Projecting raw or TIFF files

<p>I used to shoot slide film before I had gone digital and there was nothing like a projected slide (especially med format). I was wondering if it's possible to recreate the same experience with digital projection (I'm not interested in converting digital files to slide film). If so, what hardware would you recommend? Any specific techniques? Anything to be aware of?<br>

<br />Thanks</p>

<p>Yes using a good digital projector with files prepared for this output would be a good substitute. <br>

In terms of projector technologies most can afford, stay away from DLP’s with one filter wheel. Stick with LCD. Most projectors under a few thousand dollars are built for presentations and advertise what people think is important spec, Lumens. Viewing black text on a white bkgnd isn’t the same goal as projecting colorful images and to get high lumen values, DLP’s use a white segment to make that lumen value higher. What happens if you used a slide projector and then shine a white light onto the image? It looks brighter yes, the colors appear washed out. LCD <em>may</em> have a lower lumen spec but that tells you nothing about the quality of color! <br>

See: http://www.colorlightoutput.com</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>What about resolution of the projector? Does that play a role? Is it a waste of time projecting TIFFs and RAW files? Should I simply project JPEGs? How would projecting via an LCD projector compare to projecting a slide?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What about resolution of the projector?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They vary, some allow control over this. It’s not a big deal, you’d be using images much like those you’d post to a web page. <br>

You <strong>can’t</strong> project a raw, that data has to be rendered. After that, TIFF or JPEG, in sRGB will be fine. You can project a good quality JPEG no problem but if you have TIFF’s, it’s not like you <strong>have</strong> to convert to JPEG. <br>

I can’t answer your last question because it depends. On the projector, the size you project them, the ambient light in the room etc. The quality can be as good or perhaps a tad better than the old methods. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Let's assume that the room can be totally or almost totally dark, assuming a 60"-100" projection. What is the highest resolution file that I should project? Meaning, at which point does the resolution of the projector becomes the limiting factor? Are you saying that a 1024x768 image file is sufficient and not bother projecting a 5500x3800 image file?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What is the highest resolution file that I should project?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, it depends on the projector. 1024x768 image file is sufficient. You <em>could</em> open that 5500x3800 in Photoshop and project it too. And like viewing it on your display, you’d have to zoom out to see the entire image. The projector isn’t much different from your display. Depending on the unit, it can produce differing resolutions. </p>

<p>How important is it to get the higher resolution projector? The color luminance makes sense. Would a higher resolution projector make as much difference as the one with a higher color luminance? Would there be a dramatic difference with a higher resolution projector vs zooming out with a lower res one?<br>

<br />Thanks for your help</p>

<p>If you're going to the warm, dark, room "click, click, snore, click..." effect you don't need the very latest projector anyhow. Do some eBay searching for used ones and then check out the reports on them on-line. If you belong to a photo club/collective, sometimes they sell off their old projectors.</p>

<p>School ones, like their slide projectors before them, may be used to death..</p>

<p>Hi Alexander,<br>

First of all, I am not an expert in projector technology. However I have compared images projected through recent model multimedia projectors to that produced on color calibrated monitors. The results are not very promising. I can understand lack of saturation (reflected light vs emitted light), but I saw horrible color shifts that look like day and night.</p>

<p>I think most of these projectors are designed for powerpoint presentations or movies and not for serious photo viewing. Even if you get one, make sure it has as wide a color gamut as possible and then be prepared to calibrate it well. Otherwise I don't think colors will pop as you were mentioning. BTW, I have seen slides projected through non-digital projectors, so I have an idea how they look.</p>

<p>That said, what I provided is general info, not for any particular projector model. Perhaps someone with direct experience of the particular model that you asked will be able to provide more insights.</p>

<p>Thanks, Supriyo. That was extremely helpful. That's the type of a thing that I've been looking for: Someone who can give me a comparison of what a digital projection would look like compared to a slide projection.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Someone who can give me a comparison of what a digital projection would look like compared to a slide projection.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You didn't get that!<br /> With a good LCD projector, the quality of the image (which can be calibrated and profiled) should/can look as good as a display or a slide projector but if you want simplistic generalities, I can't help. Because lumping all displays and projectors together is pointless. You can spend thousands of dollars on a high end, wide gamut display or hundreds of dollars on a projector and vise versa. Did you view the significant image quality differences between LCD and DLP projectors from the URL I provided? If not you should. <br /> Some projectors are, as I originally wrote, designed for black text on a white bkgnd. That bkgnd plays a huge role too! Take the best projector you can afford and shine it on an off white wall versus a good screen, it will make a big difference in the quality of the image! And that's true for a slide projector. <br /> You want a general recommendation, look at any of the LCD projectors from Epson. Stay away from DLP.</p>

<p>I did look at the site. It was helpful, but I am still not sure if the resolution of the projector plays a role and how big a role it plays. I have looked at various sites talking about the projectors and the opinions are all over the place, although everyone agrees about staying away from DLP. <br /><br />So, let's say we take an Epson 1024x768 projector at around $400 with a good screen (naturally). We'll color calibrate it and profile it. We'll display in a dark room. What are we going to get? Is the image going to rival a projected slide?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So, let's say we take an Epson 1024x768 projector at around $400 with a good screen (naturally). We'll color calibrate it and profile it. We'll display in a dark room. What are we going to get? Is the image going to rival a projected slide?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The only way to get the correct answer is to run a test, anything else is speculation. Do you realize that every time you project a slide, you degrade it from the light source? Are your images digital? If so, you have to use a digital projector. If you defined what your options are, your budget and what you hope to accomplish, that would help but the above question can't be answered. You have a slide, you want to project it side by side with the digital projector. So how was it scanned? That plays a role. Too many variable such if anyone states "<em>A slide projector is better (or worse) than a digital projectors"</em> is mostly blowing smoke up your, you know what. <br>

As I said, based on projected images I've worked with, and yes, I do calibrate and profile the projector, the quality with a decent LCD projector is good enough for the task at hand. In many situation today, you have no choice but to use a digital projector. <br>

The question is akin to "<em>is a digital print as good as a analog print made in the darkroom?</em>" The real answer is, yes, no, maybe. Simplistic questions deserve simplistic answers. </p>

<p>Hi Alexander,<br /> The resolution depends on what distance you are looking at the projected image as well as the size of the projected image. At standard viewing distance (look at projector manufacturer guidelines for optimum viewing distance) there won't be much difference between a slide and a digital projection. However if you walk closer to the screen, you will be able to see finer details of your slide in a slide projection, whereas in a digital projection, you will see the individual RGB pixels, not any fine details. The projected image from a slide projector is of very high resolution (say >25 megapixel to say crudely), while in a digital projection, the resolution will be hardly 1-2 megapixel. However from normal sitting distance (and with proper output sharpening), there shouldn't be much difference.</p>

<p>One thought: slides have poorer dynamic range than modern digital camera images. Your digital images should be able to show more shadow details than a projected slide if you optimize your RAW image properly. So, with good post processing and calibrated hardware (and at optimum viewing distance) your digital projection could supersede slide projection in terms of impact.</p>

<p>Thanks, Supriyo. That's the answer to my question.</p>

<p>Andy, I fail to see what was so ambiguous about the question that I asked. I have digital files. I'm not looking to project them side by side with slides. In fact, I don't have to project at all. I'm not looking to digitize the slides. I simply asked if the digital projectors were good enough so as to have the same visual impact as 35mm or med format slides projections.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I simply asked if the digital projectors were good enough so as to have the same visual impact as 35mm or med format slides projections.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>See the 1st sentence of the 2nd post. </p>