Nikon D3s EN-El4a Showing Battery Life of 3

ianbarber

<p>I have 2 EN-EL4a batteries for my Nikon D3s which I purchased at the same time as the camera when it was launched.</p>

<p>According to the battery info in the menus, both have now reached level 3 for the life.</p>

<p>How critical is this and are they about to die on me ?</p>

<p>Nikon introduced the D3S in October 2009. If you have any Lithium-ion batteries that are over 3, 4 years old, their ability to hold charge could be seriously reduced. The exact amount of decay depends on your actual usage pattern.</p>

<p>Your batteries are probably still useable, but if you use your D3S for extended periods before you get to recharge your batteries, it is probably a good idea to buy one more battery so that you have three of them to rotate around, and at least 1 of the 3 is fairly new.</p>

<p>Please keep in mind that the D4 uses a different type of battery. The EN-EL4/EN-EL4a are only compatible with the D2 and D3 families, plus the MB-D10 grip for the D300 and D700. Needless to say, all of those are old cameras so that there is not much future for the EN-EL4a. Once you retire your D3S, those batteries won't be very useful. I wouldn't stock up with too many of those batteries.</p>

<p>Do you have an extra battery or two? If you don't you should.</p>

<p>There is no way of knowing how long a battery will last. I still have my D3 and the 3 batteries I use are older than yours. And in spite of the battery meter's life indication, I am still able to take thousands of pictures on a charge. But I always have backups with me just in case.<br>

<br /> Use what you have until it/they will no longer hold or a charge or allow you to take a reasonable number of images.</p>

<p>I have a D7000, and have been using only the original battery since new in early 2011(?). I have always carried a backup camera instead of a backup battery. For a few years I used a D100 with a battery back with 2 Radio Shack batteries I found in a store at a very low clearance price. I never had any trouble with those batteries. After my D100 gave up, I picked up a used low mileage D200, and recently picked up an Insten brand En-El3e battery. I haven't cycled it more than twice yet, it seems to work fine. I just wish the D100 to D200 didn't jump from the En-el3 to En-el3e batteries. </p>

<p><em>What are your thoughts on the 3rd party batteries ?</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

I've had v. good results with Wasabi. I used it on D700 and D610 and no issues. I did get one from Adorama (their brand) once....and it was added to my purchase w/o additional cost....it went South v. quickly...to the point where I couldn't count on it. <em><br /></em></p>

<p>Les<br>

<em> </em></p>

<p>i bought hähnel batteries for the d3 series and was dissapointed.<br /> would only make 500 shots.<br /> went back to the store once, twice, threw them away</p>

<p>might have been bad luck, but my onley experience with 3rd party batteries.<br /> i stick with nikon.</p>

<p>edit:<br>

i got one nikon battery lvl 3 and one on lvl 4 as ...idk..backup of the backup.<br>

usually the 4 would uncharge quite quickly.<br>

lvl 3 is capabable of shooting around 2k images.</p>

<p>I've had good use out of 3rd party batteries. I only had one genuine Nikon En-EL3e on the D700, alongside 4 3rd party ones, and never had a battery problem. For the D800 I now have a "BluMax" EN-EL15 replacement that I rotate with two genuine Nikon EN-EL15s. They all provide a similar shooting time and have been working OK for around 3 years now. The Blumax doesn't hold its shot-count when the camera is turned off, but I never use that facility anyway.</p>

<p>It depends in what part of the world you live, whether 3rd party batteries provide better value for money. Here in the UK the price for genuine Nikon batteries is ridiculously high, and it makes economic sense to go off-brand, since you can buy 3 or 4 non Nikon batteries for the price of one genuine article. And since Nikon don't even warranty their batteries, they can stick 'em where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned.</p>

<p>As an afterthought I would echo Norbert's experience of the Hahnel brand. Some years ago I bought several sets of Hahnel AA size NiMH rechargeable cells, and they were useless and didn't have half the stated capacity. I also got replacements from the retailer after a few weeks use, which were just as bad. I have never used that brand again for anything. Supposedly German engineering - Pah!</p>