Sometimes you find that holy grail

mjferron

<p>Just read an article on stand development using Tmax developer and decided I need to try this.</p>

<p>The film Foma 200 Creative</p>

<p>The juice? Tmax developer 6ml added to 300ml water. Time one hour. 68 degrees F agitation 30 up front and 30 at 1/2 hour.</p>

<p>Camera Olympus RC. Conditions, Bright overcast, exposure 1/125 F5.6</p>

<p>The result? Once in a while you get to smile. I 'do need to try this again.</p>

<div>00dEx4-556330784.jpg.c36d1b926c239b28155d3a02b033a626.jpg</div>

<p>I just tried this method after reading this post! I feel liberated and re-energized.<br>

The film is Kentmere 100, developer is Rodinal and fix is Agfa ordinary. 6mm of dev and 600mm of (straight from the tap) water, left for an hour with 2 slow inversions at 30 mins and that was it. Camera was Nikon F with 50/1.4 (pre-AI)<br>

I am amazed and delighted at the results and want to Thank you, Michael for the heads-up.<br>

I don't have a scanner or Photoshop and have not been happy taking a digital image of the negative and reversing the colours in Paint...you seem to lose everything of value, so I'm open to ideas for a better way to get a digital result from these images. Any thoughts appreciated.<br>

Andy.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Everyone seems to talk about Rodinal with stand or semi-stand development but I have found it to be a disaster because of bromide drag when I used it to tame the contrast of CMS 20 II.</p>

<p>So I used HC110(G) for 8 minutes and 16 minutes with semi-stand. No bromide drag but a problem from over agitation in smooth sky areas. My final attempt will probably be at ISO 8, 13 minutes semi-stand and less agitation than for my 16 minute attempt.</p>

<p>I think the results with Tmax developer would be similar to HC110 because both developers are more viscous than Rodinal - that's just a guess on my part.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I use Pyrocat HD and brush develop in trays by the old fashioned green safelight. This holds highlights very well. Pyrocat HD is known for holding highlights that blow out with too many other developers. Learned this developing method from an Uncle who has been doing it for a number of years. He is where I got the 8x10 bug.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Just processed another film and by accident used the Rodinal at 1:200 dilution---- 3mm in 600ml. Worrying about the weak dilution I left it for 1 hr 45 mins and inverted it (slowly, and with a gentle tap) at 40 and 80 minutes and it's come out really well.<br>

Well, from my usual casual standpoint, it's come out really well; nice contrast and so on.</p>