Nikon software cable

robert_stig

<p>My d3 had af issues last year. Would work but focus was all over and not locking. Took it to an overseas lab. </p>

<p>Technician said they use a cable and software to reset it. </p>

<p>What cable software is this abd is it attainable to make settibgs changes internally. </p>

<p>Not worried to brick the gear as its been through hell and back. </p>

<p>I don't know about the DSLR but I happened to know that on the film F5 Nikon does have a software package that came with 1 floppy disk. It uses the same MC-33 cable to communicate with the camera and can make shutter speed adjustments and meter adjustments. I have the service manual that said to use such software but of course I don't have the software. </p>

<p>If you want even to attempt anything like this you'll need both the repair manual and the software, but even the guys on nikonhacker.com advise against doing this as "Most people are not qualified enough to use it properly". The repair manual would tell you the cables to use. I've looked briefly at a D700 manual, and most adjustments can apparently be done either by USB or by a 10-pin to serial connection (they specify the ancient MC-31 cable, but my uneducated guess would be that the MC-33 would also work). A few adjustments (e.g. involving a shutter tester) can only be done over the serial connection, but it looks like focus adjustments can use serial or USB.</p>

<p>I'm surprised to read that the D700 uses the crude 10 pin serial connection for internal adjustments. I'm also surprised that the D3 uses its USB connection for firmware updating, rather than just the flash-memory card.</p>

<p>I had to familiarise myself with Nikon's 10-pin serial port operation in order to interface a DIY Bluetooth-to-GPS dongle to the D700 and D800.The serial interface uses software handshake, with auto Baud rate detect (apparently) and no parity. It's also TTL level, and not true RS232. This seems like a bit of an "iffy" connection for such vital information transfer. No wonder the guys at Nikonhacker don't advise using it!</p>

<p>If you must, there's free software called "Realterm" that allows the transmission of any data string over a serial port or USB-to-serial adapter. A USB-to-serial adapter is probably safer, because most of them output TTL levels only. Although a bespoke piece of software would make talking to the camera easier I suspect. In any event it would rely on the camera software/firmware being intact enough to initiate a data transfer.</p>

<p>FWIW, GPS data can just be "rammed" into the camera's RX connection only, with no handshake at all. The camera will recognise GPS data strings and automatically turn on its GPS facility.</p>

<p>I nearly forgot that I had a diagram of the 10 pin port. See below. Colours shown are those of the cable connected to a genuine Nikon 10 pin connector, and hence the pin numbering was allocated according to the IESA standard colour code.</p>

<p>The pin labelled "I/O 1" may be a hardware handshake line, but I can find nothing documented about it online. The label is Nikon's description. If anyone knows what its use is, I'll be glad to know.</p><div>00dKkd-557109984.jpg.9d13a5a48cd2499ddf8d3296113d665d.jpg</div>