Film layer peeled off on one of two reels in tank

<p>Hello all,<br>

I've been processing B+W films on and off over the past 15 years.<br>

<br /> I just developed 2 rolls of Fuji Acros in Adox Rodinal ( 1+100 ) and for the first time used Sprint rapid fixer ( 2:8 ) and Sprinter Fixer Remover (1:9). I didn't use a stop<br>

bath and my times are as follows :</p>

<p>18 mins for Developer, r<br>

Wash for 3 mins<br>

Fixer - 4 mins<br>

Fixer Remover - 3 mins<br>

photoflo 3 mins<br>

<br />The top reel in the tank was gone .. not one negative came out developed, or so I thought until I saw a little blob of crinkled film layer. The second film had <br>

absolutely no issues and is drying at the moment.<br>

<br />Could some one please tell me what I did wrong ? My dilutions were as per instructions. I am just flabbergasted that the the film peeled off the top<br>

reel.<br>

<br />Thank you for any insight ! Truly appreciate it ! </p>

<p>Regards, Govi</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is anything visible on the roll? Edge markings? If nothing is there, it seems like it could only be some film issue as mentioned. If the markings are there, film was not being exposed in the camera, likely from a loading error. Was the leader showing exposure?</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />The top reel in the tank was gone .. not one negative came out developed</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is a reach but.. Since only the top reel was affected, perhaps you did not use a large enough volume of developer; the developer solution never wet the top roll. You did use enough fix. The effect would be a clear roll of film - the fix would remove all the undeveloped portions of the film.</p>

<p>The 1 + 100 ratio would suggest you used stand development so insufficient volume of developer is a possibility. </p>

<p>Been developing film for 40 years and I've never had emulsion peel off. The description here seems a little inconsistent -- OP says a film layer peeled off and a "little blob" of something. If the emulsion actually peeled off there would have been a huge mess in the tank and the pieces from the one roll most likely would have ended up sticking to the other roll or otherwise causing problems for it. It should have been very obvious.<br /><br />I would imagine emulsion peeling off might involve extreme temperature changes but would also probably be the result of an extreme manufacturing defect. I've never, ever heard of it happening.</p>

<p>@James Dainis. The OP wrote that the top reel came out blank with just a small area on one from developed; the bottom reel developed properly. The OP <strong>interpreted</strong> this to mean the emulsion came off the film. That is one interpretation.</p>

<p>I suggest that a different interpretation - the top roll was fixed but not developed, which would result in a clear roll of film. How could this happen if both rolls were processed at once in the same tank? One way would be an insufficient volume of developer to reach the top roll but enough to cover the bottom roll coupled with sufficient fixer to cover both rolls. The small "crinkle" on the top roll was due to a "splash" of developer.</p>

<p>This could happen in a few ways if the OP were using stand development (likely with a 1 + 100 dilution of Rodinal) and a tank like the Patterson tanks where, although the chemicals are poured in from the top, they go down a central column and fill the tank from the bottom to the top. I will make one more assumption - the developer being one shot was mixed just before processing while the fix, which is re-used, was pre-mix and in sufficient quantity to fill the tank. I have a two reel Patterson tank and have enough fix to cover two reels of 35mm or one reel of 120. When I fix, I fill the tank, and then pour the used fix back into its storage bottle.</p>

<p>1) The OP did not mix enough one shot developer to cover the top reel. However there was enough pre-mixed fix to fill the tank and cover both reels. </p>

<p>2) The OP was using a 3 or 4 reel capacity tank and failed to push the top reel to the bottom. The developer did not reach the top reel, but there was sufficient fix to fill the tank to the top.</p>

<p>I could be wrong, but I find a fix without development a more plausible explanation than, as Craig pointed out, the emulsion peeled off the film without leaving a mess in the tank and ruining the bottom roll in the process.</p>

<p>Hello All, Thank you for your comments, suggestions and opinions.<br>

All 3 - Adox Rodinal ( I have developed either HC-110 or Diafine until this past weekend ), Fixer ( sprint - new ), Fixer Remover ( Sprint - new ) -- the combination were all being used for the first time !<br>

I did not use the Stand method - instead developed 18 minutes, Across EI @ 80. Wash + Fix + Fixer Remover + PhotoFlo.<br>

I may done something wrong. Absolutely, but I don't believe there was insufficient anything in the tank. I mixed 1:100 Rodinal in one of the graduated mugs I procured from Walmart - I poured 250ml down the drain after I used up 750 ml. Filled to the brim. Unless I saw it wrong. <br>

It's a two reel Paterson tank. My trusted favorite for a long time.<br>

I think I may have inadvertently ( during the 'stop' phase, however briefly it may have been ), filled the tank with warmer water. That's the only logical solution I can come up with.<br>

Thanks again for chiming in. I truly appreciate it. <br>

Bottom line is that I fouled up. I bought a brick of the Fuji Acros 100 which has been in the freezer for a year or so - 2 of 3 have developed fine.<br>

Cheers -Govi</p><div>00d48a-554045684.thumb.jpg.6199895755dad9147ce15b7f9daf399e.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Govi,</p>

<p>Thanks for the amplification. I am at a loss to explain it.</p>

<p>Any hot water would have affected the bottom roll as well as the top roll, so that is probably not the problem. Since you agitated the developer during processing, at least some developer would have splashed on the top roll even if you under filled the tank. Even if the camera malfunctioned or was mis-loaded and there were no exposures on the film, you would see the edge marking. </p>

<p>This is a puzzler.</p>