Whitehouse Beacon Two Twenty Five.

<p>Going simple this time and using a camera that is probably very familiar to those in the US, but somewhat scarce downunder.<br>

According to my McKeowns, the Beacon was made from 1950 to 1958....not a bad model run, by Whitehouse Products of Brooklyn and not by the President in his spare time.<br>

I like the Beacon, nicely made with a touch of Art Deco, and a neat folding system. Shutter speeds are restricted to time and instant...what else do you need, and there is even a setting for the IQ of the user, ie...dull or bright...and I switched it straight to bright!<br>

The lens is a coated doublet, it says so on the front, so you would expect it to perform better than a Brownie....which it does, just slightly. Uses Brownie film too, so I had to re roll some Tri-X onto a 620 spool before I could use it. So here is the camera and a couple of pics.</p><div>00d6Xs-554591684.jpg.e44561ecdbb6e6323c292218a3d1e3af.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for looking. Really enjoyed the Beacon, slips well into a generous pocket when folded, and the images are just a smidgen away from being sharp, but quite satisfactory given the neg size. What's more you can improve your intelligence at the flick of a switch!<br>

Film was Tri-X in Pyrocat HD, scanned on Epsom V700.</p>

<p>I can't say the Beacon is overly abundant here in the US. At least I haven't seen one in while<br>

scrounging around for old cameras. Maybe in other parts of the country though.</p>

<p>I also like the Art Deco look. Very cool. Great photos too. Even a cheap camera can do very<br>

well in capable hands.</p>

<p>Well, I'll have to say that the Beacon performed much better than I would have anticipated, and I suspect the skill of the operator had some bearing on that... Nice work <strong>Tony</strong>, I've seen examples of the Beacon on our local auctions, but never one in the flesh. Just love these "cameras of the people", and it's great that we can discuss and demonstrate them on this Forum. Keep up the good work!</p>

<p>I always considered the Beacon to be a creepie cheepie. You brought out the best in that beast. Great work. I too like that deco look. I will always remember fondly the Bantam Special I picked up for a song at a flea market. If only it took 35mm. That bantam stuff became harder and harder to get, and eventually, I didn't want to keep a shelf sitter that I could turn to profit.</p>

<p>Thanks all for the comments! Cory, going by the ad that JDM has provided, the shutter speed is 1/50th and the aperture is F12...kind of what you would expect.<br>

The lens, at 70mm, is a touch wide, and as you say is a bit soft around the edges....as well as vignetting a bit. The quality is one step up from a Brownie though.<br>

BTW, my McKeowns priced it at around $1.00....I paid way over the odds at $10.00!</p>

• 2 weeks later...