Make mine a double

Troll

<p>We've just had an interesting thread "only one" about having one film Leica and one lens. (But nobody except Cartier-Bresson ever did that -- and sometimes he "cheated" with a 35, 85, or 90mm lens.)<br>

Now, I'd like to extend the question to what Leica would you use if you could have TWO lenses? (No digitals, please.)<br>

I'll start: Leica CL with 40mm Summicron and 90mm Elmar-C.</p>

<p>HCB also "cheated" in accomplishing his own "moment decisive" manifesto. Though I had quite pleasing results taking it literally, I was kind of offended when I saw a contact sheet wth 37 or so shots - one full roll of variations of the famous "Matisse with his doves", and he took his pic(k)... He was there, it was an exhibit in Barcelona around 2003. I was close to ask him about that incongruence, but there was one photo of his outlines, taken with the sun in his back. It was called something like "As long as I cast a shadow down here". I didn't try any approach to him out of respect.</p>

<p>Sorry, back to the thread:</p>

<p>Offroad: M2, 35mm Summicron V1; 21mm f4 SA</p>

<p>City: M6 classic 0.85, 35mm f1.2 Nokton, Zeiss ZM 25mm f2.8</p>

<p>PD I presume you are talking lenses we have, <br>

otherwise it would be a little Santa Clausish:</p>

<p>MP sterling silver 0.92, green Galapagos lizard; Noct 0.95 titanium & 21 Lux Edwin Aldrin edition, bodyguard...</p>

<p>In the middle and late 1960s I dreamt of having an M2 with just a 35mm Summicron and a 90mm Elmarit, which I thought would cover everything. All I had, of course, were an old Rolleicord and a newish Canonet. When finally I could afford a 35mm camera with interchangeable lenses I found that, in addition to the two focal lengths named, a 50mm was indispensable.</p>

<p>Quite right. The gap between wide and short tele can be too great. I suppose a 35-90 combination is adequate for work outdoors in good light: but once you move indoors the 90 loses its utility and the 35 becomes too wide for anything other than what are called environmental portraits.</p>

<p>Without doubt the CL, with its two lenses, was a good idea: a kit that was small and light but also capable. However, it was preceded by the IIIg, another Leica camera mainly for use with two lenses. It could also be argued that the first M Leica was for use chiefly with 50 and 90 lenses. I have seen many photographers using only those two lengths despite the presence of a finder frame for 135. The goggled 35s and the eventual release of the M2 are another story.</p>