powering up electronic devices during security check

ron_erwin1

<p>According to <a name="28"></a><a href="http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=44">Steven E. Frischling</a>, of the Flying with Fish blog, any electronic devices (including digital cameras) that do not power up properly during the security check must be disposed of or turned over to TSA immediately. The passenger is no longer allowed to exit the security area and recharge. Not all travelers are being subjected to the special screenings, but you should be careful to have your devices ready to power up if you're going to fly.</p>

<p>Can you imagine having a new D800 confiscated just because the battery failed? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm somewhat concerned about my Laptop. - I don't have a working battery for it at all and see no personal need to get one.<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I think the worry is that a battery which does not power up the device might be an explosive disguised as a battery. If you don't have a battery at all then you don't need to prove it's real.</p>

<p>Here in the UK the rules seem to be interpreted like this. Spot checks will be carried out on battery powered devices on routes to certain destinations (i.e. US). If they power up - OK. If not then security will have a selection of chargers. If no luck with these then they will send the device to your home address, BA said at their expense, Virgin initially said at the traveller's expense but may have changed that. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think the worry is that a battery which does not power up the device might be an explosive disguised as a battery. If you don't have a battery at all then you don't need to prove it's real.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Try explaining to a TSA agent that you don't have a battery in your laptop!! Rules are rules; it doesn't turn on--off to the crusher!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think the worry is that a battery which does not power up the device might be an explosive disguised as a battery. If you don't have a battery at all then you don't need to prove it's real.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's part of it. But the real concern is that the entire device (the whole or some of the interior) of the can't-be-turned-on laptop could be used to contain explosives - or some of the components to assemble them while in flight.<br /><br />Laptop batteries can be had for cheap. Think of it this way: right now, your laptop is no better than a desktop machine - one little power ripple from the wall/grid, and your machine is going to suffer the consequences, possibly corrupting files during an unexpected hard restart. By having a battery - even a lightweight, cheap third party replacement - you've got yourself protection against power sags and flickers. And if you travel a lot, those few dollars spent will spare you a lot of potential annoyance while you explain, over and over, that your seemingly dead-as-a-doornail laptop is just a flat desktop computer you can't start up as proof that it's benign.</p>

<p>Some enterprising people will set up shop at these airports with spare batteries (at high prices). The airline attendant at the gate will call the battery service for you as you wait with your dead device and they will quickly bring the specific battery to sell you so you can proceed with your electronic device through checkout. </p>

<p>I flew from London Heathrow terminal 5 to Houston, TX on BA last Friday and experienced these new rules. First, the BA agent told me to leave my digital camera in my carryon luggage as it was not considered to be an electronic device. (Why not, I do not know.) Anything else that could be considered to be an electronic device needed to be placed in the grey box used for laptops. This meant portable external hard drives for laptops even though they do not have a power on switch, cell phones, hyperdrives, ipads, readers, etc. Their thinking was that you are better off not to have anything in your carry on luggage that could be deemed to be an electronic device, so put it in the grey box.<br>

I was not selected to turn on the devices so I cannot report on how this went. I did not see anyplace in security where you could plug in an electronic device, so if it is not charged up, you could be out of luck. The security area where this takes place is removed from airline agents so I do not see how they could provide any assistance.<br>

One additional matter you need to know about. On my flight and on some others near me, after you were gate checked to board the cabin for your flight, you were subjected to a second security check that was done randomly as you walked to the cabin of the airplane. This included body checks and carry on luggage checks. IMO this was done using profiling as well as random selection. Frankly this made good sense to me. It did not delay the flight in any way.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>Ye, the flight leaves on time. The problem is you have to get to the terminal earlier and earlier to go through all the security checks. Not that I'm saying it's not required in this age of terrorism. But, it sure does remove some of the fun of flying and complicates getting ready to travel. </p>

<p>Alan, you are right about the added time burden on you. Based on my recent European trip, if you have to transfer to a connecting flight, like I did, you need to allow lots of time--the one hour the airlines allow is not sufficient IMO. Three hours is a lot safer. It can take forever to get through passport control and then security. <br>

Joe Smith</p>

• 1 month later...