How do you handle it? (Photographing kids.)

scooter0071

<p>Bill, Duct tape comes to mind. :-) Seriously, even <a href="/photo/9777397&size=lg">normally cooperative kids</a> can give you heartburn. Michael's approach works if you can be happy with candids but formals call for more psychology skills than I have. You could let THEM take the photo (set camera up on a sturdy tripod & set the self timer) by tripping the shutter & running back to a predesignated spot. In other words, involve them, make a game of it. Hmm, I just made that up. Maybe I'll try it some time. :-) Best, LM.</p>

Study some child psychology. Figure out how to get them involved by taking a look through the camera or maybe even

taking a couple of pix of the rest of the family, and while looking at the preview say something like " these look great but I

think something is missing from the photos . What do you think that is? Could it be <I> you</I>?"

<p>I found my two older children got fed up with me photographing them until number three child turned up a few years later. They were so taken with the new arrival they forgot to go grumpy when the camera appeared. An extreme solution, I know, but family photography does take dedication and commitment.</p>

<p>"just does not want to be in the photo"</p>

<p>Well, why not simply respect the wish of the child. In the other cases: use prefocussing and a moderate wideangle or standard lens, take as many shots as possible to get one or two reasonable looking, attract the childs attention</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I reschedule! It is not worth the aggravation of everyone involved, not to mention the risk of injury or damaged

equipment. I try to be reasonable and understanding but I'm also clear that I'm not a circus leader or entertainer. It is one

thing when dealing with an infant or unsure 1 year old, there is a certain amount of cajoling to go along with the territory. If

however parents bring wild and bouncing off the wall children I usually suggest a short break. Go for a walk let the kids

run outside, we can regroup and have fresh start. If the attempt is unsuccessful then I suggest rescheduling and try to

work on a time that the child/children are happiest and cooperative, typically not near a nap time! It has actually never

been a problem and usually parents are happy to be off the hook for the day!