Stuff that annoys wildlife photographers

<p>Gentlepersons:</p>

<p>Yikes, how rude. Why those folks must think it a public park rather than the private preserve for the all-important wildlife photographer. That is truly a display of temerity and failure to properly recognize their obvious betters.</p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

<p>This one's pretty specific to the US and Canada. When I'm out early in the day photographing landscapes, its not unusual to hear a vehicle braking sharply and then to be joined by a guy with a big lens asking "where's the bear?" or "Is that a moose you have there?" or "When I was here yesterday there was a whole family of wolves just playing about a mile away across that slope" Their disappointment and sometimes irritation when I explain that I haven't noticed any animals is palpable, as if they just don't get how anyone would want to take a picture without an animal or bird in it. Always makes me smile.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"its not unusual to hear a vehicle braking sharply and then to be joined by a guy with a big lens asking "where's the bear?"<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I had that happen once when shooting some interesting looking and hard to miss trees in a manicured roadside plot except the person had no camera. It was in Cape Cod where bears are not known to dwell. His family was in the vehicle and they seemed to slink down in their seats when I turned back to look their way. He was disappointed and even somewhat dismayed that there was no bear. <br /><br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Too bad the maker arranged for all the silly comments to come from a woman. Kinda perpetuates certain well-worn stereotypes. I was hoping to see a variety of folks making fools of themselves, not just one person, just like IRL.</p>

<p>Yeah, it's not my own personal preserve out there but it can be frustrating at times. One time I drove for an hour to where I could photograph elk, which are rare in my area. I got to the one rather unexceptional spot from where they are sometimes visible. I got the tripod, ballhead, camera, and long lens set up. Right then a car pulls up and parks, the driver apparently thinking that there must be something interesting since somebody had bothered to set up all that gear. The whole family piled out of the car to see whatever there was to see. The elk, at least 1000 feet away across an open valley, immediately took off. Time to take all that gear back down again...</p>

<p>This was after my previous visit where *I* had spooked the elk with my own carelessness. This time I was careful but that was not enough. You can't get any closer, either, since it's all private land once you leave the public road.</p>

<p>That was funny!</p>

<p>Last week, with a DSLR and a fully-extended 80-400 at the ready, I carefully approached a mockingbird perched in a mistletoe-laden mesquite that grows on a slope above one of the many arroyos here in Tucson. As I raised the camera to take the shot, a man some 15 years my senior hollered from the trail a few yards below, "Hey, girl! What are you stalking?"</p>

<p>I should have said, "A bear."</p>

actually the only truly annoying thing out there was the dog. You'll never get photographs of true "wild life" if

there's a dog within a half mile of you. In a real event versus a role play..........ah heck, snarl at the lady

and tell her to go drown her dog and learn to appreciate what true wildlife actually is.......