shutter and mirror replacement cost for D700

mihut_ionescu

<p>I dropped my D700, it can still focus, but it no longer takes a picture. It's either the shutter or the mirror I guess. I took it to the Nikon service in Romania and they asked for over $600 for work and replacement of shutter, mirror and other parts. I'm not even sure that this is the right price or that all those parts need to be replaced. I'm going to take the camera in a few days to the Nikon service in Switzerland for a quote. If all those parts need to be replaced, what would be the actual price I should expect to pay total for this repair in the US (since I also have the option to take it there)?</p>

<p>A used D700 is well below $1000 nowadays. Since yours is dropped and the impact damage is serious enough that is no longer takes pictures, I would probably not repair it. You can replace the shutter or whatever, but structurally, it is unlikely to be the same any more. If your repair cost is as high as $600, you maybe better off getting something else. You may get some money selling the damaged camera as parts.</p>

<p>BTW, if you earn your money in Europe and you decide to repair it regardless, given the high US$, not sure it is a good idea to get it repaired in the US.</p>

<p> I'd consider whether this was nature's way of telling you it is time to upgrade.</p>

<p>On the other hand, yours was used even before it was dropped, and you can probably buy a "pre-owned" one in good shape for less than that repair estimate, although shipping and customs can, as noted, be a problem.</p>

<p>I have actually been looking at used D700 prices this week. I'm in Portland, OR. The local pro camera shop has a used D700 just under $1000 (rough) and a couple just above $1000. KEH runs from $730 for a BGN and $1100 for EX.</p>

<p>On Craigslist, I can find several very nice looking examples between $800 to $1000. You might think those prices should be lower by this point ;) </p>

<p>Personally, I am hoping that the new Nikon FX push eventually gets more D700s on the used market. I am looking to pick a D700 up once the price drops to around $500. Who knows when that will be :)</p>

<p>Last time I checked the bill for shutter replacement was below $400 (here in US), but you may have more issues besides the shutter; therefore, you may be looking at larger repair bill. You do, indeed, need an accurate repair assessment....whether this whole excersize is worth pursuing.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Leszek, thanks for addressing my question ;)! Nikon Romania would like to charge $110 for the complete rubber kit for the D700, which is a $38 package on Amazon! If all other parts are triple the price as this one, then you can imagine how they got to the $650 total cost. I'll be taking this to Nikon Switzerland as well because I think the parts are overpriced and I think they're trying to replace more then it's necessary.</p>

<p>I recently sold my perfectly good (42,000 actuations) D700 for US $650.</p>

<p>There has to be some worthy D700 bodies out there avail. around this price. As others have stated, you are taking a bet that it's only a damaged shutter and / or mirror that you are likely to be dealing with. </p>

<p>The D700 is a robust body, I'm thinking it takes a considerable impact to damage it's mechanical functioning let alone what damage may have ensued to the electronics.</p>

<p>Comparing the cost of a used D700 in the United States to repair costs in Romania, or Switzerland is comparing apples to oranges. The question is what will a used D700 in good condition cost you in Romania, or Switzerland and imported to Romania, compared to repairing your D700. And can you trust the repair by Nikon in Romania or Switzerland.</p>

<p>There may be some differences between prices in Romania and in the US, for both used or repair cost, but the difference cannot be that much, as the OP clearly has the option to get the item repaired in a different country or purchase one and get it shipped over.</p>

<p>I once had my D700 with a 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S attached set up on a tripod to my eye level, which is close to 6". A strong gust of wind blew the while thing over and my D700 hit hard rock. There is now a dent on the side but the D700 continued to work fine ever since, and that was over 5 years ago. Clearly how and where it suffers the impact can make a difference, but the D700 is a tough camera. The OP really needs to find out whether his D700 is worthwhile to fix, or he can potentially spend a few hundred dollars and still has a somewhat defective camera, adding insult to injury.</p>

<p>Your options area few<br>

1-repair it in romania. I like u, feel the price is more than it should be. </p>

<p>2-take it to another repair place in switzerland and get an estimate. I think theyd be more truthful regarding actual costs. I have a feelibg nikon romania saw ur dire situation and wants to take advantage of it thinking u have no convenient choice</p>

<p>3-after u get a proper repair estimate from nikon swiss call us repair places and shop for prices. </p>

<p>4-sell it for parts and add some bucks and get a used one. </p>

<p>Personally id do number 2 first and if the price is high, id try 3 and if that was high as well, do 4. But hell no would I do 1. Btw u will probably have to goto customs to get an export authrization paper so ehen u bring it back into the country u dont get hitfor customs fees. Make a copy and add a copy to the outside of the box and inside and write export papers( lens for repair only). </p>

<p>I went through this with repairing my 28-70 afs. I bought the lens from an ebayer who lied regarding the condition of the motor. Nikon n in my country tried to rape me with their crazy repair price. Nikon us melville would take close to two months and other there quoted me high prices. <br>

I saw an article regardin this repair guy in taiwan. Contacted him. Very happy with his work. Not sure he does cameras though. Maybe contact him and ask. Doesnt cost anything. <br>

I sent it to nrc i. Taiwan. To him and back in 3 weeks. Price to repair was very fair. Couldnt be happier. </p>

<p><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00caj0">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00caj0</a></p>

<p>thats me</p>

<p>In Europe repairs and camera's are typically more expensive than they are in the US. Since I recently have been looking for a 2nd hand D700/D3 I know prices for a second hand D700 go from around 750 to 1000 €. Depending on the state, age and wether it comes with a grip or not and other accessories are part of it. <br>

So it seems that you are on or near the tipping point to get a new second hand instead of the repair.</p>