Minolta Auto Cord or Bronica ETRC

azaan_izzam

<p>Hi All,<br>

This is my third post in the website on Film Cameras, although a lot of people have helped me here my initial choices changed really fast due to their advices as well as the items being purchased off by others. Not to mention some consulting fees I had to pay that really pulled down my initial budget.<br>

So an excellent condition Minolta Auto Cord 6 by 6 going for 150 Euro seems a great choice so does a good condition Bronica ETRC with prism view finder & 75mm f/2.8 lens at 200 Euros! <br>

I am interested in going with the Minolta but I have heard about the focus lever problems. <br>

I have checked the forum and the advices seem to insufficient for me to opt for TLR over 645 or the other ways round. Is there any particular advantage of one over the other. <br>

I am looking for a complete package. I will not be spending on extra lens at any point of time in the future. <br>

Is the Autocord or the Bronica at a good price relative to the market price these go for? <br>

Thanks in advance,</p>

<p>It really boils down to your deciding what TYPE of camera you want...a TLR or a SLR. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. You are better off holding off purchasing anything, until you make the decision...then you can begin to look for bargains. If there is even a remote possibility of your expanding your horizons to use a different focal length than 75mm-80mm, you should be investigating SLRs - since the TLRs (excepting a very few) will only use auxiliary lenses. Some of the finders for SLRs incorporate adjustable diopters...especially useful if you wear glasses; some of the TLRs have accessory diopters for the magnifying viewfinders, but they can be quite difficult to find. SLRs can use both waist level finders and euy level/prism finders whereas most TLRs are restricted to waist level finders, or non-glass frames for action work (but you have to prefocus using either the distance scales or waist level finders). So it is important for you to determine how you expect to use the cameras, what interchangeable features are most important to you, and then begin your search. FWIW, I've owned both over the years and enjoyed using both, although these days I've stuck with a TLR for when I want to do medium format work.</p>

<p>When I did film, I purchased a used Autocord without the meter and my results for B/W 8X10's were superb prints. Color results were good too. I had paid $75 for the TLR. But, when my company relocated me to Miami and I was at Vizcaya using the TLR, at one point while cranking to the next frame, something snapped and the crank hung up. I visited a camera shop, Quimby's as I recall, and the owner not only fixed the forward crank (he said it was made of a cheap alloy) but also installed a brighter viewing screen which made the Autocord rival the view I had from a Rollei TLR with the Schneider Xotar (spelling?) f2.8 lens. At f8 the Autocord does nicely but it's really not good for sports/action and was best used at an amateur level.</p>

<p>Thank you Stephen,<br>

I am a student and budget is of concern for me. Naturally I am towards the Minolta Auto cord...<br>

I have heard the focus lever problem with the Minolta. Did you have the problem with the Minolta? The Minolta is in excellent condition as per the seller. While the Minolta goes in some places for as low as Euro 100. <br>

The Bronica is at a good price point since it generally goes for $300 and I am getting it for $200. This is why I am tempted. <br>

Just wanted to know if optically one is good over the other. <br /><br />Does 6 by 6 offer advantages over 6 by 4.5 ? Obviously a larger negative is better but at 8-12MP scans, will this be difference, if any, be noticable? <br>

Many thanks,<br>

Azaan</p>

<p>As Stephen says, +</p>

<p>TLRs are more rugged, mostly, with fewer moving parts. These were the favorites of many major photographers from the late 30s to the 60s.</p>

<p>Medium-format SLRs can be more fragile with many moving parts and large mirrors to move about. Many of the non-Hasselblad versions were "selected against" in the SLR evolutionary struggle. As with all film cameras, but even more so here, service on these older cameras can be hard to find and expensive. I personally would want a eye-level prism on one if it is available.</p>

<p>Although 120 film is not going to go away in the next year, it is almost impossible to find outside regular camera stores - and they are becoming rare in their own right.<br>

120 film processing is either do-it-yourself, or mail. Other medium format films are heavily endangered if not extinct.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>changed really fast due to their advices as well as the items being purchased off by others</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think one of your problems is that you need to focus more on what YOU WANT, than on the short-term offerings available at any moment. There is little likelihood that responses here or elsewhere can keep up with auction or BIN offerings.<br>

Decide the kind of camera you want, narrow down the range of models and brands you can accept, then search for those and bid/offer on the ones that fit your criteria. </p>

<p>I'd suggest that you find really good (and reliable) repair place for Bronica or Minolta....and go from there. It's rather obvious that SLR's tend to offer more flexibility and options....even if the Auto Cord was in LN condition. Check your priorities.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /><br />"focus more on what YOU WANT,"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dear JDM,<br>

What I want is an inexpensive entry into the world of Film & Medium Format while at the same time have it work for many more years to come.<br /> I initially wanted the DP3 Merill but due to unexpected events, I had to cut down my original budget, now I will get some more money from insurance by the start of May and then able to reinstate my budget to half of the original budget for the camera alone.<br /> If the Minolta didn't have the focus lever problem, I would have gone with them but just wanted to check if the Bronica is a better option...<br>

<br /> Dear Leszek,<br /> I know a place here that repairs old SLRs but I will ask if they repair MFs.<br /> Thanks for your comments..</p>

<p>I've had two Autocords and neither had the focus lever issue. What happens is the focus becomes stiff through seized lubricant and the user exerts enough force on the lever to break it. If the lever isn't broken, and the focus is reasonably smooth and light as mine were, you should be OK. I think the handle design was improved in later models. otherwise it is a pleasant TLR to use - within TLR limitations - with a nice bright focusing screen.</p>

<p>I've also had an ETRC - its a version of the ETRS with a hinged, rather than removable back and is fine if you don't need interchangeable film backs. The design being a little simpler than the ETRS, with no dark slide, etc, it may be a little more reliable. Is it a metering prism, or a plain prism?</p>

<p>I was always a little disappointed with the results from the ETRC, perhaps the format is just not big enough but I felt that the vibration which happens when the shutter / mirror operate tended to affect sharpness. It does better on a heavy tripod, or with flash. So if you want to hand hold, the TLR may be the better option. I realise others may dispute this though.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the reply John! Very helpful.<br>

I will ask the seller what is the year of manufacture for the Autocord. He says its in excellent condition with very light signs of wear.<br>

The ETRC has a metered prism. Mostly I will be using the Tripod. <br>

I am already over my budget with the TLR, wondering if the Bronica will give me any advantage. </p>

<p>The Autocord is a very nice handling camera that will focus with a fingertip of the holding hand and produce great results. You will know immediately if there is a problem with a tight focus lever. If it is broken off, it was too gummed up. If it moves with more than fingertip pressure, it may be getting gummed up. Of course, using it helps free it up whatever. SLRs are nice and give options. However, some users compose more easily looking at the image formed on the ground glass of a waist level finder than they do looking through a prism. Also to be considered is whether or not you like the square format over the rectangular. If you are going to be cropping the 6x6 Autocord images down to fit on 8x10 or 11x14 paper you might as well have the 6x4.5 Bronica. On the other hand, an 11x11 image is quite nice.</p>

<p>Thanks all,<br>

Your advices have been very helpful. I have finally decided to go with the Minolta Autocord because 1. I am looking for a complete system without interchangeable lens and other things 2. I got a deal for 75 Euros of a good working piece. 3. The lens with the Portra 160 film is just what I am looking for. <br>

Can you let me know how much does a normal CLA take? Is there a fixed cost for these things thx. <br>

Best regards,<br>

Azaan</p>