We shine together

<p>CMC is my favorite forum for several reasons, and over the past year, I've read many informative threads on a number of classic cameras out there. What <strong>camera</strong> makes you feel the most like a photographer? This is not a question on which is the best, but more the one that is an extension of you. The feel, the ease, the results, etc.</p>

<p>For me, it's the Rolleiflex TLR. I have used most models, and I can't state that I prefer one over the others. It's really about the way it feels in my hand. At present, I own the 3.5e and the 2.8d. Both serve me well, and I've done both commercial and personal work with them.</p>

<p>Since I don't have a portfolio here on photo.net, I will post some samples from my journey. Please feel free to post an image, or just share your feelings about that particular camera.</p><div>00cuR1-552028384.jpg.492e19643f40ee4673e08485bdbac35b.jpg</div>

<p>Unquestionably, the Mamiya 6.</p>

<p>It allows a great extension (or collaboration) of my approach in photography. Once it was the Plaubel Makina 670, which allowed mye a lot of very good MF photography and darkroom prints. I am also very close to my Fujifilm GSW690III, more clunky in operation than the smooth Mamiya 6, but fine on a tripod or for slower work. But the Mamiya has enough options for me (3 optics), although I do like the idea of the 43mm on a Mamiya 7. But we can't always have everything.</p>

<p>Charles, have you not thought of opening a Photo.Net portfolio for your photos and comment? I find that useful and the comments come over time and allow good feedback. You obviously have fun with your Rollei.</p>

<p>That Rolle is one fine camera. Above my price range when they were in production.<br>

My favorite camera, is my Nikkormat FT2 (does it even qualify within the Photo.net definition of Classic Cameras?There was a time when it didn't?<br>

The Nikkormat FT2 was my first purchase of a new camera. I was out of college and had a job for a few years, and had outgrown my previous used buys from such prestigious brands as Kowa. My mentor told me it's "all about the glass", he said "buy a decent body and excellent glass". What could be better than a Nikkormat FT2 with a Nikkor 50mm F1.2 lens?<br>

Today I have abut 3 of these find Nikkormats. They are enormously heavy compared to my DSLRs, but they are built like Sherman Tanks. I was about 26 when I bought that first FT2 in 76, and although it's winding arm is a tad looser, and it is brassing in spots on the edges, it is a fine tool.</p>

<div>00cuRT-552029584.thumb.jpg.25cc59b3d0594c461a056c274a4a8eef.jpg</div>

The bigger the camera the better, unless I am going to be carrying it for a long time. Going out in the field with my old 8x10 Seneca field camera, tripod and bag of film holders then spot metering the scene, and making notes as to development, focusing on the ground glass, setting the aperture and shutter speed, inserting the film holder and removing the dark slide, pressing the shutter release, reinserting the dark slide and removing the film holder, that makes me feel like a real photographer.

As for old CMCs like my FED-2, It looks like a piece of machinery - real machinery with knobs, dials and chrome steel. It is a machine for creating photographs not a not a black plastic box for taking pictures. Being an engineer by trade, I admire well built machinery.

James G. Dainis

<p>John Seaman: Thanks. Would love to see some of those Rollei images. There are so many great cameras out there. I chose this forum because most of the shooters here have been through the many different formats that photography has to offer...</p>

<p>James Dainis: That's what I'm talking about. The camera that makes you feel that way.</p>

<p>I was thinking about something like this a week ago. I'm split between my 1951 Rolleiflex and my 1942 Leica IIIc. I love them both! I suppose all in all I get better photos from the Rolleiflex, but find the little Leica more versatile with my four lenses. Both feel "instinctive" in my hand. I like a camera that I don't even have to think about.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p><div>00cuTl-552034684.jpg.3ebf913de80686811d0b4478784bf740.jpg</div>

<p>Sigh, these look great. I have two Rollei K1, one Rollecord 1, and my dads 1952 K4b, and not one roll of film has been through them since acquisition. Just no time even though I have the film waiting.</p>

<p>I love the square image and try to crop my digital work to it if the composition works well.</p>

<p>CHEERS...</p>

<p>For me, definitely the Rolleiflex's (3.5F or 2.8C, or Automat) feel a natural extension of my body, mind and vision. I don't feel like I'm using a machine in between myself and the subject, and the subjects are always relaxed and fully themselves. An example from a street walk in San Francisco Mission district:</p>

<p><a title="In the spirit of photo safari: old lady in front of graffiti by Zheng, on Flickr" href=" In the spirit of photo safari: old lady in front of graffiti src="https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3175/3060118135_93605c43e1_z.jpg?zz=1" alt="In the spirit of photo safari: old lady in front of graffiti" width="627" height="640" /></a></p>

<p>Terrific work with the Rollei, <strong>Charles</strong>; much as I admire the camera I found it a little lacking in versatility in respect of the work I found myself doing, and opted for the Pentax 6x7 system, which served me well for many years. Here's a pic of the camera and a few random samples of it's images.</p><div>00cuUr-552037784.jpg.387642efabf311c64253f1a75215706c.jpg</div>