24K Gold Nikon Df, over $40,000

ShunCheung

<p>Luke: But surely you can just shoot everything with a 14-24 and then use digital zoom? :-)<br />

<br />

But yes, you're right. Although I'm now going to be unable to use my 14-24 without thinking of the integrated hood as a foreskin. And unlike most lenses, I'll have the strange urge to zoom in when the weather's cold. The blog posts about removing the hood from DX fish-eye lenses to make them FX-friendly suddenly make me want to cross my legs.<br />

<br />

Well, that lowered the tone. Although not necessarily more than this camera did in the first place.<br />

<br />

I'm planning on being resolutely out this evening, since I find few things more horrifying than small children at the best of times.</p>

<p>I was trying to figure who might be the typical buyer of these cameras, and the only profile I can come up with is that guy filling up his Ferrari at the gas station and nobody appears to be looking but the driver knows full well what everyone's thinking, and he'd be wrong. </p>

<p>Michael: I like the imagery, although since I'm based very near the main UK Ferrari repair centre, I'm obliged to point out that at least some Ferraris actually have merits. Perhaps a classic Ferrari owner might be more comparable to someone currently suggesting that a D2h is a currently viable sports camera. Not that anyone would do that, of course. (Rolls eyes.)<br />

<br />

Now, a friend of mine who always cycled to work but who (as I found out when seeing him at a car park) had a rare Marcos - which he contrived to allow to rot, and managed to crash on a roundabout - <i>he</i> might be tempted. If he wasn't wedded to his E1 when I last saw him. (He's actually very reasonable, but the car was particularly preposterous, and what happened to it is karma for him reading wreckedexotics.com.)</p>