A Passion to do better

<p>I am 45 years old now, although I like photography since I was very young, I have never been more sure of the passion I have for photography as I do at this time in my life. I worked most of my life though, in the Computer Systems industry. Photography has remained for most of this time a hubby. Just in the last two years or so I converted it to business. I do have very good professional equipment accumulated. Although still in the beginning, I personally know I have many shortcomings I will need to overcome if I want to be successful. I never had formal academic training in the visual arts , but just self learning through books, internet, and practice. Second; I have a hard time being a people's person,</p>

<p>Many have advised before that one of the best ways to learn, is to work for someone that has the experience, even if it is free or for little money. Learn from them. I live in South Florida. I would love to do this, but having a hard time knowing how to connect in this business. I am still discovering my unique style and making sure it is likeable , I am working towards this goal. I still work in my regular job which provide the means for the family, but my goal is to slowing transition and make the switch when the time is right.</p>

<p>Any advice on notes above would be greatly appreciated . If that advise comes from South Florida Photographers, even better but all is welcome.</p>

<p>thank you in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You might consider joining a local photography club, participating in a photography tour service (assuming there are some in your area), or contacting Disney in Orlando...they do a lot of onsite tourist photography.</p>

Photography, being a business, means learning as much about business as anything else. I suggest a search in the Business Forum for material on how to make a go of it financially. You have the equipment and the desire. The need for learning or training in small business, promotion and location are critical. To my mind that pays off wherever you are located. If there is one or more professional organizations, join as an associate and pick brains. It is not a simple task especially in some markets.

<p>If you're looking to do wedding/portrait business, join the local PPA chapter. If your interest is more editorial/commercial/advertising join the local ASMP chapter. Find the local professinoal shop and see if the have a bulletin board where there might be people looking for assistants or assistants seeking work. Or just get to know the people there because they know working professionals in the area.<br /><br />If your goal is to get into the business, I wouldn't bother with photography clubs since their cater to amateurs (good amateurs, perhahps, but not people trying to make a living). And places like Disney generally do not hire photographers -- they hire people off the street and teach them how to operate a camera.</p>

Second; I have a hard time being a people's person,

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

What do you mean. I do not understand this people person from your standpoint. To earn a living at photography you must have dealings with people or have someone who likes to have dealings with people. If this is like it sounds, I think full time professional photographer may be out of reach. I gave it a shot and I am people's person whatever that means...I let it go, because it crushed my er passion...but not for good thankfully. People who pay for photos can be difficult. Think hard before you invest time, what you have that is most important, and think hard. I wish you the best in a tough business. Nowadays, realtors do their own pictures, and it is getting tougher. So you need a kind of drive and people skills that will test you. But give it a shot if you desire, because noone can dissuade you except yourself. And certainly invest in at least a couple workshops....they will help you no matter what. No photo clubs. Mix with pros and hear their stories. Many ways to learn. Wise words up above by others here. Heed them. Read the past threads on subject, there are tons along those lines, from here to Timbuktoo, Timbuktoo not so great these days of course... Are you willing to relocate to a better business place though....Some have. How much savings have you got to fall back on...that kind of yucky stuff..Keep the passion. It will give you satisfaction even if a part time thing with a few bucks for a budget wedding now and then. But be professional in what you specialize in. Aloha my friend. What do all the cruise ships do for their photo shots?

<p>You need to become a good salesman - professional and business oriented, and yes that will mean being a people person. You don't have to be a "smarmy salesman type", but you need to be pleasant, accommodating and understanding and ooze confidence, and of course you have to be able to deliver. Good budgeting, accounting and presentation skills are very important. You need business acumen. In many ways, the photography skills are not the difficult part. "First learn marketing and only then buy a camera" is a saying I have heard many times. </p>
Robin Smith

<p>There are photography jobs that require no selling beyond what is necessary to get any job. They are not freelance jobs. They do exist, although it's a shrinking market.</p>

<p>What is far more necessary now than sales skills are social networking skills. Almost all my jobs come through Facebook, either people who see my photos on their friends' pages or me seeing people who appear to need a photographer. This requires a lot of time on social media and a lot of time getting people with large followings to post your photos. Selling "door to door" isn't happening much, most people don't want to spend time with someone selling them, they'd rather use someone their friends/colleagues used. </p>

<p>I know of a very successful photographer who is an alcoholic, not very sociable and lacks social skills. However, he is terrific. His work speaks for itself and many would work with this old dog because of the quality of his work. Your social skills does not sound anywhere near as extreme as the chap I am referring to. If you can afford to, hire an assistant to do as much of the interaction as possible. Also, having a second person with you could allow you to have more confident in your dealing with people.<br>

In UK many young and aspiring photographers do either free or pittance pay second shooting jobs for wedding photographers. I am not sure if that is an option for you. It would certainly allow you to face people but without having to have too much direct interaction. It would also be a way of seeing how a pro interacts with their clients.</p>

<p>Although I currently work in a related field (television), I've also been taking on more still work. Here's the recipe I've been following: First, target which types of jobs you want to do (events, interiors, food, headshots, etc.). Then, gear-up to be able to accommodate those specific types of shoots (since your gear complement can vary greatly among different types of jobs). Either develop a direct-marketing plan, or identify and contact the people that can find you work. Here's the most important part in my opinion: Try to do one gig for free in every type of shoot in which you plan to shoot for money (but shoot it like you're getting paid top-dollar). If you're successful, charge full-rate for the next one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>alcoholic, not very sociable and lacks social skills.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps the success came before the other problems? Once you have the portfolio you are in a much better position, but when starting out I think we could agree it is better to not have these personality traits.</p>

Robin Smith

<blockquote>

<p>alcoholic, not very sociable and lacks social skills.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For a moment, I thought this might be referring to Vincent Van Gogh! LOL.<br>

<br>

Don't recommend his level of drinking or anti-social behavior but it didn't stop him from being an artistic genius. As a matter of fact, many attribute some degree of his creativity and artistic bent to his regular drinking, and though there are many cases of mythologizing an artist's drinking, I'm not sure that's so with Van Gogh.<br>

<br>

He was a success in some ways in that he was able to put together important and influential exhibitions, though they were ill-received by critics who didn't have the capability or artistic language yet to accept him.<br>

<br>

He was not a financial success, for sure, and that was due to a variety of factors including his drinking and the fact that his work was ahead of his audience.<br>

<br>

The description just sounded so familiar about one of the greats of all times. Ironic!</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Fred,</p>

<p>Agree. But he was not a commercially successful artist - he never sold a painting. We are not really talking about genius or talent, we are talking commercial success. There is some relation, but it's not a strong one.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Robin, if you read what I wrote, I clearly said and already knew he was not a financial success and thought I was clear that I wasn't making a direct or even an indirect analogy. I started by recommending against adopting his practices, as a matter of fact, if one wanted to be commercially successful. I posted for the irony of it, not the applicability of it. Notice the LOL in my first line. It was meant lightheartedly.</p>

<p> </p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I am never upset. Just reiterating the obvious difference between commercial and artistic success. Some high flyers in photography are weird and wonderful, but the exception rather than the rule. Admittedly, if you have an appealing "artistic temperament" other creative types may make allowances. The trouble is when you are dealing with corporations and other more buttoned up types.</p>
Robin Smith