Currently available 120 E-6 films opinions/experience

<p>Hi Guys-<br /> <br />I'm getting the chrome bug again and have been shooting some Fuji Provia and Velvia. Ektachrome was my film of choice the last time I was shooting chromes, but as we well know, it is gone. I have shot some Velvia 50 and Provia so far, and am quite pleased with the Velvia- more Provia in processing now.<br /> I was just wondering: What are your opinions/experiences with the currently available 120 Format E-6 films? As far as I can tell that includes pretty much Fuji Velvia 50, Velvia 100, Provia 100F, and the Rollei CR200 film. <br /> <br />Pat<br>

<br />PS: Feel free to chime in about others as well! (Such as the Agfa CT Prescia which is available only in 35mm or Lomo films) I just titled this 120 as that is what I shoot most often</p>

<p>I had shot some CR200 a few years back in 35mm and as far I remember I liked it at the time. Will have to check it out. I plan to shoot all of the available film choices at some point. I am really looking forward to try to the Film Ferrania film! <br>

Thanks for the examples Alan! Nice pictures. I have been looking around online- and I know that is not the best way to get a true idea of a film, but I have liked what I have seen from Velvia 50 just a bit more than the 100. </p>

<p>cr 200 is very grainy. and goes off, yellowing, after a while. I bought a 100 foot roll and the first few were fine. but waited a year to shoot the next rolls and yellow. properly stores with all my other film so....if you get it shoot it as soon as possible.</p>

<p>otherwise shoot what is left, the velvia flavors and provia while you can. shoot often and buy fresh often. the only way to tell fuji to keep making it is to have sales climb. </p>

<p>Don't forget that you can push-process those films as well. I once shot a roll of Velvia 50 at 100 and compared it side-by-side with Velvia 100F, Velvia 100, and E100VS (all rated at 100) and found that I preferred it over all the ISO 100 films in many (not all) situations. Definitely a different look than actual Velvia 100.</p>

<p>Sometimes Velvia 100 looks good at 200, but contrast and saturation can be a bit extreme unless the light is really even. Provia 100F is much easier to control at ISO 200 and a I remember that a lot of people made it their standard ISO 200 film. And of course Provia looks great shot at its normal ISO.</p>

<p>My experience is that you have to approach pushing slide films with care. They are by nature contrasty and if pushed it increases contrast further . Depending on the scene that can cause more problems than it solves. Tends to be useful in dull, flat conditions and distinctly unhelpful when bright with strong shadows. But then of course there's less need to push in those conditions.</p>

<p>I also prefer ( or maybe I should say preferred since its a while since I shot film) Velvia 50 to all the other Velvia variants, and most especially to 100F which I tested and rejected on the basis of unpleasant colour rendition. Velvia 100 renders reds too strongly and gives a blue colour to green foliage. If I needed 100 ISO speed I reached for Provia 100F, being careful to use a mild warming filter for dull or shady conditions when this film is bluish.</p>

<p>Finally I should say that despite my preference for Velvia 50, it isn't a great film in every circumstance. In particular it will pick up and exaggerate every nuance of gentle colour in low light and turn a softly lit , hint of colour dawn or dusk into something far more garish and less pleasant. After seeing a lot of slides with soft blue dawns turned into unpleasant magentas, and impossibly bright sunsets, I concluded that Provia was a better bet for dawn and sunset too, again using a warm filter when the colour of light was bluish.</p>