As Original as it Gets

<p>It consists of a Canon AL-1 SLR with Canon A2 winder, a Tamron 70-210 f/3.8-4 zoom, and a 135mm CPC f/2.8 prime lens. The whole outfit looks practically unused, and was packed in the original shopping bag, with various purchase documents. Now <em>that</em> has to be a little unusual.... It was apparently bought from the National Camera Exchange in Roseville, Minneapolis in 1985; their bag bears the slogan "Since 1914" and I'm wondering if any of you US members know if the company celebrated their centenary? My acquaintance is unable to supply me with any historical information as both his in-laws are now deceased, but his wife recalls that her parents took a trip to the US in the mid-'80's and presumably the camera was bought then. It all looks as if it's very rarely been out of the bag.</p>

<p>The AL-1 was Canon's intermediate FD camera between the age of manual focus and the world of autofocus, when the cumbersome T-80 appeared and quickly disappeared when Canon ushered in the EOS/EF technology, rendering the FD line obsolete, overnight. The AL-1 has "Focus Assist", using a partially-slivered mirror to deflect some of the light from the lens to a contrast-detection system that operates a display in the viewfinder. There are a couple of red illuminated arrows indicating which way the focus ring on the lens should be turned and a green spot that illuminates when focus is achieved. The system is a little obtrusive but quite quick and accurate, but has limitations, particularly in low light. The system didn't really find favour with the public and the camera had a short production run spanning 1982-85, though users with eyesight issues found the system handy. I might create a longer post featuring the Al-1, but it's kind of borderline for CMC, perhaps?</p><div>00cvX0-552201384.jpg.96edef65f91efe2c5de6622627a5d4a6.jpg</div>

<p>The CPC 135mm f/2.8 lens was a mystery to me. I've never come across this brand before, and it would seem that neither have many other photographers, judging from the lack of information on the internet. A further complication was the "CCT" letters, which caused some speculation that the lens was intended for a surveillance camera. However, much digging around has established that the lens was made in Korea, and is identical with others branded Helios MC Automatic, Revuenon Auto-Revuenon, and Practica 135/2.8. There's a theory that the lens was originally created for the Practica B system using the original Meyer Orestor formula but with 6 aperture blades instead of 15, and was subsequently marketed under a variety of other brands. Samyang is suggested as the manufacturer, and CCT was apparently to indicate "Computer Controlled Technology"... CPC was a US company (full name Combined Products Corporation), based in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. They were importers and re-branders of photographic products; the fake gold Japanese inspection sticker on the lens reads "quality PASSED c.p.c". The 55mm Canon FD f/1.8 lens fitted to the camera bears a CPC UV filter, a rather cheap item made in Japan. I haven't had a chance to put the 135mm lens through it's paces, but I'm not expecting wonders, though the build quality is very good.</p>

<p>The other lens is the great old Tamron Model 46A, the last of Tamrons best-selling 70-210 f/3.8-4 zooms. Always a delight to use, I tested it with a Canon 5D this morning and it turned in the usual contrasty, sharp and colourful results. I attach a couple of samples; for the Tamron aficionados I (hopefully) have a rare and interesting Tamron on it's way to me, but more of that in a future post.</p><div>00cvX1-552201484.jpg.6b772168cad95079e0617ea634b71b06.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Rick,</p>

<p>I am very familiar with National Camera Exchange here in Minneapolis. It's a great place. They<br>

usually have a "tent sale" every August. Lots of old stuff and new stuff at great prices. They<br>

also have the Shutterbug room at their main store where they have a ton of old stuff at<br>

reasonable prices. Not many of the old camera stores survived the digital and big box age is<br>

one of them and seem to be doing well.</p>

<p>Rod</p>

<p>Rick,</p>

<p>Interesting acquisition. I always like to see the continuation of ownership from one party to another where there is some connection. While you didn't know the original owner I am sure his family will like that this camera is still put to use.</p>

<p>National Camera Exchange has a website with an about page.</p>

<p>http://www.natcam.com/about-us</p>

<p>I think I might have one of their catalogs.</p>

<p>Personally, I am interested in these bridge cameras. I like to see where the manufacture is going with their design and how they got there.</p>

<p>I used to frequent their main store in Golden Valley MN years ago; bought a few of my vintage Topcor lenses there and their prices were reasonable. They had glass counter cases full of really neat gear back in the day, and still have an OK selection of darkroom stuff. I live west of them in Excelsior now, so still not to far of a trip, probably 20 miles or so. IIRC, there is a case of neat historical cameras near the entrance.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Gordon</strong>; I'd come across the Dimitrov page, but not the Keppler article. It would seem that CPC operated rather like Ponder and Best with Vivitar, or the Allied Impex Corporation with Soligor, importing products re-branded with the CPC name. I have no idea how large the operation was, though Keppler finds them "reputable".</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. <strong>John</strong>, thanks for the polite choice of the word "persistent"; a more accurate expression might be "obsessive"...Nice to know that the National Camera Exchange is alive and well, <strong>Dennis</strong>, and that they still supply film and processing odds and ends. And thank you <strong>SP</strong>, <strong>JDM</strong> and <strong>Mike</strong> for your comments. I ,too, find the AL-1 a pleasant camera to use, but all that era of Canon SLR's were good users.</p>

<p>Many thanks, <strong>Marc</strong>. I'd come across the Pentax/Cosmicar/CPC Phase 2 scenario, and these results certainly show that this line were fine lenses. I suspect the 135mm f/2.8 I featured is a lesser breed, much more generic and definitely of Korean origin. Interesting, also, in that up until a fortnight ago I don't recall ever having encountered the "CPC" brand! They were obviously quite significant players in the market, at some stage, despite a low profile and lack of advertising.</p>