D810: Is a SanDisk Extreme 64GB CF card good enough

bennett_richards

<p>If your buffer is already "overkill" for your needs, why bother about a fast card?- The only moments you feel write speed are during buffer overflow and maybe when you have to change batteries a few frames earlier, since the camera struggles longer to get stuff written, before it shuts up. - But I'd guess that fact is barely measurable.</p>

<p>For a D810, I would favor getting memory cards that are larger in capacity rather than speed. Unless you shoot sports with the D810, there is no point to get the fastest CF cards. I wouldn't get something old and slow either as 36MP RAW files are huge and you don't want it to take too long to write (and read/upload). 2nd or 3rd fastest type should be fine.</p>

<p>If you use live view on the D800, the live view wouldn't return until the image is completed written onto memory cards. Therefore, on a slow card, it can take 4, 5 seconds before the live view returns. Nikon has corrected that (minor) issue on the D810.</p>

<p>it is importzant to know, that photos are not directly written to the card.</p>

<p>test this:<br>

take a camera, for fun sake, lets say eos 1d mk3, and 2 cards, one really fast,like 120mb/s and one lets say 60mb/s.<br>

<br />take a photo. most important, shoot something that produces klarge files, lots of stuff going on.</p>

<p>check the filesize</p>

<p>put camera on high fps and then burst away till you notice the camera buffer gets ful land youre down to..well ..1fps</p>

<p>count the shots<br>

add file sizes<br>

and you will notice it most likley<br>

is more, way more, than your card can write in that time by its speed only</p>

<p>internal buffers are the problem</p>

<p>you should hoever get a decent card for the d810 as it will slow you down with landscape..soemtimes.<br>

longexposure writing times ... explodeeeeeeeee</p>

<p>i would recomment to burst as often as you can, rather to hang in there and push that button down till it cracks.<br>

set the camera to this:</p>

<p>show in view finder: remaining exposures<br>

stop bursting when it reaches 3-5<br>

start bursting again when it goes up to 5-8 </p>

<p>repeat and modify according to situation</p>

<p>with this technique you can shoot till you run out of battery on almost any camera.</p>

<p>for your purpose i would rly go along with shun's advice if i were you.<br>

i simply wanted to add some ideas to improve your highspeed troubles.</p>

<p>get a card that atleast has 60mb/s<br>

always...at least!!</p>