Beginners first "proper" camera

ian_harvey4

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm looking to upgrade from my old point and shoot to a dslr or maybe a micro 4/3 camera.I've done research online but there is so much conflicting views/opinions it gets me confused.So i have £800 or $1343 for a camera.I will mainly be shooting wildlife and landscapes.Any seggestions on lenses and cameras would be great!<br>

Thanks in advance for any replies,Ian</p>

<p>Hi Ian, my advice would be to buy a canon 60d or equivalent. I'm sure you can get them with like the 18-200mm kit lens or 18-135mm. Would be a great all round lens enabling you get quite wide shots all the way to telephoto. <br>

What I would do is watch as many reviews as possible on youtube and see if you like the look of the camera as these days image quality with most DSLRs in this price bracket regardless of make is minimal. Perhaps pop down to Jessops or something and have a feel of the camera before parting with the cash. <br>

Just had a quick look on jessops like and you can get the 60d with the 18-135mm for £679.<br>

If you want any other help just let me know. I think it will just come down to ergonomics of the camera for you. Hope you get a nice DSLR and enjoy shooting!</p>

<p>Hi Ian, welcome to Photo.net</p>

<p>The range of cameras available is quite bewildering isn't it?</p>

<p>The reality is that there are numerous camera in your price range that will be very capable of taking good landscape pictures and handling tame (or large) wildlife with the addition of a modestly priced telephoto zoom lens. If you want to photograph shy or small wildlife it can get very expensive very quickly ;-)</p>

<p>I would suggest going into a store and handling some cameras. If you don't mind carrying some weight and are inclined towards maximum image quality and versatility start with the entry level DSLRs from the major manufacturers (Nikon, Canon and possibly Sony or Pentax).</p>

<p>If a smaller package suits you better by all means look at the smaller system cameras on offer. These days you are unlikely to notice a difference in image quality particularly if your pictures never go further than the internet (although when you get experienced you might!)</p>

<p>Recognize that as you learn, your photography may well go off in unexpected directions and your first "proper" camera will not last you forever. By the time you have mastered it; you will know what you need next.</p>

<p>If I was recommending to a friend with your requirements I would suggest:<br>

Nikon D3300<br>

Nikon 17-55mm kit lens - landscapes and general photography<br>

Nikon 55-300mm zoom - for wildlife on a budget<br>

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G for low light work (optional)<br>

Nikon Capture NX2 software (I like, but others prefer Adobe)</p>

<p>Hope this helps</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for another great answer<br>

You have just made my decision much harder! I havent really looked into nikon cameras yet so I will do some research into them.Just one quick question insted of having multiple lenses would be better to get one good lens or get multiple ones? <br>

Thanks,Ian</p>

<p>As a rule of thumb, the longer the zoom range the more compromised the image quality is likely to be.</p>

<p>So, if you need both wide angle (for landscapes) and telephoto (for wildlife); two lenses will give better image quality than a single super zoom (e.g. an 18-200mm).</p>

<p>The best lens (for image quality) I own is also the cheapest, partly because it doesn't zoom - the 35mm f/1.8G</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Which option is better canon or nikon...<br>

Canon: canon 60d with 18-135mm kit<br>

canon 50mm f/1.8 <br>

Nikon: d3300 with 18-55mm kit<br>

nikon 35mm f/1.8G <br>

or spend more money on the body either 70d or d5300 and only use the kit lens?</p>

<p>Choose between Canon & Nikon based on how the cameras handle (try in store). They feel different and have different ways of changing settings.</p>

<p>I don't use Canons, but for Nikon there is no appreciable difference in the quality of the images between the D3300 and the D5300. The latter has a better auto-focus system (only really matters for fast moving subjects), GPS, Wi-Fi and a swivelling LCD screen. If these are important to you go for the D5300.</p>

<p>Both are more modern and capable of better image quality than mine (I use a D90)</p>

<p>The kit lens will cover most situations and it's easier to learn with just one lens. I suspect you'll want more reach eventually for wildlife though.</p>

<p>Welcome to the "bottomless pit" that is photography!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ian,</p>

<p>So many choices, so little time. There really isn't a best solution. I personally shoot with Pentax, but Pentax is a bit more limited in lenses than Canon and Nikon, and if I was starting over, I'd probably choose one of the 'big two' just to have the lens selection available even though you can find plenty of decent lenses for Pentax. Actually, I was thinking about switching systems recently, but when I compared the Pentax K-5ii (the one I own) to other cameras in a similar price range, most reviews had it either on top or so close, I couldn't justify the expense or switching out all my gear. Plus, one advantage of Pentax is that the lens mount will work with basically any lens ever made for Pentax, while Nikon and Canon have both switched lens mounts at times. Also, the K-5II has in-body image stabilization, which really does work nicely and makes all of your lenses stabilized. Hmm, maybe I'd recommend Pentax after all.</p>

<p>One thing you might consider, if you have friends that are into photography, perhaps you want to shoot the same brand they shoot so you can share lenses or at least test theirs on your own camera to see if you'd be interested in a similar purchase. You really won't go wrong with any mid-level DSLR, so buying by price might be the best way to decide.</p>

its rather impossible to find one single common suggestion, so much stuff and by the time you make up your mind new stuff is out and you are rethinking everything...

When you buy a camera beside body and kit lens you will have a whole system of other lenses etc that you will end with. So its worth looking whats available in terms of other lenses, new and used etc... If you want to use old manual lenses also (which can become a thing on its own) you want a body that gives you flexibility with those too... Since in the future you might upgrade the body but keep using the lenses, at first might be worth considering saving some money looking a good used camera and diverting the extra towards all the rest of the equipment when you know a bit better which direction your photography will take...

<p>Thanks for all the responses!<br>

I have narrowed it down to the 60d and the 70d. Is the 70d worth the extra money? or should i get the 60d and better/more lenses.But if I was going for the 60d would there be much difference between it and the 700d?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have narrowed it down to the 60d and the 70d. Is the 70d worth the extra money?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> There are numerous reviews online that compare the 60D and the 70D. If you are shooting video, the 70D is definitely better. If you are concerned about shutter lag, the 70D is significantly better. If you are concerned about microfocus adjustment, it's only on the 70D. There are other differences but probably less important. I will say that the touch screen is terrific, since I picked up a 70D I am always trying to touch the screen on other cameras to try and make changes.</p>

This question gets asked a lot. People generally respond by describing what they use, but the real answer tends to be

more personal to you. Selection of a starter camera (a so called serious camera) is really a selection of a manufacturer

which you may stay with for life (unless you buy a lot of cameras like me). For me it was Minolta, for others it's Nikon or

Canon. Whatever you buy you will probably become used to and the others will seem somewhat alien. Nikon and Canon

appeal to pros because of their superior support and their extensive lines. Minolta/Sony appeal to people who like

innovation over selection. Leica appeals to people who can afford it and who like the rangefinder (which is me really, at

least the like part, I struggle with affordability). If there still are any, go to the local camera store and try some out and

since you are going to make mistakes you might consider buying used from someone like KEH or B&H Photo (or the local

equivalent) so that you can do your learning more cheaply. But be careful about making big investments in manufacturers

before you are sure it's the one for you.

<p>Ian, in general (regardless of which brand or model camera you pick): get the zoom kit lens to get started; combined with the camera you spend a lot less for it than you would afterwards. They may not be the most glamorous piece of gear, but they're versatile, useful and will get you up and running quickly. Getting only a 50mm f/1.8 to get started is, in my view, not a great idea. You will miss the wider angles, especially for landscapes and such. And even then, on these (APS-C sensor size) cameras, I find 50mm to be not that useful - a short-ish portrait lens. Far from an allrounder.</p>

<p>As for selecting the camera: as other said, try them in a store. Feel how it sits in your hand, and whether you find buttons and controls easy to reach and operate. Handling matters. Yes, the amount of choice is vast, and it is attractive to just select a brand, but a camera that isn't comfortable to handle is a camera that in time will stay at home... wasted money.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>I know the kind of problems all of you guys face especially when most of us haven't been to any professional photography schools. It's the same with me especially when it comes to choosing lenses and cameras and what the best professional combination is. I developed my interest just 2 years ago and I've been relying heavily on online tutorials and communities like these to gain the necessary knowledge. Last month a friend recommended to me some websites like http://beagreatphotographer.net/ and a couple of YouTube videos that gave some advice on general photography and also some techniques on making it look professional. I guess these mediums might have a lot of tips on picture styles too like vivid and landscape etc. and this might solve your problem.</p>