Please Help!- Nikon F3 Issue

derek_reid

<p>Recently, my Nikon F3 started having issues. Whenever I trip the shutter, there is a faint click sound, lasting for a few milleseconds at most, before the shutter fires as normal. After a few clicks the mirror slows down, eventually stopping a part way up. The mirror needs a bit of a nudge to get going, or a good slap to the bottom. I know for a fact that it's not the shutter due to the fact that when I manually lock the mirror up, the shutter works 100% fine, even after firing it a hundred or so times. Even after changing the batteries in both the body and my MD-4 motor drive, the problem doesn't go away. Even the mechanical backup release is not exempt. The only way to get the camera back to stage 1 of the problem is to leave it for 8 or so hours.<br /> If any of you would, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share if you have had this problem, or any possible solutions. I will only consider professional repair as a <em>last resort solution</em>, as i do not, and cannot have a source of income. The only thing I'm considering at this point is buying another body.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Derek Reid</p>

<p>It sounds like a lubrication or linkage issue in the mechanism that raises the mirror. I would suggest, of course, sending it for repair, with my preferred repairman being Dave at Vermont Camera Works, a well regarded Nikon expert. I think if the F3 is a good one, the service might be cheaper than another body, and when done it will likely be done for the foreseeable future. However, if repair is out, I suggest that you look carefully at the F3 service manual. Perhaps you can see a likely candidate for lubrication or inspection. Here is a link (be patient, the site can be a little slow):</p>

<p>http://cameraobscura.zenfolio.com/downloads</p>

<p>edit: sorry, that link seems no longer to work. I think there might be another somewhere, but not sure. I have changed computers not too long ago, and no longer have all my old material at hand.</p>

<p>Matthew Currie,</p>

<p>Even after removing the motor drive, the shutter still sticks. Another wierd thing I discovered was that the shutter will work with a little bit of stick when I hold the camera upside down, even after the camera has completely jammed up.<br>

I regret to inform you that I'm not much of a camera repairman myself, though i do appreciate the links to the repair manuals and I have checked the mirror assembly page. Any time I have ever tried to repair a piece of photographic equipment myself, it has ended badly. (I ended up revoving many crucial springs from my Pentax S1A.)<br>

I will try Vermont Camera Works, and I like their shipping and estimate policy, though I'm a bit concerned about mailing it there as I live in Canada, and customs might be a problem, plus the cost of the repair/CLA.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Derek Reid</p>

<p>When my F3 was about 25 years old, it started behaving somewhat how you describe. I had to remove the lens and nudge the mirror down.<br>

I took it to one repair shop and they told me what part was worn out, and that the part was no longer available.<br>

After about 3 years of "retirement" I learned of someone near me here in Toronto who knew Nikons well. My F3 was subjected to a "heavy duty" cleaning and it was back running like a youngster.<br>

I hope the fix is as simple as it was for me.</p>

<p>Shipping to the U.S. is not the problem. UPS charges a VAT on all shipments from the U.S. to Canada based on stated value of the item(s) regardless of purchased or return to owner.<br>

People that have sent me Large Format gear for servicing used Canada Post and I returned USPS. I do not know if they paid a VAT on the repair costs or not. The gear was marked return of addressee owned merchandise and insured for approximate replacement cost. I do not service 35mm cameras. Request/verify that the postal service will be used for the return of your equipment when sent to the U.S. for repair.<br>

I have not dealt with FedEX or DHL on Canadian shipments from the U.S.</p>

<p>Derek.<br>

Raymond (of Winball Camera Repairs) works out of his garage and speaks little English. His wife speaks English fairly well, and will relay instructions. <br>

Don't be put off by this because he apparently used to run Nikon's repair facility in Hong Kong, training techs to repair the F3. Link to address and phone number is below.<br>

http://www.manta.com/ic/mtq0ppg/ca/winball-camera-repairs-consulting-co<br>

He is in the Bayview and Steeles area, if you know Toronto.<br>

Hope this works out for you.<br>

Frank</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are the possible roots of your evil. There is one hefty spring that cocks the mirror up and stops the lens down for a shot, it is hard as H*** to activate with your fingers. Once shutter is released, the mirror returns via spring in second image. If the mirror floats around or slow to return home, the return spring is possibly popped off.

Otherwise it is lube job to loosen up the mechanism. At any rate, it is split the camera in two, soldering and all.

Marc N Fournier

Quebec<div>00dilr-560543184.jpg.8a1688bb52c71fed51d3d9e34b7ec7df.jpg</div>