Any practical trick to mute or reduce D3s shutter noise ?

hoi_kwong

<p>Anyone know the sound-deadening properties of the self-expanding builder's foam you can get in aerosols?</p>

<p>If you wrapped your camera in some clingfilm and a couple layers of aluminium foil, I guess you could kinda embed it? (It does get warm when it sets, so don't forget the foil!)</p>

<p>It can be cut and shaped after it's gone off....so you could make a hinged, close-fitting clam-shell block. If you set a 1/4 tripod nut (in a small block of wood?) in the foam, you could attach it to a tripod.</p>

<p>It also occured to me, if you had the camera on WiFi or Camranger, the whole thing could be very well sound (and water?) sealed as LV and most controls can be set from 'outside'....and viewed via a smart device.</p>

<p>Barry seems to be the only one that understands that the objective here is to unobtrusively take pictures during a piano recital, and not an opportunity to conduct a science fair experiment. It also underscores that this is<em> primarily a boyze with toys</em> photographic equipment site. Not to mention that in initial post the OP states that a blimp is not an option.</p>

<p>There are a number of cameras with silent/quiet shutters and no flapping mirrors that probably have more than good enough IQ for how the images will be used. </p>

<p>Bruce R, the OP's Question is..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any practical trick to mute or reduce <em><strong>D3S</strong></em> shutter noise</p>

</blockquote>

<p>....and you suggest buying a different camera? Well, that's not really that helpful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did some research, some suggested camera blimp but it's not practical or too big to carry around</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Many of the suggested options needn't be big or overly cumbersome. Most are no bigger than a camera bag, which one could assume the OP will be carrying the kit in the first place.....along with a tripod probably.</p>

<p>My foam box blimpette is smaller than a medium sized camera bag anyway....and it has a carry handle..:-)</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

It has been awhile since I shot with a D3s. I am current shooting with a D4s in conjunction with my EOS 1D X, and this

weekend I discovered a feature about shooting in the D4s live view mode. There are actually two live view modes for still

photography with the 4s: Quiet and Silent. Quiet and Silent. The first is the standard live view mode and while it is much

quieter than using the.camera as an SLR , ithere is still a fair amount of noise. Silent mode on the other hand is exactly

that: absolutely silent. It is quieter than a Leica M-seriies rangefinder, and quieter than using a DSLR as an SLR in a

Jacocobson Instruments Spund Blimp.

The downside of Silent mode is that the camera can only shoot in the JPEG format , no raw capture.

I expect you are not going to run out and rent a D4s for this project that you are shooting for your friend, but you might

check to see of the D3s has a quiet live view shooting mode.

<p>Having shot a local orchestra several times, the only practical way if you want to use what you already have is to shoot during a rehearsal. Thats what I do. Then I try to just enjoy the performance. Though take your camera with you to the main performance just in case (see below).</p>

<p>In addition to getting your shots, your goal is to minimize the distraction to the audience and performers, so anything that looks awkward is also going to cause a "silent" distraction. Part of this is representing yourself as professional - a home brew solution might work, but it might also cause a distraction. In my case since its an orchestra, I can simply wait for a loud aggressive part of the music where it will overpower the shutter sounds. But again I try to do all my shooting at the rehearsal.</p>

<p>The issue I have had with final rehearsal is that that most of the orchestra including the conductor shows up half dressed, leaving suite coats off, etc. I had one where a local star performer showed up for rehearsal in jeans and t-shirt, then changed afterwords into a stunning red dress, and I missed it because I left my camera somewhere else for the main performance thinking and wondering why she would do this in a T-Shirt.... So, like all events... Good communication is key if you want to get your photos from the rehearsal. Simple things like reminding them to dress fully since its picture day, and if there is a conductor that he/she knows what your plan is.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"I'm helping my friend, the pianist, to shoot his recital in a 400 capacity small theater. Not a paid job, anyway."<br /><br />If that's the case, it doesn't even need to be a rehearsal as such. Go early with your friend, go out on the stage before the audience is there and shoot to your heart's content. He can play chopsticks if you want, just as long as it looks like he's playing. Just don't show the (lack of) audience. Depending on the layout of the room, during the concert maybe get a couple of quick shots from behind him to show the audience and a coulpe of quick wide shots fro the back of the hall to show the audience in the foreground (both shot during loud passages) and youre done.</p>

<p>I shoot concerts with D300s often (have one today) and I shoot the sound check to get most of the closer shots, even right in with the orchestra. During the performance I find a couple of strategic locations and get the longer shots during the louder portions. I have to say, some of the suggestions for DIY blimps are very interesting. I was a propman on movie sets for 25 years and always envied the still photographers with their Jacobson blimps.</p>

<p>Mike, you should check out the cost of the actual "blimps" that are used for shooting on movie sets. It would be much cheaper for the OP to rent equipment. However if Ellis' solution works for the OP's camera, than there a decent no cost solution. <br>

See: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Gear-Protection/ci/11818/pn/2/N/4077634550 and <br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Gear-Protection/ci/11818/N/4077634550<br>

These "professional" blimps damper 90% of the noise. That may be enough for a concert. Maybe he can rent one of those. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"If that's the case, it doesn't even need to be a rehearsal as such. Go early with your friend, go out on the stage before the audience is there and shoot to your heart's content."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That makes total sense, and not just because it solves the noise problem. <br>

<br>

Solo piano recitals rarely result in interesting photos if a photographer's movement is restricted. Few pianists are physically expressive while performing so every shot will look pretty much the same unless you can shoot from unexpected perspectives. Of course the pictures won't be of the actual performance but that might matter less compared to the alternative. </p>

<p>About mid way into the thread, the OP pointed out:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And.... I'm helping my friend, the pianist, to shoot his recital in a 400 capacity small theater. Not a paid job, anyway.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At least to me, it sounds like since this is not a paid job, renting any equipment, mirrorless cameras, blimp, etc. is pretty much out of the question.</p>

<p>And since the OP is doing the pianist, who is a friend, a favor, if it were me, I would take pictures:</p>

<ol>

<li>During the (dress?) rehearsal and prior to the actual performance</li>

<li>During the performance although there are going to be quite a bit of restrictions</li>

<li>If you realize that you may be missing some important shots, you can always get the pianist to post after the concert for some additional shots.</li>

</ol>

<p>Absolutely no additional equipment is necessary. It'll take a little more time, but I can't imagine that the OP is not quite well covered.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Any quick and effective trick to reduce the D3s shutter noise ? or other suggestions to take picture in silent and tiny environment like talk show or lecture in small classroom ?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When I am shooting in a theatre or in an audio recording studio, I use a technique I learned from the Jubilee Theatre, Fort Worth, Texas, official photographer seen in the photo below. I use the SLR during the noisy passages and a quiet compact during the quiet passages.</p>

<p> photographer00cYZJ-547833584.JPG.d80f36bc31d0e4ca1f5ec76b7f510545.JPG</div>