VERY Poorly packed expensive camera from B&H

Another thing I have thought about is asking them if I keep the camera (assuming it's in working order) if

they'd rebate a percentage of the cost of it. I don't think they'd do that with just photos as evidence though,

and judging by Ken's comment "you never know when some concealed damage is going to rear its ugly

head" might not be a good idea anyway, even with a warranty.

If I return should I repack it properly in a different box and email them these photos if they ask? If I just

stick it back in the box it came in with no additional support it probably wouldn't get to them in one piece, if

at all.

<blockquote>

<p>If I return should I repack it properly in a different box and email them these photos if they ask? If I just stick it back in the box it came in with no additional support it probably wouldn't get to them in one piece, if at all.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I found the order number and have escalated this to a customer satisfaction manager. You don't need to email me. If you elect to return it (and I see return authorization and a pre-paid UPS label have already been emailed) you should pack it so we get it back. As much as we're committed to your satisfaction we have to get the return back here for an exchange or refund.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

Henry may have made his last offer, which is probably the best that can be expected and what he could

do. I'd prefer 2 or 3 hundred dollars off the purchase price if I keep it, but that hasn't been

offered. I do have some time to decide and test the camera if I want to, but a 30 day return policy seems a

double edged sword for the customer. Same for most any other dealer as with B&H. It's great that a return

is available, but how many items are returned after people try them out and then get sold again as

new? Not saying this is the case here, there's no way to really know. I suppose there's no perfect system.

<p>>>> It's great that a return is available, but how many items are returned after people try them out and then get sold again as new? Not saying this is the case here, there's no way to really know. I suppose there's no perfect system.</p>

<p>If I remember correctly, Henry has stated several times on photonet that that does not happen. I believe him.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

A large part of the problem with shipping ANY packages is how they are handled at the sorting centers by the shippers. Packages are now largely sorted by high speed automated systems. These systems do not read FRAGILE labels, all packages are handled the same. The problem occurs when these packages descend down chutes in their path to a lower level in the sort facilities. The chutes often get inadvertently clogged with packages, then jammed tight before someone can shut the system down. At the bottom of these chutes the packages land on the next conveyor belt, sometimes with a nice drop. Interesting to watch a large heavy package land on top of small one... Yes, a bit of "Insider Information" here from someone who worked on the engineering of one of these sort facilities.

Moral of this rather technical (= boring?) story: Double pack ALL fragile items with the outer box functioning as a sacrificial layer.

I sure would not be comfortable accepting a camera transported as pictured Ray. You are unlucky enough to have a bad luck series with Leica GMBH cameras. Himmelherrgottcrutzmillionendonnerwetter! (longest cuss word I kind of know of Ray - :-)),. Yeah, so return it and take the gift certificate, of course ask for priority replacement . I think that is the likeliest compensation one can achieve in the good old marketplace. I trust B and H and sometimes am pleased with the carriers..depends a lot on season and personnel. Let us know what happens. Good luck. (You may need it..).aloha. -g-

<blockquote>

<p>Henry may have made his last offer, which is probably the best that can be expected and what he could do. I'd prefer 2 or 3 hundred dollars off the purchase price if I keep it, but that hasn't been offered.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Look for my email.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...it it is the response like Henry's and his understanding that has made me a lifelong B&H customer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you. I am very honored.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

• 4 months later...