Photography Equipment Insurance

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I'm currently adding lenses to my arsenal and I figure now is a good time to get insurance as its easy to rack up some $$$ in equipment these days. I am a non-profesional Canadian who lives most of the year in Mexico. I also travel to other countries that makes me hesitatant taking out my camera. <br /><br /><br>

I've been looking online for insurance that would alow me a piece of mind. I'm not sure where to look or where to start. Which insurance company is better? Wich type of insurance? Do I need profesional insurance as I'm using profesional gear? Will I be covered while traveling?</p>

<p>Any tips/suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! </p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Mike</p>

<p>This company specializes in coverage for photographic, lighting, computer gear for travel, location shoots, etc., domestic or international. I get about $20K coverage for all contingencies for about $500 a year.</p>

Tom C. Pickard & Co., Inc.

820 Pacific Coast Highway

Hermosa Beach, CA 90254

Phone: (800) 726-3701

Fax: (310) 318-9840

<p>For a professional, insurance is more about liability -- what happens if your light stand falls over the hits somebody in the head -- than replacement cost of equipment. If you're not shooting professionally, speak first with the agent who handles your homeowner's insurance. Making sure that a few thousand dollars worth of photo gear used for non-professional purposes is covered is no different than making sure a few thousand dollars worth of jewelry is covered. Maybe I've been lucky, but in 40 years of photography I've never had a piece of equipment lost, stolen or significantly damaged. <br /><br />There's no such thing as professional gear, only gear that is used professionally. A Nikon D4 is an amateur camera if you've never sold a picture from it. An iPhone is a professional camera if you have.<br /><br />Cameras are meant to be used -- don't be hesitant to take them out and used them. if you don't, you're a camera collector, not a photographer. :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I use State Farm (in California) and have had some of my fellow photographers use it too. I and one of them have both had large losses (new 500 mm on 7D0 dropped in lake) all covered with NO hassle.<br>

You do NOT need to have any other insurance with them. </p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I use State Farm (in California) and have had some of my fellow photographers use it too. I and one of them have both had large losses (new 500 mm on 7D0 dropped in lake) all covered with NO hassle.<br /> You do NOT need to have any other insurance with them.</p>

<p>I just got dropped by State Farm. I lost a carbon fiber tripod in Colombia an Feb 2013 and I had to have my Canon G12 repaired after returning from Mongolia a couple of months ago. Total payout from State Farm was about $800 for both. If you get State Farm don't fill a second claim or you will be looking for insurance again like me.</p>