What lens do you recommend for event and outdoor photography?

gia_rucco

<p>Hello! My name is Gia and I have had my camera for little over a year now. I have Canon T3i. I have the kit lens (18-55mm) and I have been using my 40mm pancake lens. <br>

I am starting to get into event photography (charity, birthday's, family reunions, etc.) and I really do enjoy shooting outdoors. I was wondering if you guys recommend a specific lens that would be good for both or if you recommend getting separate lenses for both. I really am up to any advice on this! <br>

Thanks for your time in advance! :)</p>

<p>There's quite a bit you can do with the 18-55 you already have, so before you rush out to buy anytning else I would shoot with that and see what shots you are missing that require something else. Since you are covered on the wide to normal range, the next lens you will likely find a need for is something in the normal to telephoto range. IMHO, the two most essential lenses that allow a photographer to cover the widest range of subject matter with a minimal amount of gear is a 24-70 and a 70-200, both 2.8. If I had what you have I would buy a 70-200 2.8 (it can be a Tamron or Sigma, not necessarily Canon), then eventually replace the 18-55 with th4e 24-70. The third lens in my lineup is a 12-24 to cover the really wide end of things.<br /><br />For events you also need a good external flash, and learn how to use it properly.</p>

<p>For still good, but much less expensive lenses, look at such lenses as the EF-S 55-250mm IS lens. If you're willing to boost the ISO up, you don't absolutely need f/2.8.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if you're made of money, get the best right off.</p>

<p>If you're going to be a little removed from your subjects (whether during events or while outdoors), I'd recommend the EF 70-200/4 L IS. It's only one stop slower than its f/2.8 sibling, but costs half a much. And it delivers stunning image quality.</p>

<p>I use my 70-200/4 L IS on my 7D outdoors to photograph my children, nature, and landscapes more than any other lens by far.</p>

<p>Outdoors and events have little different needs as long as you don't have lots and lots of money to burn. Weatherproofing (for outdoors) can be left out, since Canon don't offer that. While an outdoors photographer usually tries to keep the pack light and might pick sharp slow compact primes, an events shooter might go for the heavy f2.8 zooms line with IS or substitutes that with a in summary similar heavy line of rather fast primes on multiple bodies.<br>

What do you have in mind? -Something like the 18-135mm IS with just more zoom reach? Or a 10-**mm wide below your kit zoom and a not too expensive long zoom above?<br>

Both are solutions that work well in both fields if you get a flash for the events too. Personally I never seriously went for the f2.8 zooms line. That stuff is expensive - $3k burned for an f-stop of focusing convenience / speed and enough weight gathered to dream of leaving that bag back at home...<br>

f2.8 is no cure all with events. when you shoot a midrange zoom wide open DOF poofs. - Sure you could use that efect to isolate one face in the crowd but most customers / family members appreciate to see all faces in a picture rather sharp, so events benefit from being shot at a mid range f-stop with flash. <br>

Stick to your kit zoom & add the 55-250mm JDM mentioned as a next step. A bit later ponder gettting a 2nd body and something wide. - Skipping the 18-50 and shooting a 12-24 on one and the 55-250 on the other body is an option that works</p>

<p>When I attend family events - birthdays, holidays, etc. I use the 100mm macro (for portraits) and Sigma 30mm 1.4 for indoor shots (along with a flash) <br>

And sometimes outdoors (beach, picnic) I'll bring the 100-400 or 55-250IS</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For events, consider a second body in case your first one stops working. You don't want to be stuck with a non-functioning camera in your hands.</p>

<p>And consider using off camera flash which could be mounted to either a bracket or a light stand.</p>

<p>As for lenses, probably start with something longer since you have wide angle covered. The 70-200 f/4L IS is an amazing lens.</p>

<p>For event photography, I would look into the 70-200 F4. For outdoor the 16-35mm or if you don't have deep pockets the 17-70mm Sigma is not a bad alternative. You can also use the Sigma for events, but sometimes you need the reach of the 70-200.</p>

<p>Hi Gia<br /> The focal length of your 18-55 kit lens is enough to cover most typical events pictures. However, I think your set up lacks three things:</p>

<ol>

<li>Flash - a good powerful flash will allow you to modify the light falling on your subjects and overcome a general lack of light</li>

<li>A telephoto for distant subjects and isolating subjects from their background (the reason you are getting lots of recommendations for 70-200 lenses)</li>

<li>A lens with a larger maximum aperture (lower f number) to allow you cope with lower light levels without raising the ISO as much, and to help separate subjects from their background. Most pros shoot with more expensive f/2.8 zooms for this reason.</li>

</ol>

<p>Hope this helps<br /> Chris</p>