FD adapter for EOS 300D?

ric1

The Flange distance (distance from lens mount to film/sensor) is 44mm for the EOS system and 42mm for the FD system. So when you adapt an FD lens to EOS, you loose the ability to focus to infinity. Using an adapter with glass elements is a solution to that, but the image quality suffers and you have an additional focal length multiplier due to the added optics. As Rob stated above, FD lenses can be successfully used with any mirrorless system.

<p>Ed Mika makes a range of adaptors or lens conversions that don't require an extra optical element. Only certain FD lenses can be adapted - typically telephoto ones that can focus past infinity, so have a bit of wiggle room to be shortened by two millimetres.</p>

<p>I have a bunch of information here: http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html.</p>

<p>There's more here - http://bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html - but note that the Elephoto adapter described on that page is no longer available in the US</p>

<p>To make an FD lens fit on an EOS body without additional optics and still focus to infinity, the lens itself has to be modified which requires machining of the lens mount. It can be done but it's expensive and only worth it for a few of the more expensive FD lenses (long telephotos for example). I have an FD 500/4.5L which has been converted (I bought it that way, I didn't have the conversion done myself so I don't know who did it)</p>

<p>The best advice for mounting FD lenses on an EOS body is "don't". Unless you have a very special lens, or don't care too much about optical quality or just want to try it since you have a bag of FD lenses. Then, as long as you don't expect too much from it, a cheap FD to EOS adapter is easy to find (there are dozens on eBay and you can also get them from Adorama, B&H etc.).</p>

<p>The best solution, as Rob says, is to use the lens on one of the mirrorless cameras now available.<br>

If you want to use it at the actual focal length with auto diaphragm and all, you need to go to a film FD camera.<br>

A Canon T90 is as close to EF cameras in utility as anything out there, if you can get one without the dread-shutter-magnet problem. It's simply one of my favorites of all cameras then or now.</p>

<p>Many thanks. I now have the mirrorless Canon but this is raising further questions. Many more thanks - didn't realise there had been so many helpful responses. The mention that FDs can be used mirrorless greatly interests me.</p>

• 2 weeks later...