as Marc described: Opened back, pressed left switch and checked all speeds at full open aperture and as I write before all working fine up to 1/1000 sec.<br>

If any of you know how to deal with this problem I will be happy to know.<br>

All best,<br>

Vadim</p>

<p>This has been bugging me all night. Must be my tech background.<br>

The only thing I can think of is the MG (magnet) in the shutter assembly is not holding the second curtain.<br>

There is good information on this page regarding F4 shutter :<br>

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/reliability/index3.htm<br>

<br />There are two parts to holding the curtain open, mechanical and magnetic. I suspect the magnetic part has failed on you and is not holding the curtain open to delay closing with the proper timing slit/opening. <br>

There are small transistors that control current flow to the magnets. Possible magnet failure, transistor failure or CPU fail.<br>

This requires splitting the camera to get at the shutter assembly and testing it. Nikon Service did not repair shutters, they were sent back to Nikon Japan for repair and calibration. The curtains were the only service part available of the shutter. They are simple to replace and I have done it.<br>

Marc</p><div>00dozQ-561647684.jpg.d1341cb46c046f49f8bdfc0ed8e609aa.jpg</div>