Windows 10 Released to Public

Upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro on a recent X99-A build to the released build version 10.0.10240

The 8.1 install was previously activated with a valid PID. An upgrade in place will not prompt for the PID. Booting from install media will prompt.

After a seamless upgrade in place, Adobe Creative Cloud desktop manager needed an update. Which in turn

provided updates to Photoshop and Lightroom.

If you want to upgrade now, visit the Windows 10 Media Creation page at Microsoft.

Choose correct tool (32 or 64 bit), download, run, and select Update this PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please upgrade ASAP when ready and share your experiences with the group.

<p>I upgraded from Windows 8.1 yesterday and it was really smooth. The only problem was that the bluetooth didn't work at first. I delete the driver, restarted and it worked.<br /> It kept all my settings, didn't change anything, even the folders I was working on some applications, like Capture NX-D, was the same after the upgrade.<br /> I was really used to the look of Win 8.1 and now the new Start is a little confuse but I'm sure it will be ok. It is not like win 7 or Win 8, just different. The rest is the same. The update tools is not on Control Panel anymore but in Settings.<br /> <br />A little tip is that the Control Panel seems to be gone at the first look, but it is not, just right click on the Start and there is a list of common tools, Control Panel, Administrations Tools and so.<br /> Now I'm trying to get rid of the annoying things, like the Cortana, and some pops.<br /> <br />I installed also on a little and old notebook and it is working great, a little faster, on my working laptop I didn't see any significant change on performance, Windows 8.1 was already fast.</p>

Installed CS5 from DVD media to a Windows 10 test box with no other Adobe software previously installed.

Setup prompts for serial numbers and Adobe login. Runs to completion with all side apps like Bridge getting installed correctly.

Photoshop (32 and 64) versions installed. Seems to run fine with default bits under Windows 10

However when you go to Update the suite, things get complicated.

Adobe Application Manager fails even if I run it under Administrator mode. Shows all items needing an update. Works through list, then says contact Adobe. You know what their answer will be, upgrade to CC 2015.

Maybe if you installed and updated CS5 on a previous Windows version (7/8), then upgraded to Windows 10?

<p>On my main computer I installed with Windows 8.1 update, it just ask to install Windows 10 now or schedule for later.<br /> <br />Then I generate two DVDs, one 32bits and one 64bits from ISO using this link below for backup and to re-install it if my hard disk crashes:<br /> <a href="https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10">https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10</a><br /> <br />The 32 and 64 must be generated on respective operating system 7 or 8 or 10.<br /> <br /> Then I install with the DVDs on another two laptops with Windows 7, one Start 32 bits version and other Home 64.<br /> <br /> On the 32 It gives 3 options :<br /> <br /> 1 - if you want to upgrade keeping aplications and data<br /> 2- just keep my personal data (I understand later that this mean preserve the folders Document, Pictures, etc which I don't use) and delete aplications<br /> 3. delete aplications and personal data (I though it formats the disk but it didn't, delete Windows, Programs and User, but keeps all the other folders intact)<br /> <br /> I delete everything on this 32 bits, just a notebook to browse on the sofa (kept my custom folders)<br>

<br /> On the 64 it just said that will keep all data and aplications, everything intact. Didn't give me any option, unless I skip.<br /> <br />I just recommend to do all updates on Windows 7 or 8 before upgrading to Win 10 to avoid any problem, including optional updates. Some of these updates prepare your operating system for the upgrade.<br /> <br />For those that like Internet Explorer, it is still there, listed on All Programs :)</p>

<p>About the product key, I read that if you make a clean install on a valid computer, it mean the one that had a valid Win 7 or 8.1 installed before, you don't need the product key, if it ask you just skip it, it will validate with your previous registering.</p>

<p>If you change the motherboard it is a problem because since Windows 7 the validation is made with the BIOS. I don't know the solution.<br /> As I said before, I generated the DVDs, as recommended, in case I have a problem with the Hard Disk. Microsoft says that there is no need to install Windows 7 or 8 to install as upgrade Windows 10 on the same computer. Just install Windows 10.</p>

<p>I strongly suggest anyone upgrading to Windows 10 read this PC World article, http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875600/windows/windows-10-the-best-tips-tricks-and-tweaks.html#slide1 .</p>

<p>I updated both my PC's. I run CS5 on the main one, a Dell XPS8500 that had a clean install of Win8.1. I haven't tested beyond opening the program in both 64 bit and 32 bit versions then clicking on help-updates resulting in a blank manager box that suddenly showed you are up to date when I clicked the close X.<br>

This Insprion will get a clean install when the warranty expires.</p>

<p>Other important thing is about anti-virus, some of installed anti-virus is not ready for Windows 10. A friend of mine had problem on the upgrade telling that had to uninstall the anti-virus before continue. I use Norton and there was a update to get ready for Windows 10. Check your anti-virus before upgrade.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>clicking on help-updates resulting in a blank manager box that suddenly showed you are up to date when I clicked the close X.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Charles, this problem you mentioned may happen, I'm just wondering, when to update or the routine to update check your OS and don't recognize it, Windows 10 is new.</p>

<p>I tried "check for updates" on Photoshop Elements 12, Corel Paint Shop Pro X5, Nikon Capture NX-D (this calls Nikon Message) and others and all worked fine. When I tried to run Adobe Download Assistant, just to check what you said, it returned a error and ask to update to Adobe Air which I didn't because I don't need it.</p>

<p>I don't use CS5 but may be it has something to do with it, please check.</p>

<p>I have PS 7 and Elements 9 installed on this machine, both run just fine on Windows 10. If you need an Adobe Air update or other Adobe product update to get your updates update them, update your Adobe products, then run the Windows 10 update.</p>

<p>I pirated Solitaire off my XP machine sometime back and ran it on 8.1 direct. All you need is cards.dll and sol.exe in a folder on your HD and run sol.exe. It works just fine on 10.</p>

<p>If a needed program does not run on 10 then you can always return to your earlier version of Windows.</p>

It's working fine on my laptop. But I did make sure to clean extraneous shortcuts out of my Start

menu before the upgrade.

Also it looks like it takes a few reboots to reinstall all the drivers so not everything works right at

first.

Additionally it seems to be incompatible with the program I used to let my touchpad and mouse

have different sensitivities. Which really should have been a Windows feature 2 decades ago.

<p>It's running fine on my five-year-old Thinkpad x201 (i5, 8GB RAM) - Photoshop and Lightroom CC, DxO Filmpack 5 and ViewPoint 2, and Vuescan are all working correctly.<br>

<br />The computer's been upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 and now 10 without a reinstall. I cloned the original drive to an SSD a few months ago, so the performance is great. The Windows upgrade was telling me that I was reserved, but should wait until Lenovo certified the computer - which they aren't going to do because Intel won't certify 2nd generation Sandy Bridge systems for Win10, so I grabbed the upgrade with the Microsoft media maker app and installed off a USB flash drive.<br>

Before upgrading, I upgraded my AV package (Kaspersky) to the newest version (after the upgrade it prompted me to reconfigure for KAV 2016 for Win10) and removed Stardock's Start8 start menu that I'd been using under Windows 8/8.1. </p>

<p>The only problem I'm having is with Capture NX-2, the program load it's very slow, taking more than 30 seconds to load. I find out that it's not really a Windows 10 problem but Capture NX-2 problem accessing Internet when it loads, it did not happen with Windows 8.1. The combination Capture NX-2+Norton+Windows 10 is not good, at least for now.</p>

<p>I deinstalled and installed again and it was the same. I didn't try to deinstall Norton.</p>

<p>If I disable internet access it loads very fast, 1 to 2 seconds. As I don't use it too much it's is OK. I have two options, wait for the 30 or disable the internet for a few seconds. Once is loaded it works fine with internet. Looks it's trying to validate the serial number or something, and it does validates OK when connected.</p>

<p>I use just for little retouches for TIFF files sometimes, I can live with that. Anybody has the same problem, even with another software ?</p>

There is a third option: do not use Capture NX-2. It's not the only (nor best) program to do what it does.<br><br>Windows 10 doesn't want to run on my dual Xeon (admittedly a bit older) machine i use for scanning and image processing. Not a great loss, i guess, since it works fine with Windows 7, and i also have some SCSI devices connected to that computer that were rather difficult to get running under Windows 7 already (no support for SCSI adapters).<br>But i'm curious anyway: i have Nikon Scan running under Windows 7, both 64 and 32 bit versions. Anyother users of Nikon Scan already tried Windows 10? Does it still work?

<p>I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I had a working installation of Nikon Scan with a Coolscan V ED using hacked drivers I found on the web. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit broke it.</p>

<p>I went to the Silverfast site and downloaded and installed the demo of version 8.5 of their scanning software for the Nikon Coolscan. Now here's the crazy, ironic thing: Nikon Scan finds the scanner and works fine; the Silverfast 8.5 demo does not!<br>

Oh well. I'm happy.</p>

<p>Al</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"It's running fine on my five-year-old Thinkpad x201 (i5, 8GB RAM)"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Paul, do you have the tablet version? I have an X201 multitouch tablet with pen input and not sure if it will work properly under Windows 10. It's now running Windows 7 Pro. </p>