Which lens for Kauai helicopter flight?

zvia_shever

<p>Either one should do just fine. Helicopters do have significant vibration, meaning you can't rely on bracing your camera against a structural member for stability; in addition you'll be moving all the time (ie the helo doesn't stop to take shots), so it really depends on how steady you are, and the weather, since you will want to use the highest shutter speeds available (at least 1/500, preferably better than 1/1000). My experience on a similar flight there, was with a non-IS lens, good sunny skies, and ISO 400. Unless you're planning to print significant enlargements, say for commercial sale, I'd go with the 17-40, as you'll truly want the widest angle lens possible.</p>

<p>Hi Zvia,<br>

I mostly agree with Stephen. Helicopters have a lot of vibration, and won't stop moving forward for your shots. I would go with the 17-40 even though I know you make photos suitable for big enlargements. IS becomes much less effective at high shutter speeds. Have a safe, wonderful flight.<br>

And, of course, I know you shoot full frame.<br>

Hector</p>

<p>Fast shutter will negate chopper vibrations, as noted. I've used 20mm recently on similar flight, but if you need some sort of tele detail (that you spot enroute), such as cool-looking waterfalls, etc. you likely will not get the shot. It's a tough call. Unless the pilot will do a second fly-by, you'd not have enough time to change lenses. Besides, with open door I'm not so sure I'd want to *period*.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>I have been on exactly one helicopter flight (a year and half ago in November, 2013, in New Zealand). The door was closed in that occasion. IMO 24mm is plenty wide from the air. In that occasion I had the Nikon D800E (full 35mm frame) and a 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR lens. It worked out great for me. A short tele lets you zoom in for some details.</p>

<p>A high shutter speed is a must, of course.</p>

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up using the 17-40 and i think it was the right decision. The company I went with

uses a small helicopter that can get really close to the cliffs etc... I think the 24-05 would have been too long for the

coastline.<div>00dLPL-557211584.jpg.ee149f3d9ef5694bcdaa18c3cf01b499.jpg</div>

<p>I used 35 mm f/1.4 AIS manual lens, Made the flight back in 1992 and the helicopter stopped in the air (but still moving the propellers), which is worse, because much more vibrations. Used speed of 1/1000 and 50 ASA Film Fuji Velvia. Also changed lenses in flight, no problems here in Chile. Also used 50 mm f/1.2 and 85 mm f/1.4, all AIS and manual lenses. My flight was high up to take photos of indsutries in the ground such as a coal mine and a Methanol Complex (the biggest one in the world). Also took aerials of Punta Arenas city. I was the only passengers on the flight and both doors were open on my sides. No wind. It cost me quite a bit. Very expensive!</p>

<p>I used the 28-105 on a Maxxum. It worked well as I recall, probably 400 print film at the time, for pass around pics. I got the open frame door seat she got the middle. Incidentally, because I was apparently the only passenger with an SLR, in addition to the open window, he made passes on my side, banked steep along the crater on my side, etc., to the extent he could in the tour flight patterns. My wife used all of the paper bags they carried and saw nothing after we zoomed over the ridge and dropped into Waimea Canyon. I can say with absolute certainty that "we" will never, ever take another helicopter sight seeing flight. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>I would recommend the 24-105. </p>

<p>I've shot through the plexiglass windows of a helicopter in the past, and have never been happy with the results. It's ESPECIALLY bad if you use a polarizer.</p>

<ul>

<li>See if the company has a tour that they do for photographers - with the doors off. That's really the best way to do it</li>

<li>If they don't do it with the doors off, see if they have any helicopters with portals you can stick the lens out of</li>

<li>Be mindful of the blades when you are shooting wider angle. I've had to do some serious photoshop work to clean up some images that had the blades showing up at the top</li>

</ul>

<p>Here's some shots I've done - the majority of these were shot out of a helicopter with the door off : Flickr Search

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I went over a decade ago in the age of film and took a 24-70 and it actually worked out very well. I was in a Hughes 500 with the doors off and it was really great. No way I could change film (or data cards or lenses) just too much wind but the photography was great. Bring a BIG data card. </p>

<p>Don't know if they are still in business but I flew on Inter-Island Helicopters and they had a little tour where they landed in the middle in a secluded little cove and had lunch and swam in a little eden like pond. One of my best adventures ever with lots of good photographs to remember it by. </p>

<p>Hard to point your lens ANYWHERE on Kauai and not get a good picture. </p>