Svema Foto 125, developement times

nikos_k

<p>I have acquired a bunch of old Svema Foto 125 film. The first shock to me was that it does not come in canisters. The second has been to discover that it does not come in canisters, but simply in rolls in some sort of foil.<br>

Where can I find the development times for that film with D-76 and Rodinal? I have checked at digital truth and found nothing.<br>

Does anybody have any experience with that film?</p>

<p>According to <a href=" 35mm SVEMA FN (Свема ФН) 125 person on Flickr</a>, it appears to be b&w film. Exposure and processing recommendations are on that Flickr page as well.</p>

<p>Odd way to package film. Even for retro nostalgia fans that would get tiresome pretty quickly. Might as well just sell it in bulk roll form, although I suppose the precut length might be moderately convenient for folks in an economy where every item had to be recycled.</p>

<p>@Charles, yes it is a black and white panchromatic film. Here is the only samples I have found on the web about it. There is also a plain "Svema 125" that indeed is color film. The look of its emulsion also is grey like that of the black and white films. Pretty confusing :-)<br>

@Lex and @Glen, It came in a packaging that I have never seen before. No canister, just rolled on a spool with black paper around it. Providing that I have opened it under room light would it be possible that light might have leaked onto the film through the inner tube of the spool? I have inserted it into an empty canister in complete darkness though.<br>

I love that film! It is a whole new experience right from opening its box! :-)</p>

<p>Bulk film, especially the shorter rolls (less than 100 feet), often had notches at lengths that would provide 36 exposure rolls if cut at the notch. Kodak sold their short bulk that way in the 60's. You could even buy Kodachrome in bulk in 27 1/2 foot rolls. Possibly packaging without cassettes was important if the film might be used in a camera that took something other than the standard 35mm cassette that is used now.</p>

<p>I remember Kodak bulk rolls with the tongue already cut, so you just go down the roll until you find it, cut it from the next roll, and spool it on. There was also a little tab to go into a slot in the spool, if you have spools with slots. Also, the frame numbers match up with the position on the roll. </p>

-- glen