UK internal flight with IR film

<p>Hi<br>

I know this is a common question but I dont know what to do for the best and wondered if anybody (ideally UK based photographers) has flown internally and what their experience was like with the security and xrays?<br>

I'm flying from London to Inverness to shoot mainly IR in the Highlands of Scotland. I know that going through security I need to put the films in my hand luggage, NOT THE SUITCASE! But now Im wondering if I should have the film sent to the Landlord of the place Im staying at (if hes OK with that), shoot it, and then post it back to myself before I fly back thus avoiding Customs completely. I assume it will be driven on the land back down South and wont be flown back to London and still go through Customs anyway!?<br>

Im fretting a bit as I would be heartbroken if there is damage to the films. I have never gone through Customs with IR film before. Im using Efke 820IR, EIR (expired 2007) and Aerochrome.<br>

Any ideas ladies and gents?</p>

<p>Since the independence vote failed, you probably won't encounter any customs inspection, but you will encounter security inspections. If you get to the airport early enough, perhaps they will allow visual inspection rather than the X-ray. You might even call them to find out what they will do if you ask.<br>

I've shot a fair amount of infrared in the old days, but confess that I don't know if it is more sensitive to X-ray than other films.</p>

<p>The Electromagnetic spectrum:</p>

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum</p>

<p>would suggest that IR film should be less susceptible to x-ray damage than normal film; its sensitivity is farther from the x-ray energy than panchromatic film. </p>

<p>But that is just "suggested"; the only way to know is try it.</p>

<p>By the way, there is no guarantee that shipped packages will not be subjected to x-ray examination.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Brooks's reasoning would be correct if IR films were only sensitive to IR. In fact, all IR films respond to the visible spectrum as well. For IR use, the visible light response is removed by using filters to take out the shorter wavelengths.</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd probably just put the film in my carry-on. Also, you could probably find some sort of forum where people shoot infrared and ask there (flickr?). </p>

<p>As far as I know, IR films are more X-ray sensitive. <br>

TSA (in the US) will hand inspect film if you ask, though they suggest that you should only ask for ISO 800 and above. They have always been nice about it when I asked (nicely), even for less than 800. (I usually use Diafine, so I usually ask even for less than 800.) (Usually they use the mass spectrometer test on it.)<br>

You should ask about their policy, but I believe in most countries it is usual to hand inspect film if asked. <br>

(I remember stories from 30 years ago that the USSR had non-filmsafe X-ray machines, and no hand inspection, but even those might have been wrong.)</p>

-- glen

<p>I can't talk about proper IR film, but for several years I've put films in my suitcase without any problems. And that includes D3200 and Ilford SFX partial IR film. In the UK and Spain, and presumably the rest of Europe, you will not be granted a hand inspection for hand luggage. That went out years ago.</p>

<p>Hope this helps</p>

<p>Alan</p>

• 3 months later...