"Face" -- A New Book by Bruce Gilden

<p>Last I heard was that Magnum is planning on licencing out its name. So I guess that means we will soon be able to purchase Magnum perfumes and colognes or maybe at the least Magnum camera bags and camera straps. Seriously, what Brad mentioned seems to be true from what I've read over the last few years...Magnum is losing some of its luster and seems to be trying new directions in order to stay afloat and relevant. One can only hold onto and live off past glories and pedigree for so long. I guess now that everyone who has a cell phone (which is everyone on earth except maybe for 3 or 4 folks living deep in the Amazonian rain forest) publications who would normally look to photojournalists to supply them with news photographs now just put up a online cattle call for "citizen journalists" to upload their photographs.</p>

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>So I guess that means we will soon be able to purchase Magnum perfumes</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Marc, where have you been? LOL! Been around since the 1920s. <a href="http://www.ebay.com/gds/Vintage-Magnum-Perfume-Bottles-/10000000004233141/g.html">LINK</a>.</p>

<p>Yes</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . "citizen journalists" . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>. . . are an important additional ingredient to traditional journalism and the significance of citizen journalism is not lost on many of the biggest news outlets. Our document of both the Occupy movement and the Arab Spring benefitted greatly from those folks who were directly and personally involved and captured the immediacy and intensity with their cell phone cameras. <a href="http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/dec/29/arab-spring-captured-on-cameraphones">GUARDIAN ARTICLE.</a><br>

</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Oh I agree Fred, I just wonder how more difficult it is for actual photojournalists to make a living these days with so many cell phone users willing to give their pictures up for usage for free. I think it was only a year or so ago the LA Times laid off most of their photographers. Newspaper subscriptions are down quite a bit I have read so that may have also been a factor in this decision. </p>

<p><br />"What happened to warm beer?"</p>

<p>Dear Jeff,</p>

<p>It has been a time before we have had the pleasure of writing to each other.</p>

<p>I understand your concerns that the exquisite flavors of fine brews are being corrupted by these new chilling devices...but times are changing. I have found in my travels that there are many new marvels to behold in the world. I myself have purchased a wonderful machine which enables me to talk to fair folk across the great oceans of the world: it has one of the little folk inside who talks to me, and answers all my questions when it has not participated in too much of the golden liquid which it does most of the time...</p>

<p>Yours Sincerely</p>

<p>Allen</p>

<p>So now we have Gilden's "50 People Who You're Glad you Never Dated"</p>

<p>I love you guys. I need to go home and read through all of this. I don`t care for Gilden`s HDR of less than pretty faces. Its easy to do, it doesn`t take any real talent except a nice sharp lens and some good software. I`m kind of `meh`about it.</p>

• Henri Matisse. “Creativity takes courage”