Homemade Photo-flo???

I am just about out of Photo-flo and noticed that the two main

ingredients are distilled water and propylene glycol. I happen to

have a large bottle of propylene glycol sitting around the house and,

since I'm feeling thrifty, I was wondering if I could put it to good

use by turning it into wetting agent. Does anyone know the formula

to mix a reasonable facsimile of Photo-flo? (I tried searching the

archives, Digitaltruth, and Google and had no luck).

I don't think there's a single formula for just one kind of wetting agent. I noticed Edwal's stuff (LFN?) has isopropyl alcohol in it, presumably to aid in evaporation and perhaps as a preservative.

I'd think any surfactant free of unessential stuff like perfumes, suitably diluted, would do the trick.

I'm also guessing that a wetting agent would work better if it resisted foaming. After inspecting the effects of Photo-Flo and homebrewed wetting agents on film the most pernicious water marks are left by bubbles. Secondarily are marks forming around the perimeters of areas where surface tension has caused water to remain anywhere on the film rather than dripping straight down due to gravity - I'm sure there's a more technical term for this phenomenon. Whatever it is, Photo-Flo doesn't do a good job of resisting it.

Slightly off topic, but just a word word to those thinking of using home made products or those other than specific photo products: Many will contain products that will leave marks on the negs. Im thinking mainly of washing up liquids which contain silicon i beleive to make your plates look nice and shiny.

I find that distilled water on its won work well

Photo-flo and its equivalents are cheap, and you can re-use it, making it incredibly cheap. I can't see wasting time and energy to save ten cents with something "almost as good" except in an emergency. I will admit to having used vinegar for stop bath, when in need- effective but stinky.

Plenty of speculation and even some finger-wagging, but not a single actual answer to the question. Let me make this perfectly clear. I already have the propylene glycol and I know that it's an ingredient in Photo-flo. I'm not looking to make a cheap substitute for wetting agent nor am I planning on putting a laboratory glassware cleaner on my negatives! I just want to put the propylene glycol to some use rather than letting it sit on the shelf or pouring it down the drain. I'm not trying to save a few pennies, I'm just trying to be a little less wasteful. Now, does anyone have the recipe or should I just dump the bottle of propylene glycol down the drain?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

On B&W film I used one part white vinegar-15 parts distilled water with good results. This is the same recipe that I use to clean window glass with out streaking, figured if it worked on glass why not film.

May not work for you , try on some old negatives.

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same issue: A half-filled 5 gallon can of propylene glycol in my basement. You can just pour it into your radiator, since it's used in the Peak brand.

Also, anhydrous (straight up) PG was used by Chevy for a short while c. 1985 as a high temp antifreeze, since there was no water to bubble as the temps climbed over 300F

• 11 years later...